• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyDaleLadyLindaNico2021SefirVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Poll: How important is recorded voice acting to you?

Poll: How important is recorded voice acting to you?
Total Votes: 47
Very important - I won’t buy a game that doesn’t have it.
I like it but it doesn’t sway my decision to purchase.
It doesn’t matter to me at all.
I tend to not like it.
I hate it. I prefer to read the text myself.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I voted for very important, but allthough I generally want there to be voices, it doesn’t necessarily need to be a dealbreaker if it isn’t (Fester Mudd comes to mind, though it’s probably the only non-talkie game I’ve bought in the last 20 years). The thing that recorded voices brings to games that is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to recreate with mere text, is genuine emotion (provided that the actors in question actually can act). Good voice acting can elevate the writing considerably. I remember well the first talkie adventure I played (the CD-ROM of Simon the Sorcerer) and it was one of my fondest gaming experiences ever. Whoever voted for “I tend not to like it” must either be crazy or trolling Tongue I even prefer bad voice acting to no voice acting. The only game I’ve ever played where the voice acting was so bad that I had to turn it off was Drascula: The Vampire Strikes Back, the old Alcachofa Soft game (a game that everyone should try just to experience exactly how badly voice acting can be done).

As far as lip-sync goes, I think it’s a very nice touch, but not super important. The lower resolution of the graphics, the less important it becomes, as I see it.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’m finding the amount of people that voted “very important” surprising. I guess that’s the reason people spend (too much) money on it.

To me it’s not very important (see DS adventures) and a game can still be amazing if the writing is good. I also don’t need voice acting in books.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

What a forced out pool issue.Why even think shouldnt be important unless you’re deaf.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Frogacuda - 03 February 2014 08:05 AM

It matters a lot. I voted for the first option although I do buy games without so it’s not really true, but it really is pretty important. It just immediately makes a game more immersive.

Similar for me. I would have definitely voted for the first option a year ago, but “To the Moon” proved to me that it’s not actually a must for me. Hence I voted for option two even though it’s not really worded strongly enough for my tastes.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

It’s nice if it’s there, even better if it’s good, sometimes the voice becomes a part of the character (I couldn’t imagine anybody but Rolf Saxon doing George at this point).
Don’t mind lacking lip-sync, but what does usually bother me is when the voiced characters don’t move their lips at all (like the static portraits in the “remasters” of Broken Sword). Not a big deal, but I always found that pretty jarring.

Overall voices aren’t “crucial” for me at all though, don’t think I ever thought about it when considering a purchase (so option no. 2).

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

My answer would be between the first and the second option - it’s important, but whether or not I’ll play the game would also depend on other factors, and lack of voice acting/bad voice acting wouldn’t necessarily be the major turn off.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I would like to add a vote that ;voice acting nowadays is sooo essential/important unless its a GEM if I miss I would regret it VERY badly.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

To the Moon is a perfect example why I wouldn’t choose option no 1. Then again, if Revolution was to say: “Sorry guys, no voice acting in Broken Sword 5 part 2”, that could be a deal breaker which speaks against option no 2.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

No voice acting is much much better than bad voice acting.  But quality voice acting definitely lifts up the production of a game and can take it to another level.

The Walking Dead is a good example.  I don’t think I’d like that game near as much if it didn’t really deliver on the acting.  And I don’t think its punches would hit near as hard in text format.

Lip synching isn’t really something I’m concerned with.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I like it lots BUT if the game is really good I can survive without it.

Even Japanese voice acting is better than none - but I’ve bought many games that didn’t have any.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

I’m a big proponent of good voice acting (or perhaps more accurately, excellent voice acting). Only a handful of games have truly delivered for me in that way. If you’re going to make a game that’s heavily dependent on [spoken] dialogue and character development, you’d better pony up the cash for real professionals (and by “professionals” I generally don’t mean Z-listers who guest starred in an episode of CSI as “Victim #2”).

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

It doesn’t matter to me. Quite a few indie and japanese games have no voice acting and its fine. I also always put on subtitles and read them and skip ahead of the voice, so I rarely hear a whole lot even if it is there. Sometimes, very rarely, I actually listen to the dialogs Smile

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Matters alot too, unless the writing and presentation is really good.

For e.g i had no problem with Cing games, KRoutezero, FSR etc.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top