• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Does It Hold Up: A Nostalgia-Free Review of Gabriel Knight 2

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Nelza - 24 October 2013 04:17 AM

For anyone that does want to replay this, I recommend -

*Getting an old chunky monitor - the cut-scenes look less grainy than on the newer flatter monitors.

*Installing the anti-interlacing program - no more ugly black lines. Smile

*Turning the music down a little in the settings at the beginning of the game - you’ll be able to hear the dialogue clearly and the music will still be loud enough to maintain the mood.

You are now ready to play GK2 the way it was meant to be played. Tongue

It’s personally my favourite adventure game of all time.

Don’t forget to subtitle patch! While it might not be very retro, it will help anyone understand the plot and the history much better thus making the game more immersive. I really really dislike the lack of subtitles. My 15-20 year old GK cds worked very well with the Sierra patches and the subtitle patch.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Thanks for the tips, Nelza and millenia. I’ll be sure to be properly set up Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-10-24

PM

I seem to remember that the game was originally supposed to be longer, but part of the plot was trimmed to stop the game from going to far over the budget. Maybe this explains some of the plot holes.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Karlok - 24 October 2013 06:11 AM

As far as I know, Sierra was the only company that produced third-person FMV games (Phantasmagoria, GK2). A daring move. All FMV adventures are first person, not counting the few with FMV avatars in a non-FMV environment, like Toonstruck.

EDIT: The edutainment game Wrath of the Gods also has a real-life actor moving through a world of photographs.

Actually Nelza’s avatar is from a 1994 3rd person FMV called Noctropolis.
Tender Loving Care from 1998 is another.
Black Dahlia (also 1998) is a 3rd.

I’m sure that there are others.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jabod - 24 October 2013 08:55 AM

You’re right, Noctropolis is 3rd-person. So are Mean Streets, Martian Memorandium, Bad Mojo, Synnergist, Harvester.
TLC is an interactive movie, certainly not 3rd-person.
Black Dahlia is a 1st-person adventure.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

In reference to the interlacing, the GoG version already has interlacing removed, so that’s the one to get if you don’t already have an old copy.

Total Posts: 783

Joined 2010-10-26

PM

About GK2:

I really like GK2 (almost as much as GK1) and it was the first FMV I’ve played.
For a few plot holes and a better understanding of some things, I’ve read the book. (and this goes also to people who love Gk2 , but also to the ones that don’t like the graphics, acting, etc Crazy )

In the book some things are a bit better explained, some plot holes that you find in the game, are .. “filled” in the book
I won’t give to many details, just an example; a plot hole in the game was Gabriel’s vision in chapter 6 beginning, then in the dungeon and bang! you’re at the opera after 2 month! (that was annoying! Laughing ), while in the book you can read more of what happened in that time [spoiler]Gabriel ,after beeing kept locked up in the dungeon gets back to the castle, there is another big argue between Gabriel and Grace there, and Gabe even gets to read von Glover’s letter! [/spoiler]

Other stuff , I guess is changed just to make way for some new puzzles in the game (for example , in the game you need to proof you’re a Ritter to get inside the lodge, [spoiler]while it isn’t needed in the book, Grace has trouble understanding german and you need to ask someone to translate the papers, while in the book she has a dictionary , and in the game it takes a while to get info on Gabriel’s case while in the book Huber tells you a lot of things.[/spoiler]

The ending is very different! [spoiler]Is not on the bridge, but inside Schloss Ritter ! [/spoiler]

And like I once said I would like a GK 4 book instead of a Gk1 remake Crazy Laughing

I am baaaaaaaack!

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2007-05-19

PM

Jabod - 24 October 2013 08:55 AM
Karlok - 24 October 2013 06:11 AM

As far as I know, Sierra was the only company that produced third-person FMV games (Phantasmagoria, GK2). A daring move. All FMV adventures are first person, not counting the few with FMV avatars in a non-FMV environment, like Toonstruck.

EDIT: The edutainment game Wrath of the Gods also has a real-life actor moving through a world of photographs.

I’m sure that there are others.

I don’t know about the first two since I haven’t played them, but Black Dahlia is actually a 1st person game.

I also wanted to chime in and note that I played GK2 for the first time around ten years ago or so, and I had no idea who Jane Jensen was at the time. And what do you know—despite this, I fell completely in love! I was actually so inspired by the photograph-based backgrounds and enchanted by Bavaria because of this game that I visited Munich and its surroundings to do a real-life GK2 tour (note the photo in my avatar?).

