• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Games you should give a 2nd chance to

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Following on from Advie’s thread about games you’ve changed your mind over I was thinking about games I’ve bought/been given as presents that I’ve started but quit for some reason or other and never had a 2nd go at. Not sure whether I’m looking for opinions on what to try again or showing what I couldn’t get on with at the time of playing them Smile

Anyway - my list:

Sanitarium (hated the isometric view)

Journey To The Centre Of The Earth

Law and Order: Double Or Nothing

Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Mummy

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

7th Guest

Harvester (Can’t run this one)

Starship Titanic (hated the parser)

Indiana Jones & the Infernal Machine

Silver

Toonstruck (is the game where something runs around very fast at the beginning and you die quickly?)

Riven (I can guess what people will say about this!)

Journeyman Project 3

Journey to the Moon

Myst

Myst III Exile

Myst IV Revelation

Ring

11th Hour (I could never get this to run past the opening cut scene for some reason)

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you know Jabod this happens to me all the time and I hate it! , I can NOT re-run the game as when it have been a while since I abandoned it, I mostly forget what it was all about ,and I can not help myself from run it from start.

but I know sorta of how this happens to me, its always because getting bored (and take an easy way out.. why do I always feel obliged to finish one adventure?!!) of one AG, but that is not it ,its when I try another (and I say to myself I will get back to that one) and what happens next that I lose interest and get hooked to the other.

the only one game of what you have mentioned as I played them all expect for Ring and CSI: Crime Scene Investigations is Journeyman Project 3, counterwise Riven (which sadly I never been able to help my self into replaying it .. always feel like big burden to roll again). Journeyman Project 3 is an easy going (not so easy playing) adventure and you are missing on great fun and worlds to visit Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Oh boy, this might be a long list.

The main two are Mortville Manor & Maupiti Island - I get the feeling you just need to plunge into these not worrying about understanding things. Whenever I play them (3 or 4 times maybe) I felt totally befuzzled about what was happening or what I was meant to be doing. Appearances are deceiving because everything I’ve read suggests they are great games with a lot of thought behind them.

Some more:
Police Quest - All of them. Never managed to finish any of them back in the day.
Celtica
Resonance
Schizm 1 & 2
Conquests of Camelot - Loved Longbow, couldn’t get into Camelot. Deserves another go.
Aura 1 & 2
Faust: 7 Games of the Soul - Wasn’t in the right frame of mind when I started it. Seems like a good game though.
Neverhood - sigh. I’ve tried, I really have. I just find it… well, boring, and I don’t swoon over ‘claymation’ like everyone else. But with everyone telling me how great it is I feel it deserves another try.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I’m behind you on Neverhood. I’ve played it through; It’s really not worth the bother. I also think you have the right idea on the PQ series (paperwork simulators) and Conquests of the Longbow (it looks like the result of a competition to be the most Sierra - endless stupid deaths and dead ends).
Then again, you probably liked Syberia, so you might not want to listen to me about games.

I really don’t see how anyone can not like Resonance.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I didn’t ‘not like’ Resonance, I made it halfway through and just lost interest (like with Gemini Rue). I don’t think it’s as brilliant as everyone says but it deserves a full playthrough.

You didn’t like Longbow? I thought it was excellent, and I’m someone usually falls asleep during anything Robin Hood related.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Camelot, brainfart. Sorry. I liked Longbow as well.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

I bought 999 (DS) because of the fantastic reviews and because I loved Chunsoft’s other sound novels… only to discover I didn’t like the game at all. I got to one bad ending, but I never went back to get the real ending… partly because the story didn’t really appeal to me, partly because for some reason they didn’t add a jump-to-point-in-flowchart function in the game (which speeds things up), like well, practically all of Chunsoft’s sound novels since the PS era >_>

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Antrax - 17 November 2013 01:21 AM

I really don’t see how anyone can not like Resonance.

