• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Still Life cookies puzzle

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

I know how to solve it, I’ve just never know WHY. Has anybody ever figured out WHY the solution is the way it is? There’s no code or cipher that I can make out. Every time I’ve read the solution, it just gives it to you with no explanation.

The only way I figured it out in my recent replay was because my girlfriend played with me and knows baking so she just knew how from the recipe what the ingredients probably were Meh

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I solved it the same way your GF did - you should figure out you don’t really need a kilo of salt, for instance, so that’s probably flour. You have to know a bit about baking to get a ballpark figure for what could be what, and then I vaguely remember there were some subtle hints in the names themselves.
But yeah, it’s a fairly lousy puzzle and it makes no sense in the context.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

It’s as infamous as the GK3 moustache puzzle. I always had hard time figuring out which way a couple of ingredients went, the rest were very deductable.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I actually thought it was the highlight of the game (i’m not as enamoured with Still Life as many here are). It was clever and was fun to figure out, and made sense.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Oscar - 23 October 2013 02:51 AM

I actually thought it was the highlight of the game (i’m not as enamoured with Still Life as many here are). It was clever and was fun to figure out, and made sense.

How did it make sense? That’s what I asked!  Pan

I really want to know the logic behind it, I feel like I’m missing a cipher.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

It doesn’t matter if it was logical or made any sense. It felt completely out of the game and it’s atmosphere. Worrying how to make cookies is the last thing you’d do when you have all these murders knocking on your door.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Why are you telling the OP what’s important to them?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

RockNFknRoll - 23 October 2013 02:56 AM
Oscar - 23 October 2013 02:51 AM

How did it make sense? That’s what I asked!  Pan

I really want to know the logic behind it, I feel like I’m missing a cipher.

Well, it was a cipher. Take a look at this document, it takes you through the process of working the puzzle out: http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/hints/still-life/1123.php

Let us know if you still can’t figure it out.

badlemon - 23 October 2013 03:48 AM

It doesn’t matter if it was logical or made any sense. It felt completely out of the game and it’s atmosphere. Worrying how to make cookies is the last thing you’d do when you have all these murders knocking on your door.

That’s probably true, although I’ve never been a detective so I wouldn’t know. From what I remember it’s only the second day so it’s not that serious yet, and after all, it’s only her job. For me it showed a different and more personal side to Victoria.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 23 October 2013 05:10 AM
badlemon - 23 October 2013 03:48 AM

That’s probably true, although I’ve never been a detective so I wouldn’t know. From what I remember it’s only the second day so it’s not that serious yet, and after all, it’s only her job. For me it showed a different and more personal side to Victoria.

I always though of it as baking cookies was her way to unwind, to take her mind of the case and do something else, after all even detectives have to have a life outside of their job.

But I agree that it felt completely out of place in the game, kind of like in the Police Quest games where you had to do all sort of things to follow the regulations, it might make it more realistic, but that doesn’t mean that it will work well in a game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I don’t care that it’s out of place. Most of the other puzzles are boring so they probably put it there to make the game more exciting.

Yeah, baking cookies more exciting than solving murders… you can probably tell I didn’t much like the game.  Meh

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 23 October 2013 02:54 PM

I don’t care that it’s out of place. Most of the other puzzles are boring so they probably put it there to make the game more exciting.

Somehow I doubt that that was their intention, though it might have been the consequence Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Whatever the intention, when the most detective-like puzzle in a detective game is about baking cookies, it’s not a good sign… Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top