• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Why do developers use Hint systems?

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

Thank you for spoiling a puzzle for me from the game.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Lambonius - 12 December 2013 09:52 PM

It’s essentially admitting that a hint system is unnecessary (because “the internet exists”)

That’s really the wrong way to think about things. A game should be a complete product, as enjoyable as possible.
You can’t keep bugs in and make the game easy to mod and hope users overcome it. Similarly, having poor or frustrating puzzles isn’t alleviated by the fact someone is going to figure them out and create a walkthrough.

Total Posts: 334

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

Iznogood - 12 December 2013 09:40 PM

The Serpent’s Curse is deliberately old-school in feel but fortunately Revolution (unlike Daedalic) are aware the internet exists and so aren’t so old-school that they forget to implement a hint system.

Actually I think this is a pretty sensible approach. As has been said already, you can find solutions on the internet pretty easily these days. Anyone tempted by hints will always have that temptation present, simply because they are playing on a device that can access the internet.

But the difference with a built-in hint system is that you don’t have to leave the game to use it. It is thus easier to remain immersed in the game than it would be if you have to open a browser and find a hints page. This just acknowledges that many gamers today don’t have the time or inclination to spend ages on puzzles, and gives them a way of getting past them without breaking immersion. If you hate hints but still use them, are you really saying an in-game system is much worse than simply having internet access?

I agree that it shoud be possible to disable all hint systems though. A permanently on hotspot highlighter is just wrong.

No Nonsense Nonsonnets 44

Quest for Knowledge

I’m hoping to find name for game that I played long ago
The people here so well-informed, someone is sure to know
A time machine, grandfather clock, I give it to myself
Oh never mind, the box is sitting there upon my shelf

For real retro gaming nerds, name that game.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

**Disclaimer: Rage-filled rant below:

I couldn’t disagree more.  Putting hint systems in the game AT ALL is a crutch.  It’s not about “player willpower.”  It’s about developers pandering to the lowest common denominator of intelligence and patience.  They put that shit in there TO TEMPT YOU, and to appeal to people who don’t have what it takes to make it through otherwise.  It reminds me of the stories you always hear about the American education system, where instead of improving things so that more students succeed, administrators just lower the bar of success, to the point where borderline illiterate neanderthals are graduating high school with diplomas that they DON’T FUCKING DESERVE.

It’s no different from the new Super Mario 3D World, which has a special block that appears if you die 5 times in one stage, that turns you completely invincible and allows the player to just walk to the end of the stage.  Sure, you can opt NOT to use the block, but the very fact that they put it there is INSULTING.  It threatens to negate everything that made the older games GOOD.  The sense of practicing until you got good, then finally beating a stage, the rewarding feeling that came with knowing you had finally made it.  That block gives the player an out so that they DON’T HAVE TO LEARN.  SO THAT THEY DON’T HAVE TO WORK FOR IT.  FUCK THAT BLOCK. 

Those same rewarding feelings used to be present in adventure games, when you actually needed to THINK your way through puzzles.  When you occasionally needed to take a break and come back to a puzzle with fresh eyes, or talk it over with a friend.  All of those things made finally solving them and moving on that much more rewarding.

Gamers today are fucking lazy.  Nobody wants to work for anything.  Developers should quit the fucking pandering because they’re only making it worse.

End rant.  Wink

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Lambonius - 13 December 2013 03:58 AM

I couldn’t disagree more. [blablabla]
End rant.  Wink

The first thing I’d like to share with you is how much I regret backing Quest for Infamy.

And the second one is: PLOINK!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

While I rarely use hint systems, I don’t think including them is a bad thing, especially if they’re done correctly. A good hint system can actually monitor what you are doing and what you are missing and scale the level of hints accordingly.

Games are, after all, about enjoyment, and there are a lot of people who stop enjoying a game if they get stuck and will most likely never return to the game nor are unlikely to get more games of the same type.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

@Lambonius

+10000000000000

It’s because now, more than ever, everything is polluted with the money-thirst.
It’s all about sales figures and how many copies will be sold. That’s the main reason why developers now are, as you said, “pandering to the lowest common denominator of intelligence and patience”.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Under A Killing Moon had a much lauded hint system as did Pandora after it. UaKM being released as recently as 1994.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Yeah, making games appeal to wider crowds is a terrible money-grabbing scheme. If you guys are typical fans, I can see why the genre died a while back.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

I don’t use hints, because, like Lambonius and others here, I don’t enjoy these sorts of games if I’m not figuring stuff out for myself.

However, I think it is going too far to belittle those that do as if they are horrible human beings for doing so. The game is intended for entertainment, correct? It just seems presumptuous to condemn people for how THEY enjoy their entertainment.

When it comes down to it, if a developer IS going to try to widen their audience by making it accessible to people with a wider range of tastes in how challenging they like their ENTERTAINMENT to be, I’d far rather have an optional hint/help system included than to have the game as a whole dumbed down.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I think Revolution is trying to interest gamers who are used to playing casual adventures from sites like Big Fish. Adventure games without Hints often get very poor reviews there from people who complain they don’t know what to do next or that the game gives “no guidance,” etc. Since the casual game market is so much larger than the “hardcore” adventure game market, Revolution provides an option for in-game Hints for players who want them. There may or may not be walkthroughs on the Internet, but having to exit the game for a Hint is another thing for casual gamers to complain about. So as Diego pointed out, if you don’t want the Hints, you have to work on your willpower.