I don’t even “not like” Resonance. I seriously hate it. Almost as much as I hate Schizm. The story is all right if nothing spectacular but the gameplay is god awful. I quit playing halfway through because I just got so fed up with having to use a walkthrough for every frickin puzzle! And even with a walkthrough it was near undoable. Half the puzzles feel like playing a text adventure. To my mind the only way you can finish this game is if you’re a programmer or just really good at maths and I’m neither of those two. I’m not saying it’s a bad game but I very seriously hate it.

Gemini Rue on the other hand is in my opinion one of the best games ever made.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

That’s surprising - several puzzles have alternate solutions and they’re all well-clued. It also has a sort of built-in hint system I think, as characters can ask each other for advice.

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2008-10-17

PM

i didn’t like the fact that i gad to manage all of those characters in resonance.. i thought the game was ok but it didn’t really stick with me.. gemini rue on the other hand, since everyone is comparing them, is one of my favorite games, i loved it

Total Posts: 512

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’m having fun playing Frogware’s sherlock holmes games, two of which i’ve started before but never finished. I got like half an hour into The Mystery of the Mummy the first time and maybe halfway into Arsene Lupin (Nemesis) before losing interest. This time around I enjoyed them much more and as a “bonus” I got to replay the two games in between and was surprised how much more I enjoyed them too now. Not the best writing in the world, but captivating games if one can get past a few leaps in logic (where did that small statuette of cthulhu in The Awakened come from for instance?).Smile

Next in line is Jack the Ripper, but that will be the first time I give that one a go.

The Whispered World is probably the latest adventure game I didn’t finish. Just got bored with it after a while. Will try again someday.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tantei KID - 17 November 2013 04:09 AM

I bought 999 (DS) because of the fantastic reviews and because I loved Chunsoft’s other sound novels… only to discover I didn’t like the game at all. I got to one bad ending, but I never went back to get the real ending… partly because the story didn’t really appeal to me, partly because for some reason they didn’t add a jump-to-point-in-flowchart function in the game (which speeds things up), like well, practically all of Chunsoft’s sound novels since the PS era >_>

I can see your pain, it also frustrated me but the payoff is so good that it’s well suffering for all the problems and than you can jump to the sequel that fixes all those problems.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

BTW, what I’m getting at is not that I’m a Resonance fanboy, but that the game stayed close enough to the old mechanics and tried really hard to cover all its bases, so I expect most adventure fans to like it just by virtue of how it was constructed.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I should try to tackle Critter Chronicles again… will I?

Nah. I strongly disliked almost everything about that game, never got past the first scene.

Oh yeah, and To The Moon. Although I’d rather watch Forrest Gump a hundred times over - I still won’t cry, but at least I won’t have to press buttons moving the characters around while the thing tries its hardest to bring the sad.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Antrax - 18 November 2013 12:01 AM

BTW, what I’m getting at is not that I’m a Resonance fanboy, but that the game stayed close enough to the old mechanics and tried really hard to cover all its bases, so I expect most adventure fans to like it just by virtue of how it was constructed.

That might very well be why I couldn’t do it. I played my first adventure game in 2003. I have played some of the older games such as Broken Sword 1 and 2(actually my very first games) Gabriel Knight, Curse of Monkey Island, and The Last Express (and quite a few others) but anything before the 90s I’m completely unfamiliar with.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I tried getting into Riven too, about 3 times, and just couldn’t get into it. But, I keep thinking I need to give it 4 or 5 chances, as everyone seems to like it so much. But, it sure wasn’t fun for me the first few times I tried it.  With Simon the Sorcerer 3, I hated it the first 3 or 4 times I tried it, and put it away for about 5 years. I finally one day decided to give it a try again, and now it is one of my favorite games; and probably my most memorable. I did have to get a saved game for an arcade sequence, but, it really is a great game.  Grim Fandango is another one. I hated the controls and tried it twice, put it away for a few years… and when I finally made up my mind to finish it, what a great game. So, I guess some games definitely are worth a second or third chance.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top