• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Games/Franchises you want to see in TTG style

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lambonius - 03 November 2013 04:44 PM

The OP of this thread is trolling, right?

I dislike the style of TTG saturating adventure games, but it doesnt mean that
mechanic(or lack thereof) can work for some IPs really well.
Since cost of implementing gameplay as excuse to drive narrative is sometimes too high and doesnt end in good product in the end, might just avoid it and make it interactive drama. Hence i used the word style not necessarily a adventure game at its core.

Some IPs like Sincity also could use it, no need to shoehorn cover shooter in it.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Speak of the devil: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/10/28/five-franchises-telltale-games-should-do-next.aspx

Star Wars is one of their suggestions for a Telltale game, because there just isn’t enough Star Wars stuff.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Star Wars? Marvel? James Bond?!?!?!? What a boring list… Would we have to choose which Bond girl to get?

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

wilco - 06 November 2013 07:09 PM

Star Wars? Marvel? James Bond?!?!?!? What a boring list… Would we have to choose which Bond girl to get?

First of all Firefly is an awesome option.

And why not James Bond? Like you know Walking Dead would really suck, you’d just choose if you smack the zombie from right or left, booooring.

Daredevil might be interesting with the “blind vision” gimmick and many other superheroes with their unique abilities could be a good foundation for some fun puzzles.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

But Telltale games don’t have puzzles anymore. I think it’s a bad list too not because I dislike those franchises, because they don’t allow interesting moral choices. James Bond would, if true to form, turn out more like Jurassic Park did, a succession of action set-pieces with a moral decision of which chick to bang.

I think Star Trek would be fine, as well as the series in millenia’s avatar. I would play those.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

millenia - 07 November 2013 12:45 AM

First of all Firefly is an awesome option.

And why not James Bond? Like you know Walking Dead would really suck, you’d just choose if you smack the zombie from right or left, booooring.

Daredevil might be interesting with the “blind vision” gimmick and many other superheroes with their unique abilities could be a good foundation for some fun puzzles.

I like Star Wars or James Bond, but like Oscar already said I think they are more of action franchises without interesting moral choices. Plus it’s boring because we have tons of games in those franchises.
I would’t have predicted Walking Dead would turn out great but the human part foundation from the comic was there - but, yes, it could have easily turn out bad (see the Walkind Dead Activision game…)

But, I agree, more Firefly stuff could be awesome Smile

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

Oscar - 04 November 2013 01:24 AM

Since the ‘TTG style’ is all about adapting existing IPs (Sam & Max, BTTF, Jurassic Park, The Walking Dead), coming up with new stuff isn’t really in the equation here.

A lot of ther work has been adapting graphic novels so I don’t think it’s particularly absurd to suggest they could start a new franchise; get Gaiman (or even Joss Whedon or the like!) and you’d get people’s attention.

If they had to do an existing one, Archer would be amazing. Heart Eyes

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TWD comics were all about losing humanity and walking along the thin gray moral line,
cant say same about starwars and Bond. Heck bond cant even get out of his
character out of risk of brand erosion. Tongue

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Actually I can see how Star Wars could be done. You would need to make choices which branch your path towards the dark or light side of the force. It would have to be extremely well written however to make the moral decisions less clear-cut, which would be a difficult task. But it’s possible.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Personally I don’t see why Telltale games couldn’t still have puzzles in them. Superpowers could also be used in the vein of Beyond, which was actually quite fun way to play.

And what is this thing about Bond? You people have actually seen more than one actor playing Bond, right? Didn’t notice any differences? Cause I did. And that would definitely be something interesting to explore. Your Bond could be a dandy with a twinkle in your eye. You could take yourself very seriously, you could be more of a smarts person - or a brawler, choose to fall in love with one of your “Bond girls” or just sleep with everything that moves.

Wouldn’t that actually be kinda cool, to be able to play the Bond as you think he should be? There’s always the book Bond too who was pretty much a violent, alcoholic douche who used women (or at least I heard something like that, haven’t actually read any of the novels yet).