So let’s not say the only reason anyone would love this game or think it’s one of the best they’ve played is because they’re delusional by nostalgia. It just isn’t true. Wink

Current favourites: Murdered: Soul Suspect, The Talos Principle
Lasting loves: Tex Murphy, Gabriel Knight, Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, The Last Express, L.A. Noire, Portal 2

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UruBoo - 23 October 2013 11:40 AM

I agree with subbi on that: there is no way you can review a 15-20 year old game today with the value it deserves. For me, reviewing old games today is not fare and have no purpose. I remember well the first time I played GK2 in 1996: it was a blast! And I never had the same feelings with the today’s games. For this, pure and simple: GK2 is ONE of the (if not THE) best games I ever played. That is what CLASSIC means, by the way.

Actually, the definition of classic is “a work generally considered to be of the highest rank or excellence, especially one of enduring significance”. You can’t talk about the enduring significance of something that’s new, so while you can call it a classic NOW, you couldn’t really do that back in the mid-90s.
The “does it hold up” question is the very reason why reviewing old games is both fair and purposeful, because that’s more or less the defining question that turns a game into a “classic” or into merely a “good attempt”...

Lambonius - 23 October 2013 02:36 PM

Yeah, I’m not fully judging it by today’s standards either, more just trying to think about whether or not it is still playable and enjoyable as is.

Thumbs Up
That’s exactly how it should be done. You can’t fully judge something that’s almost 20 years old by today’s standards. The technological advances alone make that impossible. If you want to compare the game with something, you should compare it with its contemporaries…

I’ve never played the game before, despite contemplating to buy it dozens of times back in the mid-90s. That means I can approach GK2 nostalgia-free as well. Would you mind if I posted my own review of the game in this thread, once I’ve played it?
If I ever get some game-time ever again, that is… Shifty Eyed

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

TimovieMan - 24 October 2013 03:45 PM

Would you mind if I posted my own review of the game in this thread, once I’ve played it?

Not at all!  By all means.

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Lambonius - 23 October 2013 03:55 AM

I think in terms of werewolf narratives, this is a very strong one.  The way the fictional pieces of the story fit with some of the actual mysteries and legends of Bavarian history is definitely the high-point of the game.  The parts of the game where you, as Grace, are tasked with delving into the history and mythology of the area is great, but ultimately those sections serve to highlight the weakness of Gabriel’s side of the narrative.  At times I felt like it wasn’t clear enough WHY Gabriel was doing some of the things he was doing—like getting involved with the Hunt Club, getting to know Von Glower.  In general, Gabriel’s side of the story is just less interesting.  The “case” he’s trying to solve is quickly forgotten as Gabriel gets more and more sidetracked with new characters and locations.  Later on in the story, when you find the zoo wolf tags—I remember distinctly thinking something along the lines of “Oh yeah, I was supposed to be solving a case!” 

The story also hits its peak well before the final act.  In fact, I think the final act in general is probably the weakest point of the entire game.  It’s never made clear why the opera itself apparently has the power to make the werewolves transform, or why exactly that’s useful to anyone.  And the gameplay as Grace, walking around the opera house picking up random bits of junk and setting up the “trap” (which is also never explained—why exactly did they need to lock Von Glower in and shine a spotlight on him?) is just boring.  This was the point where I stopped playing in my first run through the game, and it was out of boredom.  Anyway, I don’t want to spend too much more time picking apart the story—suffice it to say that it has its strengths and weaknesses, but is far from the perfect masterpiece many claim it to be.

I do really like that the main villain is sympathetic and multi-dimensional as a character, though.  So often in werewolf stories, the actual werewolf villain is portrayed as more of an animalistic killer, and that’s not at all the case here, which is a nice change of pace that helps set the story apart.  In fact, the villain is so sympathetic, that it seemed a little strange that he ends up getting violent and having to be killed at the end of the game.  I guess the opera did that?  Yeah…another thing that wasn’t very well explained.  Oh well.

Ultimately the plan for the trap was to force Von Glower to transform and Leber was maneuvered into position to be forced to either kill him(the most likely outcome) or capture him once Von Glower transformed.  Also in the high box seats I think Wagner figured that Von Glower would not be able to survive the fall if he tried to jump(wrong).  The opera being able to transform him is something you have to accept along with the idea of werewolves in the first place(Wagner apparently did some serious supernatural research to create that opera).  The entire reason for this was to save Gabriel from being a werewolf, since it was basically implied in some of the details you gather that once the “Alpha” werewolf is killed, those of his lineage would revert back to their human state, which was proven to be correct at the end of the game.

Von Glower is not violent at the end of the game by choice.  His sole objective once he’s forced to transform at the opera is to escape from it.  He only attacks when he’s completely cornered at the end, in which case his goal is still just to get away(and if you fail to knock him into the fire, he gets away without causing injury to anyone, Leber then turns and shoots wolf Gabriel before Grace can react).  He is a fairly sympathetic villain as you say because he only wants to have a werewolf companion of some type(though he does forcibly transform at least one person, perhaps two, so he is still a villain, and it’s uncertain how much involvement he has with the actual killings along with Von Sant besides simply not taking action to stop them and turning Von Sant in the first place).

