• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Most romantic adventure game?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Detective Mosely - 05 March 2014 05:22 PM

Has anyone seen the movie Her?

Yeah! The biggest snub at the Oscars. Smile

Detective Mosely - 05 March 2014 05:22 PM

Something like that I think could make for a fantastic storyline for a game.  Not it being about a relationship with an AI, but the uncliched twists and turns keeping the plot feeling fresh, even if it’s only focused on one relationship.

I’d also love to see a game deal with time in a more movie like way.  Like for example they could have the game start out with the player being young and meeting a love interest, and them falling in love.  (with puzzles along the way, both dialogue and inventory based)

Then fast forward to when they’re married, and they have some sort of major crisis in their marriage.  Perhaps giving the player the ability to work towards keeping them together or breaking them up.

And then a fast forward to the end of their life, when they’re reflecting on the choices they’ve made and their lives as a whole.

As people have said, the quality of the game would all come down to the writing.  But it’s definitely doable, and I’d love to see more games try things like this.

Here I am talking about To The Moon again but it does a bit of this, just without the puzzles parts and choices… Smile

I do like the ideas being thrown around about games being more about relationships ahd their gameplay revolving around emotions. Games like Gone Home, To The Moon, Dear Esther we are moving in that direction, I think the “freshness” of the theme (and quality of writing) is one of the reasons these games are so highly appraised. Now the next step could be adding some more gameplay interactions that would make sense in a game world.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Fascinating topic!

I have to say I don’t find talks of any “format” appealing at all, and in fact a little bit creepy to have a game with a goal of “get the girl”. Romance doesn’t work like that, it needs to be spontaneous to work, not with all the scheming and overthinking like you get in Phoenix Wright.

I can’t suggest a plot because I’m not a brilliant writer but the game would definitely need to be a totally original idea like Detective Moseley’s, with mechanics unique to the particular game.

Even then, I still have doubts. I don’t know if any game with romance as THE main plot could work. A game is a game BECAUSE it has a goal, and if winning your love is the goal it ceases to be romantic and enters “creepy” territory. That’s why the best in-game romances are tied to other plot points like crime-solving or treasure-hunting adventures.

The reason Leisure Suit Larry is unromantic (in everyone’s eyes but Larry’s) is because the purpose of the game IS to win the girl. That’s all fine in the realm of expert swingers but it has nothing to do with love.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Writing definetly is one of the key elements here. And there should be a good game there as well that works beyond those interactive novel games. To The Moon did do well on this. The idea of LA Noire intuiton style convesation could be worth a try as well.

Indie developers have clearly seen the potential for this already. I’d guess the they are who to watch for this types of games.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

tomimt - 05 March 2014 05:45 PM

Writing definetly is one of the key elements here. And there should be a good game there as well that works beyond those interactive novel games. To The Moon did do well on this

Did it really? I don’t recall much of a game there unless you count walking around fetching stuff (I don’t).

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Zifnab - 05 March 2014 05:40 PM

A game is a game BECAUSE it has a goal

I don’t think that has to be true with story based games.  What’s the goal of TWD?  To survive?  For how long?  There’s not really an end goal in mind for the characters besides staying alive as long as possible.

That’s one of the things I think is really exciting about Telltale’s current direction.  I think that type of gameplay can be put in almost any genre of fiction, as it’s all about the characters, the story, and the choices you make.  (though of course you’d have to lose the quicktime events if they don’t fit the story)

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

As a game I might give To the Moon a bit more credit than it deserves, as I really liked the story, but it also managed to be a bit more than an interactive novel. And for what it was it wasn’t unnecessarily long. Though I really should play it again to see if the balance of it is as good I recall.

Then there’s games like Dear Esther, which I just couldn’t get into. Now that I found to be a boring case.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think Gone Home and To The Moon are great games but you’re playing from the perspectives of outsiders to the relationships and seeing how they developed through time and how it affected the characters.

What if a game is played from a perspective of the person in the relationship, for example, the role of Samantha in Gone Home and the goal would not be to “get the girl” or something like that but, just make some choices how to evolve the relation and seeing how they affect the companion or family, might be an interesting point of view.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Did anyone play ‘Alter Ego’ (the 1986 one, not the 2010 one)???

It’s not really an adventure game but sort of a “life simulator” where you start at birth and answer a number of multiple choice questions that make you choose your path in life.
Flirting, romancing, dating, wedding, having kids, growing old together, etc. - all part of the possibilities. Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

There’s actually an Android version of Alter Ego as well, I haven’t played the original, but I did get it for my phone some time ago. It’s fun little thing, but after a couple of games, ending with different kinds of results, the interest just wore off.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tomimt - 06 March 2014 08:33 AM

There’s actually an Android version of Alter Ego as well

And you can play it for free in a web browser, too.

From the looks of it, apart from some changed icons, it’s identical to the original (which I’ve played)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Zifnab - 05 March 2014 05:40 PM

The reason Leisure Suit Larry is unromantic (in everyone’s eyes but Larry’s) is because the purpose of the game IS to win the girl. That’s all fine in the realm of expert swingers but it has nothing to do with love.

The LSL goal was to sleep with the women, nothing to do with Romance at all.