I’m all for Revolution providing Hints for casual gamers if it means they can sell more games, make more money, and make more games. But I’d also rather see a more difficult game with a Hint system than an easy game with no Hint system. If you’re going to provide a Hint system anyway, why make the game easy?

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2013-04-25

PM

Personally I don’t care as much if games have hints, it’s more work on the developers end if they choose to do it, and I’ll have to consider whether to make it as well.  But what I don’t get is, if players choose to play it easy but the normal/hard mode has the extra bonus material as a reward, those players start to feel “punished” for it.  Like they feel cheated for playing it their way and not reaping all the benefits…?  I always thought in gaming past history, that if you are play really well, some achievements or extras appear to reward you for doing a good job.  But now there’s not the same mentality to work a bit for a higher level of satisfaction.  I remember hearing someone say AG puzzles are more like filler, making you spend more time or waste time in a game.  But I would think the more time you spend in the game, the more joy you can get out of it.

Games Played: Ace Attorney (PW 1-3, Apollo Justice, Miles Investigation), Hotel Dusk and Last Window, Professor Layton (Curious Village, Diabolical Box, Unwound Future, Lost Specter), 999 and Zero Escape, Walking Dead S1-2, Trace Memory, Area-X, Time Hollow, Ghost Trick, Indian Jones FoA   Currently Playing: Portal 2, PL - Miracle Mask, Dangan Ronpa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

stepurhan - 13 December 2013 03:24 AM

But the difference with a built-in hint system is that you don’t have to leave the game to use it. It is thus easier to remain immersed in the game than it would be if you have to open a browser and find a hints page. This just acknowledges that many gamers today don’t have the time or inclination to spend ages on puzzles, and gives them a way of getting past them without breaking immersion.

^ This.

Lambonius - 13 December 2013 03:58 AM

Gamers today are fucking lazy.

Some of the younger generation of gamers, maybe. But there’s something to be said for gamers like me, who kept on gaming throughout the years but also started raising a family and whatnot, and that still very much enjoy gaming but now lack the time to spend hours stuck on the same puzzle…
In-game hint systems (provided they’re designed well) are a blessing and very much preferable to searching for a walkthrough online. And having a walkthrough online is also preferable to being stuck indefinitely and having to quit a game because of that (which happened quite a few times to me in the 90s)...

Nobody wants to work for anything.

Because working’s what you do at work. Games are entertainment, and I don’t want to have them feel like work.
The best games are “easy to learn, difficult to master”, and hey, there’s nothing wrong with not feeling a need to master them, just like there’s nothing wrong with really wanting to master them. To each his own.

In other words: I agree that hint systems need to be well designed (giving gradually improving hints each time - something the UHS does well - and not solving the puzzle for you on one of the first hints), and that you should be able to turn them off completely if you don’t want to use them.
But I disagree that they’re useless or redundant or “catering to lazy players”.
I’m all for them.

Bogi - 13 December 2013 08:52 AM

It’s because now, more than ever, everything is polluted with the money-thirst.
It’s all about sales figures and how many copies will be sold. That’s the main reason why developers now are, as you said, “pandering to the lowest common denominator of intelligence and patience”.

You do realize that we’re a niche genre that has difficulty turning a decent profit, don’t you?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Who are you to judge how anyone else chooses to consume a form of media, after they’ve paid for it? If they opt to play a game with hints on permanently, while it’s not what I’d want to do, I wouldn’t deride them from getting enjoyment from it.

As others have said, the in built hint system is there to stop people switching the game off. In the modern world, the more a player switches something off, the less likely they are to start it up again - each time you lose them to the internet, it’s a time you potentially aren’t getting them back. The hints are optional and as long as the game plays perfectly well without it, I genuinely don’t see the problem.

The sign puzzle you cite as a problem does have similar in-game clues to the ones you suggest.

Edit to add: I’m always fascinated by a worryingly high number of Adventure Gamers who are of the opinion that they’re in some way superior to, say, ‘brainless *hack, spit* FPS fans’, and that by attempting to reach a wider audience, AG developers are pandering to ‘Lowest common denominators’ - and who are they to sully our glorious genre of choice?

It’s all disturbingly elitist. There are ways to frame the points being made, but the language chosen often has this ugly attitude behind it.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I was going to write something about hint systems and laziness, but the conclusion to Ron Gilbert’s genre-changing 1989 essay Why Adventure Games Suck And What We Can Do About It puts it better than I could:

The thing we cannot forget is that we are here to entertain, and for most people, entertainment does not consist of nights and weekends filled with frustration.  The average American spends most of the day failing at the office, the last thing he wants to do is come home and fail while trying to relax and be entertained.

I personally generally like solving puzzles myself and disabled the hint system in BS5, but I would have had no qualms about turning it back on if I had felt the need for it. Ultimately, games should offer each player the chance to tailor the experience to their own definition of entertainment. Those who like being challenged to the point of frustration should have the option not to receive hints. And those who want to try to work things out for themselves but don’t want to feel like they’re wasting their time getting stuck for too long should have the option to get nudged toward the solution.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top