• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Reviving an archived forum - “Leisure Suit Larry 1… Suicide? Is this true?”

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2004-02-17

PM

This is the original archived thread:
http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12662

I think it should be revived, as just like the thread, the web, including Wikipedia, is apparently filled with disinformation on the subject.

Anyway, I recently found out about the suicide scene in LSL1 (thanks to this great book), and I was amazed that I’ve never seen Larry’s FIRST in-game closeup!

So, it seems that all the info on the web about this scene is wrong for some reason, except for the debug mode (Alt+D) bit.

To see this scene, all you have to do is start a new game, wait 7 real-time hours, then go to an outdoors screen (the transition is mandatory - if you’re already outdoors when the 7 hours pass, you have to enter a building and exit again, or take a cab ride somewhere else, etc.).

You can activate the in-game clock (from the game menu) to make keeping track of time easier - the clock starts at 10:00:00 (10pm), and when it reaches 5:00:00 (5am - sunrise), go to an outdoors screen (as explained above) and you’ll see the awesome suicide scene.
Another tip - don’t use the breath spray after you get a message about Larry’s bad breath (at around 10:10:00), cause then that message will return after 10 minutes, stopping the clock until you click it away.

Also - it seems that despite what’s written in Wikipedia and other places, there’s nothing you can do to avoid this. It’ll happen even if you sleep with the hooker.

Oh, and one more thing that I didn’t see mentioned anywhere - Lefty’s closes at 3:00:00 (3am)! You won’t notice it if you happen to be inside the bar, but if you leave after this hour you can’t return.

I didn’t yet check how and if it works in the VGA version, I guess I’ll try it sometimes, but IIRC there’s no visible in-game clock in that version so it’ll be harder.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The suicide has been removed from all the remake versions. And I do believe, that some version of AGI was patched so, that sleeping with the hooker removes the suicide death as the whole death relates Larry killing himself because he’s a virgin. At least I recall Al Lowe stating somethign like that.

And I had no idea Lefty’s is closed at certain time perioid.

Joined 2004-02-17

PM

tomimt - 14 January 2014 09:05 AM

The suicide has been removed from all the remake versions.

Yeah, I assumed as much. I’ll still look at it though, but if I’ll see no way to monitor the in-game time, I’ll skip it and assume it’s not there.

And I do believe, that some version of AGI was patched so, that sleeping with the hooker removes the suicide death as the whole death relates Larry killing himself because he’s a virgin. At least I recall Al Lowe stating somethign like that.

I hate patches that change game content (as opposed to bug fixes), cause they make things hard to track. If this patch does exist, I really hope it affects the version number as well. This is my version information:

I’ll try to find a later version and check (let’s hope the patch in question wasn’t one of those rare evils that change the game but not the version number! Foot in mouth  Pan ). By the way, whether you sleep with the hooker or not, in my version the suicide message says something like “still (technically speaking) a virgin” - the “(technically speaking)” was added there in case you sleep with the hooker, so it makes sense that the timer doesn’t reset.
And besides - why everywhere it says the limit is 2 hours? It doesn’t make sense, 7 hours makes more sense cause sunrise is around 5am not midnight…

And I had no idea Lefty’s is closed at certain time perioid.

Me neither. Found it while looking for the suicide scene. Maybe that was patched away as well?

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Personally I never have had a clear idea about the timer frame of LSL1, as I encountered the suicide death only once and that happened because I left the game runnign and went to do something else. When I came back Larry was up at it. After that I’ve seen it only through debug mode.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Fortunately for anyone who has one of the newer versions and wants to see the suicide scene, it’s on YouTube. For example at

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

I think I recall getting the suicide in my first ever play through of LSL1 VGA. I can’t find that one on YouTube though.

Joined 2004-02-17

PM

Ok, I loaded LSL1VGA and found how to keep track of game-time - you can look at your watch in inventory. And yes, the suicide scene is still there (tomimt Pan ).

Like in the AGI version, it takes 7 real-time hours - when the game clock reaches 5am. However, in this game, if you sleep with the hooker the timer is indeed removed, so I guess that’s the source of the misinformation (though I don’t know where the 2 hours bit came from).
Also, in the VGA version Lefty’s doesn’t close at 3am.

I guess there isn’t a video because there’s no animated scene showing the actual suicide in the VGA version, just the text boxes (same as in the AGI version) and then the death text box. Perhaps I’ll post screenshots later.

I used version 2.1 but I don’t think it matters.

EDIT - most of the info above is wrong, see my post below for the real truth. me Pan for spreading misinformation myself after complaining about it Meh

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Heh, I’ve always been under the impression that the suicide death was fully removed form the VGA remake, proofs me wrong then. But perhaps the removal bit has always meant that they removed the close up view of the gun on the temple bit.

But then again, it never was that hard game that I would have had need to spend more than a hour or two to go it through.

Joined 2004-02-17

PM

Ok I was wrong before about LSL1VGA - it takes 8 real-time hours - when the game clock reaches 6am… I didn’t check carefully enough last time, but this time I made 100% sure.

And I was also wrong about sleeping with the hooker - it DOESN’T remove the timer in this version either! Before I just checked after 5am but before 6am… so now I really don’t know where this common misinformation stems from.

Sorry for the misinformation before, but now it’s settled. As a compensation, here’s the suicide “scene” from LSL1VGA in a screenshot strip:

Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top