• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Golden Age of Adventure Games

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 18 February 2014 10:25 PM

And a Golden age usually has a decline towards the end, yet this decline is still considered a part of the Golden Age. Golden ages doesn’t end at their peaks.

Actually, I’d argue that a Golden Age IS the peak. And imo, the decline had already begun in 1997, and I included that year… Wink

It seems like the only conclusion that can be made from this thread, is that once again we can’t agree on anything or reach a consensus on even the simplest of things.

That’s what happens when you argue about something that can’t be so easily defined - you only get subjective answers. It’s akin to “de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum”.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 19 February 2014 03:21 PM

It seems like the only conclusion that can be made from this thread, is that once again we can’t agree on anything or reach a consensus on even the simplest of things.

That’s what happens when you argue about something that can’t be so easily defined - you only get subjective answers. It’s akin to “de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum”.

Nope - I don’t think that is it!

If historians and archaeologists can agree on dividing history into different time periods, even though it happened thousands of years before they were born, and if geologists and palaeontologists and whatnot can agree on dividing the earth’s history into different periods, based purely on examining millions or billions of years old rocks and fossils, then there really is no excuse at all for why we can’t agree on dividing the history of adventure games into different time periods, especially since at least most of us actually lived through the period and has first hand knowledge.

I think that it is because we are all a bunch of argumentative sons of bitches, that would rather get up on the soapbox and yell out our personal opinions, than have a nice civilized debate over a cup of tea, where a consensus (and perhaps a nice group hug) is achieved at the end Wink

Anyway, if it can help a consensus being reached, then I can accept anything from 1990 to 1993 as the beginning of the golden age, and anything from 1997 to 1999 as the end, as long as we all agree that the golden age was in the 90’s and not the 80’s.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2072

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Iznogood - 20 February 2014 01:33 AM

If historians and archaeologists can agree on dividing history into different time periods, even though it happened thousands of years before they were born, and if geologists and palaeontologists and whatnot can agree on dividing the earth’s history into different periods, based purely on examining millions or billions of years old rocks and fossils, then there really is no excuse at all for why we can’t agree on dividing the history of adventure games into different time periods, especially since at least most of us actually lived through the period and has first hand knowledge.

I think that it is because we are all a bunch of argumentative sons of bitches, that would rather get up on the soapbox and yell out our personal opinions, than have a nice civilized debate over a cup of tea, where a consensus (and perhaps a nice group hug) is achieved at the end Wink

^This.

Still, Golden Age was in 80s-early 90s Tongue

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Iznogood - 20 February 2014 01:33 AM
TimovieMan - 19 February 2014 03:21 PM

Nope - I don’t think that is it!

There is a very good excuse - when it comes to arguments about quality there is no consensus. Someone might hold text adventures to be the peak of adventure games - in which case the mid-late 80s would be the “golden age”.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Plenty of historians have achieved consensus on judgments of the quality of great works of art, or buildings, or other works of creativity and human invention.  Why should adventure games be any different?

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 20 February 2014 03:24 AM

There is a very good excuse - when it comes to arguments about quality there is no consensus. Someone might hold text adventures to be the peak of adventure games - in which case the mid-late 80s would be the “golden age”.

Lambonius - 20 February 2014 03:36 AM

Plenty of historians have achieved consensus on judgments of the quality of great works of art, or buildings, or other works of creativity and human invention.  Why should adventure games be any different?

But it isn’t (just) an argument about quality. The closest thing to a (short) definition of a Golden Age I have found is: “a period of great happiness, prosperity, and achievement”

For example, in Denmark we have in art a period know as The Golden Age, but this doesn’t mean that all the best art was made in this period, or everything before or after was crap, instead in refers to a period where there was a great boom in art, not just in quality but also in quantity and popularity, and the reason for it was probably just as much because more people could now afford art, it was no longer solely the domain of the nobility, as it was because a lot of talented painters lived in this period.

When we try to define “The Golden Age of Adventure Games”, then we have to define it in a similar way, as the period where there were a great boom in adventure games, and we can’t just look at the quality, but we also have to look at the quantity, the popularity and the sales numbers.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Lambonius - 20 February 2014 03:36 AM

They aren’t. But if I enjoy Mills & Boon novels more than Tolstoy, I personally wouldn’t care what some snobbish bespectacled historians of literature have to say about 19th century literature being better.

