• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

TELLTALE IS DOING GAME OF THRONES!!!! (unconfirmed but very likely)

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I wish Telltale all the best and hope they push themselves to deliver an engaging and entertaining series.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

gray pierce - 22 November 2013 07:20 PM
Jannik - 22 November 2013 05:07 PM

Love the TV show as well, don’t think it would work as a typical Telltale game.

There’s quite a bit of action and “movement”/transportation in the TV show (horseback riding, running, etc), so I think an action-adventure or RPG would be more fitting. Without the action and epic feel it’s not GoT, IMO. But who knows, maybe Telltale is changing their two standard formulas Smile

I haven’t played them, but The Witcher games struck me as the GoT of video games.

I have to disagree. Even though a good Game of Thrones RPG would be nice I think it’s not the way to go in terms of gameplay. If you look at the series. it’s 80% people talking and only 20% if not less is action. So far the only action oriented episode was Blackwater. There are even episodes that don’t contain any action at all. And I know this for sure cause I’ve seen them all at least 10 times. Some I can even recite entirely.

The TV series is good but i don’t think it does justice to the books mainly because of TV budget, the scale just feels to small (Harrenhal) and they choose to not show the battles , except Blackwater, that was ok for a TV show but it still pales in comparison to the epic book stuff.

I hope the game focus on Daenerys arriving to Westeros. Tongue

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

No, I do not think Telltale is the group to do a game based on Game of Thrones.  Not even a small part of me believes this to be a good fit or a good idea.  Really, it’s not their wheelhouse at all, and I would be very sad to see a game, based on “Game of Throne”‘s material, made with Telltale’s game mechanics.  For comparison, it would be like consuming a peanut butter, egg and dice sandwich.

Bt

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I do agree, Telltale does not scream Game of Thrones, Cd projekt does, but I’ve understood that they’ve done with fantasy for now as Witcher 3 is coming out. They will be focusing on Cyberpunk now.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

To you guys who are saying that an RPG version of Game of Thrones is the way forward… you are idiots. The elder scrolls games are amazing but they aren’t really known for their stories. Game of Thrones is based on books after all so if it was translated into a game it would have to be very much story based for it to succeed. I believe that Telltales style of story telling would fit a Game of Thrones game, however I think the project would be too ambitious.

I agree with a lot of comments that say the engine needs to be updated. TWD and TWAU looked good for a graphic novel style but it wouldn’t work for GOT. Also all of telltale games have been quite cartoonish in its look.

If they were gonna do it, they’re probably gonna focus on another part of the story because the main one is ridiculously large.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

aaroncarney - 23 November 2013 01:29 PM

To you guys who are saying that an RPG version of Game of Thrones is the way forward… you are idiots.

I’m not a mod but I’d prefer it if you would keep those kind of opinions to yourselves form now on. In my OP I specifically stated I did not want any bickering in this thread. All opinions are valid even if you do not share them. (and like you I do not) However if this is going to be the mood of this thread then I will ask the mods to shut it down. I wanted to start a civilised discussion about a TellTake take on GoT. Not start an internet brawl. This is AGs not 4chan. We’re a people who enloy a cerebral challenge. How hard can it be to have a discussion without insulting eachother?

The elder scrolls games are amazing but they aren’t really known for their stories. Game of Thrones is based on books after all so if it was translated into a game it would have to be very much story based for it to succeed. I believe that Telltales style of story telling would fit a Game of Thrones game, however I think the project would be too ambitious.

I definitely see your points and agree with most of them. Even though there are RPGs with a decent story and characters. (Dragon Age Origins which I am playing now has a decent story and pretty good charactarizetion) But RPGs have two chaarcactaristics that make them unsuited for a GoT adaptation:

First: they don’t really have a set main character and since this will be a series integrated into a much bigger serie it has to have a recognizable mijn character. Also RPGs by nature don’t allow for that many player characters and any decent GoT spinn off should have at least three player charcters if not more.

Second: RPGs are almost always very action based and GoT simply doesn’t contain all that much action. A good GoT game should have gameplay that consists mostly of plotting to reacht the top and/or solidifying your position. At it’s core GoT is a powerstruggle so gameplay should refelct that. I think the onyl way GoT could work as an RPG is if it’s a strategy leaning RPG where you can create your own house, swear fealy and help your characters rise to immense power and or keep it. Because that is what GoT is ultimately about imo.