I don’t think a Romance game would be “Creepy” after all virtually any other media can pull it off without it being so.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

This is an interesting thread, romance is one of my favourite genres in any entertainment, together with sci-fi, fantasy and mystery. Basically the reason I love film noir is the combination of mystery, romance and the dry type of humour they usually have. Then sci-fi noir is something that I just have to check out because it has almost everything I could possibly want.

I noticed several people mentioned The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav being a romantic game and I got all excited and installed it now (had id downloaded from GOG for ages already).

I’d love to have more adventures (and other games too like RPGs) revolve around romance. It doesn’t have to be the only focus - and it shouldn’t be either since no one’s life is only about romance. Having something else there just makes it more interesting and more real. I never could immerse myself into those horrible soaps but I just adore when there are some real romantic twists in tv-series that have a (main) focus on some big arc unrelated to anyone’s love life.

The Jane Austeny concept Jane Jense introduced with the KS campaign was awesome. And Austen tells great romances, any romantic game should work like that. It’s not a trashy harlequin where you just skip everything else but the interaction between the two characters, it has a rich world with wonderful characters and lots of things happen in there, people have actual lives - and any good love story of course has to have some misunderstandings Wink.

Personally I would welcome a lot more sexy adventures too. But I’d like them (and the romantic adventures, and why not a mix of both) to be less from the guy’s point of view where the girl is basically just an object of desire and more about seeing it from both perspectives - could be just the guy or the girl too if it’s done right, so that the significant other doesn’t seem just like an object. Larry games are fun but honestly I’d welcome a game where you could be a female slut and not a least bit ashamed of it. I really like games like Fables or Sims where you can court anyone and decide your own sexuality. That might not be easy to implement into adventures as it is but playing games like that you notice how little there is romance/sex and/or choices in adventures. I want more.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Played 2½ hours of The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and liked it very much. Not a 5/5 (yet at least) but very good. Going to grab Memoria from GOG sale now since it takes place in the same world - I don’t really know anything else about it and rather keep it that way too.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Any number of Japanese “dating” adventures.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2013-11-17

PM

I don’t see what’s so wrong with incidental romance, the way it is done in most adventure games, where you don’t have any control over the romance. You don’t have a choice about whether Guybrush likes Elaine or whether Gabriel Knight hooks up with Grace, he just does, it’s out of your hands.

A lot of people like incidental romance even in other mediums. People enjoyed Leia and Han even though that was a very small part of the movie. People enjoyed the relationships in Veronica Mars even though the main plot of the episodes was solving a mystery. People enjoy the relationships in Grey’s Anatomy even thoguh there the main plot is still helping a patient. In fact plenty of people seem to enjoy it more when the romance characters have something to do like saving the world or solving a mystery over a medium where the relationship is the only plot such as a romance movie or a soap opera. I believe this is because they find that when the relationship is the only plot the story often falls back on standards relationship “plots” that people actually don’t really enjoy such as cheating (soap opera) or big misunderstandings (romance movies).

I think it’s pretty obvious that video games could be more romantic they just don’t want to be. Just contrast them with the plots of casual adventure games. Those casual games are targeted at a female audience and hence they try a lot harder to squeeze in romance. As a result you find a decent number of plots that feature romance as a significant element such as:

* You meet a character during the adventure, in the end it is revealed that you married/ended up together.

* There is a pre-existing relationship, but you are separated.  There is a pre-existing relationship, and you work together to solve the problem. I would contrast this to how it is done in for example with Mario and Peach when it is more explictly frames as part of a relationship arc. For example, the game starts off with an engagement/proposal, then the fiance gets abducted, after the puzzle is solved there’s a wedding. This frames the main plot of the game as a bonding experience for the relationship.

* You come across lovers who were separated and help them get a happy ending.

* Or: Something that is abused very heavily in casual games, the villain is motivated by a tragic relationship backstory that you find out more about during the course of the game.

All these contribute to the game finding ways to inject more romance themed scenes or set a slightly more romance oriented baseline for the game. It’s very obvious that these plots could easily be adapted for “mainstream” games, they do the job of stitching together gameplay portions as much as anything else.

I think it’s very obvious that the main reasons it is done less in mainstream games is some sort of machismo:

- Either the creators think its lame personally.

- Or they think they games will only be played by a mostly male audience.

- And they assume that that male audience would have negative reactions to romantic elements and think the game cheesy or dumb because of it.

(or of course the flip side, casual games assume their audience will be more female and assume that subsequently female audiences will enjoy it more if there are romance elements added in)

In my eyes chains of Satinav shows that romantic road movie is a perfectly valid game plot. And again, I would distinguish its plot from “fetchquest” romance plots where the loved person is treated merely as a object to be retrieved, but barely figured into the story other than that.

In Satinav the main character meets a girl, gets to know her better, his feelings deepen and he’s motivated by this relationship to do several things he does. Hence the relationship infuses the plot of the game to a much greater extent than a fetchquest romance would that really just bookends a game (girl is abducted in the beginning) (protagonist does a variety of tasks that make up the main part of the game) (girl is retrieved, previous relationship is restored, nothing about the relationship actually changed).

I don’t see why Prince of Persia for example shouldn’t qualify since some of the games also have this “romantic road movie” setup. Some people enjoy this a plots for romantic movies, so why wouldn’t it be romantic if it was done in game form? A medium doesn’t have to be 100% relationship focused in order to be considered romantic. Titantic stll had a plot despite being a romance movie.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top