• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

If there was a new instalment in the Simon The Sorcerer series, what would you prefer it to be?

Poll: If there was a new Simon The Sorcerer, I would like it to be...
Total Votes: 26
A reboot
A direct sequel of Simon 2
A direct sequel of Simon 3D
A direct sequel of Simon 5

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2005-02-20

PM

This is for *ahem* research purposes.
Try and bury your rage and disappointment (if any) for the last two parts so you can answer with a clear mind Smile

If you can comment why along with answering the poll, even better!
Cheers.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’d actually prefer it to be redone version of Simon 3D. The game itself had pretty funny plot, it was the gameplay and clunky 3D engine that rendered the game horrible.

Simon 4 and Simon 5 are both industrial gargabe and can be forgotten entirely.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tomimt - 16 November 2013 11:57 AM

I’d actually prefer it to be redone version of Simon 3D. The game itself had pretty funny plot, it was the gameplay and clunky 3D engine that rendered the game horrible.

I agree with this. The engine was clunky and the game was buggy, but story and humour-wise, Simon 3D was a more than OK game.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-02-20

PM

I enjoyed Simon 3D story too, that’s one of the reasons I placed it’s on the poll Smile
Frankly, I placed the fifth one simply cause is the last one.
I suppose there was a lot of work involved in the Silver Style games, but I would even prefer if they were considered non-canon. Personal opinion.

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

To me there are only 2 Simon the Sorcerer games, the first two. The later 3d games don’t exist to me.

From looking at Moby Games’ average user ratings (on a 1 - 5 scale )

Simon the Sorcerer 1 has 3.72
Simon the Sorcerer 2 has 3.71
Simon the Sorcerer 3d has 2.98
Simon the Sorcerer 4 has 2.85
Simon the Sorcerer 5 has 2.62

Notice how the most beloved and well received games of the series are the first two, the animated ones. As soon as they switched to 3d/cg style the series went downhill.

If only they had stuck with the traditional animated style for the 3rd game I imagine it would be a classic by now, especially considering that there weren’t many traditional animated adventures being released around this time of 2002, it would have stood out as exceptional.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I would prefer people come up with an original idea and stop flogging that particular zombie horse.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

What is a reboot?  A new game? I was torn with this, as simon 1 is my favorite game of all time. Simon 2 isn’t as good, IMO.  Simon 3 was a great game, but, with all the bugs and arcade sequences, it got too frustrating, and a workup of that would make it a great game - with it being point and click, instead of the miserable mouse keys.  after Simon 3, the Simon games got terrible and I don’t even want to see a workup of them.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

In all honesty I’m not that keen to get another Simon game either. To me it always was the lesser adventure games series of the 90’s. A nice game for what it was, but never really extraordinarily good and I never have considerd it to be among the classic AG.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I don’t like reboots in general, but Simon 5 was not good and if they did a sequel there would be a lot (a LOT) of fixing to do for me to want to play it. For a start bring back the original Simon 1 voice actor (not the inferior Simon 2 guy), and get the Woodroffes back if not as writers then at least in an advisory role. For graphic artists get anyone who worked on the first 2 games, those were nice graphics.

Not to offend any Germans here but I think the series suffered from having German writers, when Simon originally had such a British sense of humor and cynicism. The fact Simon 3D is seen as a well written game let down by everything else confirms this.

Joined 2005-02-20

PM

Thank you all guys for the great feedback Smile Much appreciated.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

I’m not terribly interested in a new Simon either, but I, too, would play a remake of part 3 if this makes sense gameplay wise. Never could quite get myself to play the original further than the first location and have often heard about story and humor holding up quite nicely.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

A remake of the third, with similar graphics to the first two and Chris Barrie voicing Simon, would be awesome. Or a completely new one, provided it’s awesome.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I’m not sure you’d want to make a “Simon” game. He’s not a great character, the world isn’t super interesting, nothing about the series is unique enough for it to be a waste to start something new. The plot of “snarky guy sucked into a world of magic containing parodies on fairy tales” can be done without having “Simon” in the title and worrying too much about which part to remake.
Of course, a remake can cut down on the creative effort needed, and if that’s what you’re looking to do, then probably a remake of 2 (or sequel to it) is your best bet - there are multiple “new” versions of the first game running around, so making another one might not be the best bet, income-wise.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Antrax - 18 November 2013 12:07 AM

I’m not sure you’d want to make a “Simon” game. He’s not a great character, the world isn’t super interesting, nothing about the series is unique enough for it to be a waste to start something new. The plot of “snarky guy sucked into a world of magic containing parodies on fairy tales” can be done without having “Simon” in the title and worrying too much about which part to remake.

Yes, it can. It’s called “Deponia” and if I had a choice between that or a Simon game the quality of 1 or 2, I’d take Simon any day of the week.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 18 November 2013 12:40 AM
Antrax - 18 November 2013 12:07 AM

Yes, it can. It’s called “Deponia” and if I had a choice between that or a Simon game the quality of 1 or 2, I’d take Simon any day of the week.

Seriously?!?
You mean that Deponia can be summarized as “snarky guy sucked into a world of magic containing parodies on fairy tales”? I can see similarities between the Rufus and Simon character but not in the plot or the setting.

Anyway to get back to the poll, then I wouldn’t bother with a remake of any of the games, but a new game in the series would have me interested. And why not just pick up were the last game ended?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Remake of the third game, done using traditional 2D animation of course.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top