• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cyberpunk Adventure Games and Rise of the Dragon

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2014-02-22

PM

Hey everyone this is the second episode of a series I’m working on

Adventures in Obscure Gaming

This one focuses on cyberpunk games. And features Rise of the Dragon but covers a lot of other adventure games.

I have a little shoutout to this web site at the end of the episode I hope that is okay.

I think my next episode will be Duckman Legend of the Fall.

As always I’m taking obscure game suggestions. Duckman is actually partly Karlok’s suggestion from my original thread so feel free to recommend a game I should look at. I do actually look at all of them.

I welcome all comments on the videos as well. Positive or negative so feel to vent your hate at me Naughty

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2007-01-17

PM

No Dreamweb ? It’s a uniquely interesting cyberpunk adventure/RPG game. Never did finish the game though.

Joined 2014-02-22

PM

I’ve heard of this game! I’ve never played it though. I gotta admit looking at it that might have been a much better choice for an obscure game.
It’s impossible to include all the weird cyberpunk games from back then.

I didn’t even mention stuff like I have no mouth and I must scream and Hell: A cyberpunk adventure.

But Dreamweb is really interesting! Duly Noted! This game has definite potential. I just need something to tie it to in pop culture but I think it’s a really good fit.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

i love rise of the dragon so much. so gritty and awesome, blew my mind as a kid. it was always a tragedy to me that dynamix shut down and there were no more.

Joined 2014-02-22

PM

RockNFknRoll - 03 March 2014 05:59 AM

i love rise of the dragon so much. so gritty and awesome, blew my mind as a kid. it was always a tragedy to me that dynamix shut down and there were no more.

Have you ever played Heart of China?

They made the game a year after Rise of the Dragon it has the same style and interface.

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

dataSKS - 03 March 2014 01:48 PM
RockNFknRoll - 03 March 2014 05:59 AM

Have you ever played Heart of China?

They made the game a year after Rise of the Dragon it has the same style and interface.

Yeah, I discovered it way later. It’s also great, not quite as special to me as Rise Of The Dragon. And Willy Beamish, which I loved. I just wish there were way more games in that Dynamix style, even just sequels.

Joined 2014-02-22

PM

I think they definitely had a unique style for sure. I’ve never played Willy Beamish but now I’m kind of interested.

I don’t know if you’ve ever seen this site

http://www.game-nostalgia.com/rise/info/dynamix_company_history1.html

I ran across it but didn’t have the time to put any information into the video. It’s still worth a read and has lots of interesting information.

The thing that I learn that really surprised me is they made Rama in 1996.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Isn’t B.A.T. cyberpunk and isn’t it also the predecessor in many ways for Rise of the Dragon? Both in terms of gameplay, open ended game design and ahead of its time story to game mechanics?

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2014-02-22

PM

That name is very familiar to me because I’m constantly scrolling through through it on abandonware sites due to it starting with the letter b but I’ve never actually looked at what that game is.

I took a closer look at it with your comment and all I can say is WOW. You are totally right on both fronts.

It’s very similar to Rise of the Dragon in some ways but definitely more out there as well. I’ll have to look deeper into this. Thanks for mentioning it Monolith!

I feel annoyed whenever I miss these but I guess I’ll have to get used to it. These are all amazing posts though. Have you played either game? If you have some time I’d love an overview of what were the most unique aspects of the games.

Edit: Quick Addendum It’s made by a company called Computer Dreams in France! Figures. I’m going to be making an episode around commander blood and these games would fit perfect into that show. I’m definitely going to do some more research into both bats and they made another game as a different studio called “Down in the Dumps” worth a look too very…. insteresting lets just say!

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

Synnergist is my favourite obscure cyberpunk game.  Similar theme to Rise of the Dragon (evil drug takes over the world) but with hammier acting and a better sense of humour Grin

Joined 2014-02-22

PM

HOLY OneFlesh I could kiss you right now.

What hell is this game? Omg. It looks crazy.

The best thing is the developer is still making games today. Like big AAA titles.

I love stories like this. I’m going to do some more research on this one as well. I thought the company name Vicarious Visions was familiar and I was right! They made tony hawk pro skater 2 for the gba which I played!

I really want to do some interviews in for future shows. This is a really good game to look into seriously for the future as well.

Thanks so much Grin

Guys. Thanks so much. Please continue to mention games. I’m looking at all of them and so far every suggestion in this thread has been really spectacular.

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Again a 90s AG that totally passed me by until now. I will check Synnergist out.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I have Synnergist, tried to play it many years ago but it kept crashing on me.  Thumbs Up

Necromancer is a classic cyberpunk game. Bureau 13 is another one. In a non-cyberpunk category I recommend Noctropolis.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

Synnergist took me hours to get working in the old days but thanks to DOSBox I replayed it without a care in a world.

I second Noctropolis as an underrated gem (though it is weird to call an EA game obscure)

Joined 2014-02-22

PM

Karlok I’m guess you mean Neuromancer? As for the other two games Bureau 13 and Noctropolis.

I’m thinking about making a episode devoted to “adult oriented” FMV games. I’m thinking Noctropolis would definitely fit into there somewhere. It’s got boobies at some point right?

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

im sure its not new to anyone but longest journey/dreamfall definitely has some strong cyberpunk themes.  at least from the stark side of things. 

i love cyberpunk but i never really got into any of the adventure games.  its usually too rough for me to try and get into dos games nowdays that i missed from the past but dreamweb does look pretty awesome.  i wonder if mind.in.a.box’s album ‘dreamweb is based on the game. they are a pretty cool industrial/futurepop act.

song from the alb if anyone has interest. cheers (:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top