• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Games you had a second opinion about..?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I think that is a common thing to happen with many players around ,I was able to put my hands on three role models of this situation which were mostly can happen on different occasions and various adventure games.

The 1st which I think its a very common situation ,that some game that was released at certain time (mostly old) and you get to miss it rather intentionally ,and by time you get to find that its being praised and mentioned a lot whether at some forums or a top games list ,but since you already made up your mind earlier not to play it that get you more hesitated to even roll it on, I actually never understood this feeling especially with myself ,I think its some sort of a reaction coming out of an undesirable pride , maybe because there was a time that this one game or another came out and there were a lot of variations in the market and I can happen to jump over one or two games from time to time.
the most recent experience with that situation was with Flight of the Amazon Queen ,back then when it was released I was really hooked by buying every adventure game with a the Sierra and LucasArts trade marks on their boxes ,rather for safety choice ,and when it became old and I started reading its praises here and there ,I still thought it wont be nothing but another Indiana jones cliché ,plus the more it became old the more I had my doubts ,it would be even more improper due it becoming so outdated .. but anyways it turned out to be as great as anyone had ever mentioned it and enjoyed.

The 2nd which is also very common; is to try one game and not exceed more than the intro and some several screens (even more) through the start of the game then you give up on it, leaving it at your shelves or your hard drive for years ,and then one time you get to roll it to find out what a gem that your were missing on.
also this and happened to me relatively recently (2 years ago) when I decided to play The Moment Of silence when I had gave up on it years ago after trying only the games start location and figuring out how the character’s control is and the camera views are ,but only after I had replayed Overclocked I decided to play the only game that left out of the same dev out there, and I was more than amazed ,I was rather shocked of how did I leave it behind all that long time! ,I even had an adventurer block for a while afterwards (did I make I thread about that, ooh I made so many that I am confused was it a thread or just a post).

The 3rd which could be the least common situation is to have a 2nd opinion after a replay of one game whether to like or dislike more..
I had this with Syberia ,I happened to play the sequel before the original and for that when I played Syberia I was rushing myself into the game and only cared about getting to the bottom of the story to know what have I missed , but over my replay I was thinking how amused am I, it even felt not just more beautiful than before like its the 1st time I ever play , as if literally I never touched it before ,maybe that is only because I was rushed through it firstly .

I am sure there could be some other role models and many way behind having a 2nd opinion about one AG.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Two categories for me
1st category: Bad to good

Sherlock Holmes Nemesis
1st reaction: “Boring. Why did I buy this? It’s really slow and the puzzles are so hard and boring. I have better things to do”. *Uninstalls*
2nd rection: “Wow ,this is great. How did I ignore this? The riddles and puzzles are brilliant and so Holmes-ian. What a great game”.

RHEM
1st reaction: “What is this? It’s just puzzles, no story. No intro either besides a stupid rail-car ride? Bah. Waste of money” *Uninstalls*
2nd rections; “This is just pure heaven. Puzzles galore and no chit-chatty shit or dumb story to click through. How did I not see the brilliance of it first time around?.”

2nd category: From good to bad

Any Daedelic game besides E&H
“Hey wow it’s 2013 and I’m playing a real adventure game again! Great characters, hard puzzles… I’m going to enjoy this!”
5 hours later: “zzzzzz…. uhh what time is it? oh god if I have to take Rufus through another stupid illogical puzzle sequence or endless conversation tree I’m gonna kill myself.”

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-03-23

PM

Sadly, I can’t prove anything useful because my knowledge of adventure games is pretty limited. But this topic really interests me so I’m definitely going to stick around.

Great thread Advie Smile

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Daedelic adventures have this problem indeed. Another example of “something went wrong” are Microids adventures. Syberia, Still Life, Post Mortem - all of them has an artistic touch and have an intriguing premise, but after awhile you realise they are just trying you patience with bad writing and poor puzzles. The games made by artists, not game designers.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I think it’s more common for me to have a negative second opinion on years of hindsight. A lot of games don’t hold up like how I remember as a kid. We all had higher tolerances for certain design flaws and unintuitive puzzles back then.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yeha, there’s a lot of games, of which flaws have grown on me. If I’d be playing King’s Quest games for the first time today for an example, I don’t think I’d like them very much. But because I’ve grown with them I can overlook certain design errors just because I can play those game through with my eyes closed.

I can’t recall a single event where I’d suddenly started to like a game I initially disliked after I gave it a second try.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Well, in an older thread I’ve said that I grew a new appreciation for the 16 color SCI Sierra games precisely because of the very reasons I didn’t like them in the first place. They remained steadfast in their practice of adding unfair deaths and dead ends and it is really enjoyable seeing someone get trolled by an old game.

Mind you, my opinion wouldn’t have changed if the writing wasn’t so strong in some of these games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top