Iznogood - 20 February 2014 04:31 AM

When we try to define “The Golden Age of Adventure Games”, then we have to define it in a similar way, as the period where there were a great boom in adventure games, and we can’t just look at the quality, but we also have to look at the quantity, the popularity and the sales numbers.

That sort of logic would leave us declaring late 20th century pop music as the Golden Age of music, above Beethoven, Bach and Mozart. I wonder what the historians would have to say about that?

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Oscar - 20 February 2014 07:40 AM

That sort of logic would leave us declaring late 20th century pop music as the Golden Age of music, above Beethoven, Bach and Mozart. I wonder what the historians would have to say about that?

You raise a valid point there. As a musician, devoted to playing Bach, I shudder at what passes for music in todays society. It’s catered for people with no musical insight whatsoever, and a parallel can be drawn to the simplifying of adventure games. From the beautifully complex mathematical patterns of Bach (which requires considerable effort from its listener) to the overly simplistic 3-chord crap that represents just about anything that sells today. Sadly, the golden age of music is long gone Frown

For me, the golden age of adventure games is 1990-1997. In 1990, they had begun finding their form, by 1993, they’d been improved by better resolution, improved gameplay (adressing random deaths, dead ends and unfair puzzles among other things), the CD-rom allowed enough disc space to store voice files and real, recorded music. By 1997, adventure games had reached it’s peak, and produced the best and only flawless adventure game ever made: The Curse of Monkey Island. Then it all went downhill and turned into a technological race, and, in the process, adventure games began losing their charm and beauty. While I have much love for Grim Fandango and The Loungest Journey, I agree with Tim that they’re aftershocks of something great, but even though they’re both masterfully written, the taint of the horrid early-time 3D leaves a foul taste in my mouth. Fortunately, 3D is finally getting to the point where it actually looks great and TBOUT2 seems to be taking AG visuals to a new level.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2012-07-08

PM

I’d go with 1991 - 1999 (Monkey Island - Grim Fandango).

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 20 February 2014 07:40 AM

How on earth did classical music and pop music end up in the same hat?
Even though they are both music, then they are two very different types of music, and are based on different technologies. Pop music is very much based on the ability to record and mass distribute the music, which simply wasn’t possible in Beethoven, Bach and Mozart time.

You could just as well argue that television is the golden age of painting because they are both pictures, or that the Roman gladiator fights was the golden age of adventure games because the gladiator fights was also a kind of game.

Besides, how exactly would that kind of logic lead to your conclusion?
As I wrote:

Iznogood - 20 February 2014 04:31 AM

The closest thing to a (short) definition of a Golden Age I have found is: “a period of great happiness, prosperity, and achievement”

And I was simply applying that definition to Adventure Games, and NOT to all games in general, arguing that adventure games represent the golden age of all games that have ever existed in the history of mankind.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Iznogood - 20 February 2014 12:20 PM

You could just as well argue that television is the golden age of painting because they are both pictures, or that the Roman gladiator fights was the golden age of adventure games because the gladiator fights was also a kind of game.

It takes a hell of a lot of insane troll logic to make the argument that classical music is to pop music is like gladiator fights are to adventure games.

Only on adventuregamers.com!  Wink

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Detective Mosely - 20 February 2014 03:59 PM

Only on adventuregamers.com!  Wink

We should make that our slogan. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2072

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Iznogood - 20 February 2014 12:20 PM

How on earth did classical music and pop music end up in the same hat?
Even though they are both music, then they are two very different types of music, and are based on different technologies. Pop music is very much based on the ability to record and mass distribute the music, which simply wasn’t possible in Beethoven, Bach and Mozart time.

What difference does it make for someone born in 20-21 century? I’ve been listening to the concerts and records of Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Vivaldi since childhood, along with pop music, and it never struck me as something very different. Their melodies are more complex, more varied and require some patience to listen to, that’s all.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

On a music related note, Iron Maiden just announced 2014 “Maiden England” tour to visit Serbia, Poland and Norway.

On a topic related note, there’s a song by the same band that goes:

“And realize you’re living in the golden years”.

And so, I’ve made up my mind - The Golden Years of Adventure Games is 1976-2014 and counting Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Great.  Now I have both “The Trooper” and “Toccata and Fugue in D Minor” in my head now.  It’s a mess in there. Especially cause “The Trooper” is in E minor.  The F and F#s are CLASHING and the B’s and the Bb’s? Well, dammit, a bit of dissonance never hurt anyone.

Bt

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top