• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game company LOGOs?

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-08-23

PM

Normally I’m not quite THIS much of a geek that I discuss the LOGOs behind the game companies behind the games, but I feel like adventure games are the one field (as well as movie production logos) where the logos actually MEAN something.

Rather than just paying a graphical design company millions to chose a font and color for your cool-sounding abbreviation (see “EA games”), adventure game companies tends to make logos that are less about impressing investors and more about making gamers interested in trying their games.

Do you feel the same? What’s your favorite?
Personally my favorite is the classic LucasArt’s golden guy, but I’ve actually read oppinions that LucasArt’s logo looks ugly and unproffesional, but I’m wildly guessing they just aren’t adventure game fans.

The reason I’m asking is because I’m trying to design my own logo for an adventure game and I have zero experience with that type of graphical design.
This is what I have so far: (Will do a cleaner redraw once I’ve gotten some feedback)

Even before feedback I realize my logo looks “unproffesional” and possibly childish, but I’m hoping that for ADVENTURE game fans (which is the intended target) a playful/thematic design is actually preferred. What do you think?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Actually to be quite honest, I don’t give a rat’s ass about the logo’s, only the actual games produced, and I think I represent most adventure gamers in this.

It doesn’t mean that it can’t have any significance for your company, just that we are probably not the right people to ask.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-08-23

PM

Iznogood - 02 November 2013 12:28 PM

Actually to be quite honest, I don’t give a rat’s ass about the logo’s, only the actual games produced, and I think I represent most adventure gamers in this.

It doesn’t mean that it can’t have any significance for your company, just that we are probably not the right people to ask.

Quite honest indeed and probably quite true! I feel that way about pretty much every product (apart from AG’s) so I know the feeling.

No worries if no AG’s have opinions I’ll ask on some graphical design forum, altho I fear they will be more likely to nit-pick about the exact design rather than whether it communicates the right type of game.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Not bad actually but i dont get the idea with the cow at the background what kinda meaning
you like to convey with that?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I like the logo when it’s interactive specific to the game. Like The Lucasarts gold guy who would sprout lightsabres or the universal logo that got covered in water for Waterworld.

Most of the time I skip past them without noticing them though.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2012-08-23

PM

Gabe - 02 November 2013 01:29 PM

Not bad actually but i dont get the idea with the cow at the background what kinda meaning
you like to convey with that?

If you don’t get it, then it’s a mystery, how mysterious Grin (or maybe just lame and confusing Wink )

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2010-04-28

PM

Well, could be Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox. Still don’t get the reference though…

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I like it. It is, however, very cartoony - was that the intention? The trees and guy with axe suggests something more serious, perhaps darker.

As for favorite logos, Sierra has to be the most iconic, being distinctive and memorable while remaining simple. I like the “carved” look of this Sierra logo, looking as if it has been chiseled out of stone.

Another idea would be to have the name (Niber Games) outside the picture, as a lot of other companies do:

Doing something similar might make yours more compact with better use of space. I like the pyramid theme you’ve incorporated.

As it is, yours looks slightly less “iconic” than what seems to be favored in the industry. That’s not a criticism just an observation.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I can’t think of a genre/product where a logo would have less relevance to the product being sold. Attach a Coca-Cola logo to a product, it has relevance. Attach an Apple logo to a product, it has relevance. Attach a Sierra or LucasArts logo to a product…all of a sudden the question is “What’s the product?”

So, from a personal perspective, I wouldn’t worry so much about the logo as I would about the product. If the product is good, it will sell with a lousy logo. If the product is bad, you can hire the best designer in the world and it won’t mean anything.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 02 November 2013 08:42 PM

I can’t think of a genre/product where a logo would have less relevance to the product being sold. Attach a Coca-Cola logo to a product, it has relevance. Attach an Apple logo to a product, it has relevance. Attach a Sierra or LucasArts logo to a product…all of a sudden the question is “What’s the product?”

So, from a personal perspective, I wouldn’t worry so much about the logo as I would about the product. If the product is good, it will sell with a lousy logo. If the product is bad, you can hire the best designer in the world and it won’t mean anything.

You’d think so, but entities like sports clubs, schools and city councils also put a lot of time and money into developing their crests and logos, without a ‘product’ to sell.

While you’re right that the games need to be good too, I think a clean, memorable and clever logo can help a developer establish a reputation for quality, reliability and professionalism in the minds of game-buyers.

I imagine it would also help the company develop a kind of identity and give the staff confidence or pride in their work.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

We will agree to disagree on this one. I am now retired, but I was involved in marketing management and brand development during my entire business career. I can count on the fingers of one hand, with maybe two fingers added, where the creation of a logo was able to promote/elevate an otherwise mediocre product. The most famous being the I Heart NY symbol/logo.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Oh well, you’re probably right then. Thinking about it some more, I’d still buy any RHEM game and their developer doesn’t have a logo (or a name). S-G Software has an ugly logo and I’d buy anything they make.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

A logo doesn’t necessarily have to mean anything regarding the product. It just needs to be recognizable. Where games (and movies) are involved, it’s a plus if the logo can be used interactively.
And I like it when a logo looks simple and professional.

A Coca-Cola logo and Apple logo don’t have any relevance to the product being sold either. The only relevance now is name (and logo) recognition.
That’s not different from the Sierra or LucasArts logos, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2013-04-25

PM

I think the logo is a bit too busy.  The simpler the better, stick to a few items at most, and combine them.  You really just need a studio name text and one object to hold it together.  As a personal rule, a good logo is when you can stamp it on your work screenshots or game cover, and it doesn’t stand out like a sore thumb.  If you like it as it is, just leave it be.

Games Played: Ace Attorney (PW 1-3, Apollo Justice, Miles Investigation), Hotel Dusk and Last Window, Professor Layton (Curious Village, Diabolical Box, Unwound Future, Lost Specter), 999 and Zero Escape, Walking Dead S1-2, Trace Memory, Area-X, Time Hollow, Ghost Trick, Indian Jones FoA   Currently Playing: Portal 2, PL - Miracle Mask, Dangan Ronpa

Joined 2012-08-23

PM

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions, see; AG’s did have opinions about logos after all. Grin Will consider them more in-depth next time I’m up for making a revision.

I wouldn’t worry so much about the logo as I would about the product. If the product is good, it will sell with a lousy logo. If the product is bad, you can hire the best designer in the world and it won’t mean anything.

I had a feeling someone would argue that, and of course you’re right, yet still taking a little bit of time off to make one and get some feedback feels right to me. I guess there’s just a bit of satisfaction in doing something right, even if not directly nessesary. Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Niber - 04 November 2013 10:11 PM

I had a feeling someone would argue that, and of course you’re right, yet still taking a little bit of time off to make one and get some feedback feels right to me. I guess there’s just a bit of satisfaction in doing something right, even if not directly nessesary. Smile

Concentrate of the great game first. Then, as time permits, design the great logo that best exemplifies you. The logo can come well after the game.

Think of Sierra. The final logo is a very good one. The stone-cut name represents its foothills origins. But there was no logo when Ken and Roberta produced their first game. Yet, in the gaming world, I think the Sierra logo is one of the best, and people who know games identify it as that of a game producer.

Ergo, game first, logo second. And I think your desire to get it right is admirable.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top