• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

shanethewolfzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Telltale - Second Coming or The Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse?

Poll: Telltale - Second Coming or The Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse?
Total Votes: 13
Lord T.T. - Our Savior of the Adventure Genre
Lord T.T. - Devourer of REAL Adventures

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I think the thread title says it all.

Feel free to share everything that’s on your heart and that you were not allowed to state in other threads.

Please discuss…

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yeah beating this dead horse sounds like a lot of fun.. not Wink
But really, the truth is somewhere in between those two poll options. They make good quality games that represent the genre. And they also make games that have been minimizing their label as adventure. Theyr not “the second coming”, and theyr not “ruining the genre”.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

You are completely correct the title does say it all.

It says you are not interested in any kind of intelligent discussion on the matter and just want to coax a flame war.

not interested.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I really enjoyed some of the Tales of Monkey Island and Sam & Max episodes, but currently I don’t care. QTE is certainly the lowest point of game [s]evolution[/s] degradation, so they lost me after introducing it. And their storytelling/writing is nothing special to grab me.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

From what I remember, Telltale really were seen as the second coming when Sam & Max Season 1 came out and Tales of Monkey Island came out. By almost everyone. People were thrilled and saw it as a sort of revival of Lucasarts. Traditional games were still being made by other developers, but this time with real quality.

When Jurassic Park came out I saw where they were going, and lost interest. That’s fine, as it’s a matter of taste. It doesn’t bother me because I don’t see anything close to an exodus to the “tap x to move arm” style games. If I did, I would probably be upset and see them as the “devourer of real adventure games” but at the moment it’s only another option for gamers.

So I think this is all a reaction by a minority TO a minority once again claiming traditional adventures are dead and a certain “new way” is the future. Just look at this article and how it tries to make a sweeping argument out of a few unconnected statements by new developers: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026802/how-adventure-games-came-back-from-the-dead.html It happened before with the invention of 3D, the rise of action games, complaints about the puzzles being too hard. Each time it was untrue, all just a mixture of publisher marketing and media hype eager to discredit the “games of old” to push their latest game or article.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

You may want to read this:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/1845/

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Every thread that’s had ANY connection (however minor) with Telltale has had this discussion. Ad. Nauseum.
Go look one of them up instead of making a new and particularly meaningless one. Nothing is ever either black or white, there’s also a lot of gray.

This thread isn’t going to happen.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top