• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Where are all the 2013 1st person exploration adventures?

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Okay I know there are a lot planned such as Journeyman Project, Witness, Bracken Tor, but that doesn’t mean much to me right now.

So far I can count the number of releases in 2013 on one hand. There was the new Carol Reed and ASA: A Space Adventure way back in February, and then basically nothing. What’s going on?

I personally found the post-2000 era great for solid, high quality 1st person exploration adventures. The last few years in particular were great. Which makes it all the more disappointing when the review page is a long stream of 3rd person games.  Cry

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

But at least their is more to come.
Don’t forget about the upcoming kickstarter for Obduction by Cyan

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

SpeedBo - 17 October 2013 07:49 AM

But at least their is more to come.
Don’t forget about the upcoming kickstarter for Obduction by Cyan

That’s what they said last year. I’d like to know what happened because next year when I ask the same thing about the missing 2014 adventures you’ll be telling me “at least there is more to come”.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Xing was also expected to be released in the end of 2013 (one of the titles that I’m really enthusiastic with).
But I wouldn’t worry if I were you Zifnab. We all know that Christmas is the time of the year when the majority of the games are released…

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Zifnab - 16 October 2013 10:42 PM

So far I can count the number of releases in 2013 on one hand. There was the new Carol Reed and ASA: A Space Adventure way back in February, and then basically nothing. What’s going on?

Kairo
Gone Home

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Outlast
Amnesia Machine For Pigs
The Stanely Parable
Eleusis
Day One: Garry’s Incident
Doorways: Chapter 1 & 2
Magrunner: Dark Pulse
Anna: Extended Edition

I say we had more First Person Exploration Adventures than any other time, especially for real-time 3D environments.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

I’m relieved they’ve died down a bit - they seemed to make up far too much of the market back in the ‘lean years’ of the 2000s.  Finally 3rd person fans like me have got some recent releases to choose from Grin

Gone Home’s the first time I’ve enjoyed a first-person adventure game since Overseer.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

OneFlesh - 17 October 2013 04:18 PM

I’m relieved they’ve died down a bit - they seemed to make up far too much of the market back in the ‘lean years’ of the 2000s.

I know it’s just a quirk of your wording and you presumably didn’t actually mean this in this way . . . but I feel we shouldn’t say we want fewer of the games that other people like, only that we want more of the ones that we like. Wink

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Monolith - 17 October 2013 12:36 PM

Outlast
Amnesia Machine For Pigs
The Stanely Parable
Eleusis
Day One: Garry’s Incident
Doorways: Chapter 1 & 2
Magrunner: Dark Pulse
Anna: Extended Edition

I say we had more First Person Exploration Adventures than any other time, especially for real-time 3D environments.

Okay I’ve played Eleusis and Amnesia 2. I wouldn’t call either of them exploration games in the vein of Myst, they were most linear “go from A to B” games. They also weren’t very good. Anna was total rubbish, and so buggy I didn’t finish.

I’ll take a look at the other games, but just to note I need quality too. When you compare 2013 to what we were getting before, it’s obvious the quality just isn’t there, nor the quantity. Hell I’d be happy for just one title for the year on the level of Zork Nemesis or Overseer, or Barrow Hill.

I’m relieved they’ve died down a bit - they seemed to make up far too much of the market back in the ‘lean years’ of the 2000s.  Finally 3rd person fans like me have got some recent releases to choose from Grin

Gone Home’s the first time I’ve enjoyed a first-person adventure game since Overseer.

You can’t be serious. There were plenty of classics in the last 15 years better than Gone Home. Maybe you haven’t dug deep enough.

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

Zifnab - 17 October 2013 11:17 PM

You can’t be serious. There were plenty of classics in the last 15 years better than Gone Home. Maybe you haven’t dug deep enough.

Maybe you could give some examples instead of just dissing my taste in games? :p I’ve played some alleged modern classics like the Boakes games and found them empty and tedious; there may have been some good ones at slipped through the cracks though.

Caliburn - 17 October 2013 06:14 PM

I know it’s just a quirk of your wording and you presumably didn’t actually mean this in this way . . . but I feel we shouldn’t say we want fewer of the games that other people like, only that we want more of the ones that we like. Wink

No, I was just an evil spiteful person who wants everyone else’s enjoyment ruined mwahahahah Grin

Seriously though, I think it’s a good time for fans of both types of games in a much more equitable way than the days when almost all 3rd person games were horribly translated German games. 1st person games seem a lot less niche thanks to improved environments and less reliance on 7th Guest/Myst puzzling.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top