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I don’t know, Star Wars has the tendecy to be very straight light side/dark side stuff, it could be done, and has already Bioware and Obsidian, just not by Lucas Smile And lightsaber QTE battles don’t seem very interesting.

Millenia: You should check Alpha protocol, it’s a action RPG that has a lot of that Bond different persona choices you’re talking about.
I don’t think whoever owns the right to Bond now would let anyone deviate from his basic movie personality.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

millenia - 07 November 2013 07:15 AM

And what is this thing about Bond? You people have actually seen more than one actor playing Bond, right? Didn’t notice any differences? Cause I did. And that would definitely be something interesting to explore. Your Bond could be a dandy with a twinkle in your eye. You could take yourself very seriously, you could be more of a smarts person - or a brawler, choose to fall in love with one of your “Bond girls” or just sleep with everything that moves.

*coughs* That sounds thrilling!...

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

I don’t know if this counts as an existing IP, but Robin Hood would imo be a great choice.

There aren’t that many Robin Hood games (at least not critical acclaimed ones) and Conquests of the Longbow still stands as the best game out there.

Would’t it be great if Telltale could produce a Robin Hood game combining strategic and moral choices, moderate action/QTE’s (archery) and old school adventuring?
Looks almost like a 2013 version of Conquests of the Longbow, but this is long overdue.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

wilco - 07 November 2013 07:16 AM

Millenia: You should check Alpha protocol, it’s a action RPG that has a lot of that Bond different persona choices you’re talking about.
I don’t think whoever owns the right to Bond now would let anyone deviate from his basic movie personality.

I think my spouse has Alpha Protocol but it’s not like I have time to try it out in this decade Tongue

And you might be right about the rights on Bond but still, there isn’t “a basic movie personality” as Roger Moore’s and Daniel Craig’s Bond are very much a different persons. I think currently there are three kinds of people: the ones who believe Sean Connery is the only real Bond (probably still a majority), the ones who think Roger Moore is the real Bond (the dandy minority) and the ones who think Daniel Craig is the real Bond (growing). You can add a comical choice of George Lazenby too though I think the poor guy has a worse reputation than he deserves. These three variations definitely wouldn’t be that horrible to provide to players as play style choices. (Almost) all Bond fans could be happy!

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

millenia - 07 November 2013 08:27 AM

I think currently there are three kinds of people: the ones who believe Sean Connery is the only real Bond (probably still a majority), the ones who think Roger Moore is the real Bond (the dandy minority) and the ones who think Daniel Craig is the real Bond (growing). You can add a comical choice of George Lazenby too though I think the poor guy has a worse reputation than he deserves.

What about fans of Timothy Dalton or Pierce Brosnan? Cry

A quick Google search yielded these (I didn’t read them all, just showing that they exist):

Dalton:
http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2012-11/08/timothy-dalton-the-best-james-bond-007
http://whatculture.com/film/why-timothy-dalton-is-actually-the-greatest-james-bond.php
http://www.totalfilm.com/features/is-timothy-dalton-the-best-bond

Brosnan:
http://www.totalfilm.com/features/is-it-just-me-or-is-pierce-brosnan-the-bond-to-beat-them-all
http://blogs.amctv.com/movie-blog/2008/08/pierce-brosnan-is-the-best-bond/

Or do you just mean Moore and Craig represent extremes on the spectrum, with Connery providing something of a middle ground (thus simplifying the game’s play styles down to three)?

Anyway, your proposed game where you decide what kind of Bond you will be (how dandy vs. serious, how suave and insincere vs. sincere, etc.) sounds fun. I think Wilco has a good point that an RPG company like Obsidian (who made Alpha Protocol) might be more likely to make a game like this than Telltale, and that the Bond license holders might want control over how heroic vs. anti-heroic Bond is portrayed, but there’s certainly potential for a game there.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top