Barring that I would agrea that TellTake’s storyfocussed gameplay is defintily the way to go for a GoT game. And it doesn’t actually have to be very ambitious. Not if TellTala choose to pick a small segment out of GoT’s immense lore. For instance they could do a miniseries on Aegon Targaryen. We keep hearing about the bugger but we actually know very little about him. The series could detail his conquests, his mariages and eventually end with the faith militant uprising, All this could be told in 6 or 7 episodes and wouldn’t require to many player characters and could be told in a fairly linear narative. Plus it would grant TellTale the chance to show some previously unexplored lore from Martin’s world. Perhaps even expanding it. (with Martin’s consent of course) It’s just to give an idea how they could make a “show within a show” without it being overly ambitious.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

gray pierce - 23 November 2013 03:45 PM

We’re a people who enjoy a cerebral challenge.

This statement is completely at odds with your professed desire to see Telltale do a Game of Thrones game, as Telltale’s version would surely be neither cerebral nor challenging.  Just saying.  Wink

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

tomimt - 23 November 2013 12:11 PM

I do agree, Telltale does not scream Game of Thrones, Cd projekt does, but I’ve understood that they’ve done with fantasy for now as Witcher 3 is coming out. They will be focusing on Cyberpunk now.

But TTG scream writing, thats their only redeeming quality and i think they can pulloff
whats the novel did best i.e writing. If they will set the right hooks and some
side stories people will go with the flow.
Since people aint much bothered by QTE fights in TWAU, they can reuse it for GoT.

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

The Fire and Ice Material is already well written - the game play mechanics would really be important in this game.  I don’t see it as a straight RPG, but definitely a hybrid - a role playing adventure game - would suit the material.

I guess we’ll see.  Remember, Telltale “WAS” making a King’s Quest game, too, and look how that turned out, eh?

Bt

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

Not surprising, but it’s pretty disappointing and it’s not a particularly exciting setting.

I don’t watch Walking Dead but at least it was something pretty new to have a zombie game that was dialogue heavy and full of gravitas instead of the usual stuff.  Wolf Among Us is something pretty new too.  But there’s tonnes of high fantasy games already - this just seems like money-grabbing fan-service instead of pushing the creative envelope.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

OneFlesh - 23 November 2013 06:21 PM

just seems like money-grabbing fan-service instead of pushing the creative envelope.

You just described every Telltale game.  Wink

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Lambonius - 23 November 2013 06:22 PM

You just described every Telltale game. Wink

In a world where most TV shows become a parody of themselves by their third season, Telltale has done a great job of sticking to (mostly) original characters and scenarios. Sure, there’s some overlap there, but as someone who hasn’t read the comics, I never once felt alienated due to out of context references or call-backs. I just finished 400 Days and really enjoyed it. Is it a traditional adventure game experience? No, nor is it trying to be. Best to get over that comparison and move on Wink

If you want a real example of unashamed fan service, play Mass Effect 3. The whole game is an excuse to bump into every character you met in the first two games, no matter how implausible it might be. Remember how they changed the ending of the game? That is pandering. The Walking Dead doesn’t even come remotely close.

I agree with gray pierce and aaroncarney in regards to genre—an RPG may seem like a great idea initially (and I’m sure a good one could be made in the right hands, you’d have to play a rebel knight or something), but RPGs are first-and-foremost about hunting and collecting; beating foes, collecting loot and experience. In a GoT game, progression should be tied to building knowledge/power and of course, not dying.

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Really? Original characters?  Seriously?

Sam and Max.
Guybrush Threepwood.
Marty Fucking McFly

Really?  Telltale does a lot of stuff, but originality has nothing to do with it, so really - don’t try to play that card.

Bt

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Blackthorne - 23 November 2013 08:06 PM

Really? Original characters?  Seriously?

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was referring to original characters within their respective franchises, specifically in TWD where they’ve done a great job developing their own characters.

A Back To The Future game is going to feature Marty McFly and a Monkey Island game is going to feature Guybrush Threepwood. That’s the whole point. It doesn’t make those games fan-service crap just because they’re licensed.

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Yeah, but they’re not original characters.  It doesn’t make them NOT fan-service crap just because they’re licensed either!

Like I said - Telltale is many things, but original characters?  Uh, no.

Bt

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top