• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Valiant Hearts

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Great theme and sick art

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/10/4711654/valiant-hearts-the-great-war-tells-the-story-of-human-beings-during

Ubisoft Montpellier’s Valiant Hearts: The Great War is a 2D puzzle adventure game that set during World War I, but it’s not a war game, according to audio director Yoan Fanise. “It’s a game about war,” he told Polygon. “About humans during war.”

The game uses a comic book art style, all hand-drawn by art director Paul Tumelaire, to tell the story of five characters of different nationalities during WWI who are all somehow connected. There’s the French prisoner of war who peels potatoes in a German camp. There’s the American volunteer. There’s the Belgian nurse. There’s the English pilot. And there’s the German soldier, who is in love with the Frenchman’s daughter.

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

It does look very interesting and artistically nice! I read/watch Gamespot and Eurogamer news, interviews, trailers and gameplay. While Gamespot throws air a genre markings like “Action” and “2D Platformer”, it seems they are misguided (which is becoming their staple). As Ubisoft’s Adrian Lacey tells and shows, its “2D puzzle adventure”. Also, that shows a bit:

Valiant Hearts: The Great War is already one of my most waited game of 2014. Smile I only hope that the PC version gets decent mouse-keyboard controls, as the other platforms - PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One - may mean the game ends up as a shoddy port.

I believe AG should list this game. Smile

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_valiant_hearts_the_great_war_come_back_trailer-32045_en.html

This game should be added to hypeometer, have Indie goty potential from the looks of it.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

lewuz - 16 September 2013 06:01 AM

I believe AG should list this game. Smile

We already did, way back last October. Wink

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Adv Goty contender

Gameplay trailer

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Only found out about this about about a week ago. Looks really interesting with a good mix. Definitely one to watch.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Played it, clocked it, it’s really good! It’s a mixture of arcadey mini-games and puzzles involving levers and turning wheels with an appropriate amount of challenge for a four hour game. The story is fairly straight forward with characters chasing after a smarmy baron until more somber moments in the final chapter.

The game bounces around important events during the war and I was impressed with how Ubisoft weaved those key moments through the narrative. The experience is not entirely seamless though. I think the fail states adversely affect the pacing and perhaps it would have been better if the characters were able to take control when the player screwed up like stopping short before walking straight into chlorine gas. In a game heavily focused on emotion and trying to hit home the fragility of life, stopping and starting after each death can really kill the mood.

Visuals and audio are great and parallax scrolling is really put to good use here. It’s another great game made on the UbiArt engine.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

It was indeed really good. Fun puzzles with well integraded action and stealth sequences. The characters are gripping with their diaries/letters and it’s a really nice touch that you get historical facts for the extra objects you pick up which is connected to the current environment or character/story.

I definitely wouldn’t mind a new Indiana Jones game made similar to this one.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

How strange, a war game that makes you feel all queasy inside instead of a superhero. Very good game!

Henke - 29 June 2014 08:35 AM

I definitely wouldn’t mind a new Indiana Jones game made similar to this one.

Very cool idea. Thumbs Up
At least I hope Ubi keeps doing games in the same style

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Reassuring for Prince of Persia UbiArt game.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I just started to play this game and I’m enjoying it very much. Great game so far. And I believe this game should be listed/reviewed by AdventureGamers.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

A review is coming! Smile

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I finished the game yesterday. I really didn’t expect it to be that good. The graphics and sound are of the greatest quality (I’m a 2d fan anyway. And loved the classical music in the car races. I even recognized many of the pieces), the puzzles were smart and well done within the game’s experience. There were some minor action elements and some timed sequences, but in my surprise they were perfectly executed and didn’t bother me a bit. Mind you, that was a first. The game’s greatest plus is the excellent mixture of serious content, humorous moments and touching situations, being a very moving experience. As war should be. Finally, the game gives an opportunity to educate the player with many of the WW1 details that IMO were really interesting to read about.

Best game of 2014 for me up to now.
Heavily recommended.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Sefir - 14 July 2014 08:15 AM

I finished the game yesterday. I really didn’t expect it to be that good. The graphics and sound are of the greatest quality (I’m a 2d fan anyway. And loved the classical music in the car races. I even recognized many of the pieces), the puzzles were smart and well done within the game’s experience. There were some minor action elements and some timed sequences, but in my surprise they were perfectly executed and didn’t bother me a bit. Mind you, that was a first. The game’s greatest plus is the excellent mixture of serious content, humorous moments and touching situations, being a very moving experience. As war should be. Finally, the game gives an opportunity to educate the player with many of the WW1 details that IMO were really interesting to read about.

Heavily recommended.

Fun levels, they reminded of the Rayman Legends musical levels, level design based on music with rythmn-based gameplay.One of the great ways this game changes it’s pacing and mood.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Really want to play this, but I’ve got a ridiculous amount of games I want to play. Rayman Origins, legends, the witcher series…

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tad - 14 July 2014 03:48 PM

Really want to play this, but I’ve got a ridiculous amount of games I want to play. Rayman Origins, legends, the witcher series…

The game is about 6h with excellent pacing, it doesn’t need a lot of investment and it’s well worth it. I say go for it Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top