• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Survey for my IF dissertation

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Hi, I am writing a dissertation on Interactive Fiction as part of my university degree and as part of my research I am trying to collate some data from relevant users.

I am looking at past and present IF games and trying to determine the key factors which make the genre popular, with the ultimate aim of making a new IF game.

I would be extremely grateful if you could take a couple of minutes to complete the questionnaire found in the link below:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZKhWpQj3-eWvdxa8RG6gP-Eri5tsIBZuM_VthMzmtRk/viewform

Thank you very much for your time; any feedback also gratefully received!

John

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Filled in the survey.

Did part of it twice, as I had a browser crash right after I put in a lump of text as to why I no longer play IF games… Shifty Eyed

I hope you get what you were looking for out of the survey, and that it helps in making future IF games.
Just because *I* stopped playing them, doesn’t mean the genre’s dead (or that I can’t be convinced to return)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Completed it. I’d expected more questions specifically about IF, actually. Only ONE favorite IF game? I just had to enter five.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2013-04-25

PM

What exactly is an Interactive Fiction?  Looking at wiki it seems more of a catchall phrase. Does it lack puzzles or does it have a different form of presentation style and gameplay?  Are we lumping visual novels under that label?

Games Played: Ace Attorney (PW 1-3, Apollo Justice, Miles Investigation), Hotel Dusk and Last Window, Professor Layton (Curious Village, Diabolical Box, Unwound Future, Lost Specter), 999 and Zero Escape, Walking Dead S1-2, Trace Memory, Area-X, Time Hollow, Ghost Trick, Indian Jones FoA   Currently Playing: Portal 2, PL - Miracle Mask, Dangan Ronpa

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Interactive fiction = text adventures. You know, typing commands. Most have lots of puzzles, but there are exceptions. Visual novels are something else. The entire genre started with text adventures (the term IF came later). I bet you’ve heard of Zork.  Cool And Infocom. They are still being made by the strong IF community, pretty good ones too, but commercially they’re not really viable anymore.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top