• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DinahPence

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Point and click Grim Fandango

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Was happy to wake up this morning to this:

Go here to try it out: http://forums.residualvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=3040&sid=0879be141fba8c67e0459bfc22f68ea8#3040

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I honestly didn’t have any problem at all with the original controls of Grim Fandango.  That said, I’d play the hell out of point and click version.

HOWEVER—Single-click interfaces fill me with unbridled rage.  I’d want to see it fully revamped to include multiple interaction options.  Wink  Obviously that would be insanely impractical, if not impossible, given all the extra voice work it would require, but hey…a guy can dream, right?

Looks pretty cool.  I’ll wait til they’ve got the bugs worked out though.  Wink

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Whoa!! Thanks, Antrax! I don’t think you can find a person with a more passionate dislike towards the terrible controls in Grim Fandango than myself, so this patch is the best news in a long time for me! I’ve been hoping for something like this for many, many years! It’s only been a few months since the last time I replayed Grim Fandango, so I probably won’t be playing it again before a year or so, but I downloaded the patch to have it ready. Thanks again! Smile (I should probably check for an updated patch when I get to it though).

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Yeah, I’m also not rushing to try it until they work out some of the kinks. However, once this exists in however buggy form, the community can fix it until it can be a part of the Residual mainline. And THEN maybe Lambonius can get his verb coin GF.

In any case, this is a lot more exciting to me than the high resolution GF project.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

That is the greates things ever. I hate the UI of Grim Fandango and this is such a huge improvement. Perhaps I am able to play the game through again now.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Antrax - 23 February 2014 03:13 AM

In any case, this is a lot more exciting to me than the high resolution GF project.

Yeah, my biggest issue with GF by far is the control scheme, a point and click interface would improve the game considerably for me. And rather than a high resolution project, my wet dream would be a 2D handpainted project Smile A coin interface would be cool too.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I also never really had any problems with the interface in GF, it took some time getting used too, and it didn’t work perfectly, but it did work.

Still next time I decide to replay GF, I will give this a try.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2003-09-14

PM

Grim Fandango always had a separate “Look” button, which I see the maker of this mod has incorporated in the interface. Left-click =“look” and right-click = “use/talk”. So I don’t think you lose too much from a 3 verb (look/use/talk) coin interface.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Two click interface does look like the best choice for Fandango. I don’t recall it having that much background interactivity and I do recall it having pretty much use and look funtions anyway.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2014-02-22

PM

Does anyone know if this works for smartphone releases? It would be amazing for that context. I always thought it was weird that they didn’t at least include the option to switch to a more traditional control scheme.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I’d rather they updated the analogue controls than take them out.

An HD remake for consoles would be cool.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Suits better for MI4.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

This is great, when I decide to replay it I’ll try this out

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

I hope they do make it work. I had real trouble with the controls in some area (especially underwater,) so this would make the game much nicer for me. Point ‘n click controls and ready for modern OSes? Oh, how I’d love it!

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I didn’t have as much trouble with the controls as some people, but there were certain areas—like the conveyor belt—where I’d rather just have clicked on the thing.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I’ll try it, if nothing else as the excuse for replaying GF. I was one of those who never had any problems with the original keyboard control though. Credits for the try!!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top