• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs   -  Teaser

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Anyone here watch PewDiePie’s part 1 walkthrough of the game? Saw it and am both amazed and disappointed. Watching the video, I felt like the graphical fidelity is subpar compared to a lot of screenshots, but it still has some really great moments that I feel will surpass the beauty of the first game.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gamespot 8.

Reviews are out, mostly 7 ans 8s, writing and story is applauded but not the
scare factor(i never found amnesia series equal to SH, Fatalframe,Siren etc
anyway).

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

nomadsoul - 09 September 2013 12:21 PM

anyway).

Nothing compares to Crimson Butterfly & Siren in my book.  Wish they could release a PC version of those so others could enjoy it.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Gamespot 8.

anyway).

Loads of reviews listed here:

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-22785.html

Highest score so far is 10/10, lowest is 5/10 (and that’s on its own). Most seem to be in about the 8/10 range as you say.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2009-06-05

PM

So soon…eek…

Though some people are down on it, can’t wait to see for myself.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Gamespot 8.

anyway).

All those games I thought were weak but did a good job creating a sense of fear. Nothing has scared me more than Amnesia and nothing makes me jump like a bitch than a terrible cheap scare game like Slender.

THose games are no more scary than the opinions on the scare factor for Machine for Pigs.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I gave in after reading short length comments and finished it today rather than later.

- My major problem with the game is monster design and encounters that are so not
scary at all, same problem in Amnesia games, here they are more scripted.

- The level of macabre and grotesque design in which Japanese games (i mentioned)
excel at, is just missing here (leaves something to be desired). Then you can easily avoid them by circling around crates , and run past them , thats all. The level of hide and seek is even inferior than Clocktower 1 or HauntingGround (ps2).

- Second problem is last quarter is dragged like anything, the 3rd quarter reveals enough to leave things for your imagination but TCR decided to go all out
for extreme exposition.

- More detail in environments than amnesia, which is a blessing because Amnesia felt
bland like hell in level design.

- The Story is 1up from DearEsther imo, the ending is welldone , everything well presented except the over exposure in last quarter. Story throughout gave some vibes of Silenthill.

- Sound/Music is clear winner here, monster didnt feel much by looks, but the sound design is A grade, saved the whole experience.

8.5/10.

Since encounters are mostly scripted and some puzzles are well integrated , Adv Gamers should try this.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

This feels very overwritten to me. Or as the game itself would put it, “the swine bleat as their oily hides are bleached white by the sun and their rotting shells excrete what remain of their gnarled innards.” Every line of dialogue, every note you pick up, every journal entry you read is so overly calculated and meticulously worded that it fails to create any sense of mystery or dread. I don’t feel like I’m reading the disturbed musings of the game’s characters whenever I pick up a new note to read, I feel like I’m reading an English major trying to impress their teacher with a endless supply of evocatively gruesome words.

That kind of applies to the game as a whole as well, it’s just too structured to capture the primal, unpredictable sense of fear the first game instilled in the player. That game was like being trapped in a nightmare you couldn’t wake up from, this is like a breezy trip through a carnival haunted house full of pop-up skeletons and a scratchy tape playing some spooky sound effects.

It’s fun, and I’m enjoying the ride it is, but I looooooooved the first game and this just doesn’t hit those I’ve-gotta-quit-because-I’m-too-scared heights. I don’t dread playing this and that just seems wrong for something bearing the Amnesia name.

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

I really adore the writing - love it to bits: it’s so incredibly evocative and all-encompassing. I can’t praise it highly enough. Smile

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Great game, although I do agree that the first one was slightly better (and they are a bit to similar). They did manage to pack this game with some seriously disturbing philosophical references though. Tongue

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2013-08-21

PM

If the first game was scary - and it was - then it’s best to describe this one as nerve-racking. It certainly boasts a better story from what I’ve played so far lending me to think it’s probably a better all-round game but this is only from an hour or two of play so take my opinion as the words of a man who hasn’t finished it yet. The first one got a lot of plaudits for the scares and great atmosphere but I thought other aspects were lacking (i.e. the story). I think that TheChineseRoom have made some smart decisions with the direction of this one because they’ve made it scary in a different way; had it of tried to be the same we’d have known what was coming.

Video-games are fun…I think

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Northest - very well put, couldn’t agree more. Personally speaking I loved both games, and often for totally different reasons.

Just one feature of A Machine for Pigs that I truly loved was Dan Pinchbeck’s writing - it’s absolutely superb.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

After finishing the game, I can admire it as this esoteric puzzle you’re left to piece together yourself but I can’t help but be disappointed with it as a successor to The Dark Descent. It strips away so much of what I loved about the first game—its puzzles, its clever use of physics, its unending tension—and simply exists as this on-rails interactive story which is so heavily scripted that it completely suffocates any sense of tension. It’s just not scary, and even worse, it’s not much fun because 90% of the game simply consists of entering a new mechanical-themed area and looking for some valves to turn. It feels like a 15-page short story which someone decided to remake as an Amnesia mod for some reason.

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Well, to each his/her own of course, but I DID find it moderately scary and also far more psychologically unsettling and disturbing than The Dark Descent. Smile

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Hmm, I can’t say I agree with all the criticism of “scripted” events. Those were awesome and just to be clear, both this and its predecessor are adventure games.

I’m guessing that the main idea is that you’re suppose to puzzle together the story, theme and characters by yourself after you’ve finished the game. It sure is an interesting approach but I feel that the actual ending was just as vague as all the other “clues” you picked up during the game so you can’t help but feel a bit unfulfilled.

The game does hint at some very interesting topics but due to the nature of the storytelling it never goes deep enough for my liking.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top