Good review.  It’s mostly fair, to me GK2 is very good, but doesn’t quite reach greatness due to a lot of the issues you pointed out.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

HitBattousai - 24 October 2013 06:40 PM

He is a fairly sympathetic villain as you say because he only wants to have a werewolf companion of some type

A mass murderer wants a companion and that makes him sympathetic? Jane Jensen portrays Von Glower as a tragic figure and does that very well, but that’s not the same thing. I felt touched by the face of the young Von Glower through the flames at the intro of the game and of course the player remembers that image at the very end when we watch the face of the old Von Glower burn in the furnace. Sympathetic? He plotted Ludwig’s downfall, he used everyone and everything for his own ends, including Gabriel.

(though he does forcibly transform at least one person, perhaps two,

He turned Ludwig and Von Zell, and would have turned Gabriel if Von Zell hadn’t done it for him.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Karlok - 24 October 2013 07:51 PM
HitBattousai - 24 October 2013 06:40 PM

He is a fairly sympathetic villain as you say because he only wants to have a werewolf companion of some type

A mass murderer wants a companion and that makes him sympathetic? Jane Jensen portrays Von Glower as a tragic figure and does that very well, but that’s not the same thing. I felt touched by the face of the young Von Glower through the flames at the intro of the game and of course the player remembers that image at the very end when we watch the face of the old Von Glower burn in the furnace. Sympathetic? He plotted Ludwig’s downfall, he used everyone and everything for his own ends, including Gabriel.

(though he does forcibly transform at least one person, perhaps two,

He turned Ludwig and Von Zell, and would have turned Gabriel if Von Zell hadn’t done it for him.

See, now I didn’t get that impression of Von Glower at all.  Manipulative—maybe, but not a violent mass murderer (at least, not for many decades.)  It is strongly implied that Von Zell was the actual killer for all of the different murders Gabriel was investigating.  And I didn’t get the impression that Von Glower was going to force a transformation against the person’s will either.  Remember, he lamented Gabriel being bitten by Von Zell, even going so far as to say something along the lines of it not being how he would have wanted it to happen, and not that soon.  I got the impression that Von Glower was legitimately befriending Gabriel (and that he had also befriended Von Zell) and that the transformation of Von Zell was something that was done openly and with Von Zell’s permission.  Von Glower’s letter (and his actions throughout the game) seemed to imply that his search for companionship was one wherein he was legitimately seeking to get close to the person, and then to reveal his true nature at the appointed time and give the person a choice.  At the very least, it’s left ambiguous as to whether or not his transformation of Von Zell was against his will or not.  Von Zell became violent and unhinged because he wasn’t able to control his animal urges, which also affected his personality, something the werewolf book told you often happened with “young” werewolves.  Von Glower mentions being “disappointed” in Von Zell, and seems genuinely upset at the murders that Von Zell committed.  Ultimately we don’t even learn whether or not Von Glower manipulated Ludwig, or whether those were the ravings of Ludwig’s maddened state.  It’s all left purposefully ambiguous.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Lambonius - 24 October 2013 08:21 PM

See, now I didn’t get that impression of Von Glower at all.  Manipulative—maybe, but not a violent mass murderer (at least, not for many decades.)

Tell me, what is it exactly that werewolves do. I seem to remember they KILL and EAT PEOPLE.

Tongue

It is strongly implied that [....] it’s all left purposefully ambiguous.

Wow, you’re actually defending a mass murderer because you’re under his spell! A great compliment for writer Jane Jensen. Would you feel the same sympathy for a pedophile grooming his target, which is exactly what Von Glower was doing with Gabriel?

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Yeah, but Von Glower is never directly indicted as having committed any of those kinds of acts in the game.  Certainly, the idea that he was a werewolf means that at some point he had given in to the animal instincts and killed people, but the game seems to be pretty purposeful in its attempts to paint him as a sympathetic and ultimately very wise immortal individual, who had mastered his instincts long ago and was only seeking companionship at this point.  I mean, look at the opera scene—Von Glower is frantically trying to FLEE the crowded opera house—I interpreted this not JUST as an attempt to avoid detection, but as an attempt to avoid violence against the other patrons.  I agree, it’s one of the great strengths of the story that I, as the player, DID feel conflicted about killing Von Glower in the end.  No arguments there.  Smile

I can’t possibly be alone in this reading of the character.  Come on, GK2 fanboys, what do you think?  Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top