• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your Favorite Handheld Adventure Game

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Just for fun, post your favorite handheld adventure game. To qualify, must be a dedicated handheld gaming system you can hold in your hands while playing.

Examples include PS VITA, Nintendo DS, etc.

My favorite right now is “The Walking Dead” on my PS VITA. It is simply an amazing experience due to the touch screen interface.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Corpse Party is awesome. Probably the best adventure I’ve played on a handheld so far. The sequel is also great, but the first one is just a tad better.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

for me, im going to count only games that originated on a handheld.
I think its a tie between the first phoenix wright and dangan ronpa. Dangan ronpa has the more intense story and creepy atmosphere. It also has nice exploration and a neat social link system. Phoenix wright has the better puzzle logic and is the overall better court sim. Dangan ronpa might edge it out if they improved the weird rhythm battle segments.

honorable mentions: corpse party, ghost trick, last window.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney - no contest.

When adventure games for PC were relatively scarce (although I admit I wasn’t really looking all that hard), that’s the game that kinda cemented the idea for me that adventure games had “switched” to the DS. Hotel Dusk opened the door for me, and Phoenix Wright just pushed roundhouse-kicked me through it.
I’m skimpy with my 5-star ratings, and the first Phoenix Wright game is the only non-PC adventure game to have ever received 5 stars from me. It took me by surprise, and it made me laugh my ass off as well as fall in love with its characters.
When I read the thread title, this was like the easiest question ever for me… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

This is SO true. In 2010 - I could not find a PC game at retail - adventure or not.

I did find them now - VIVA Media published a bunch of adventure games for the PC 2010-2012- according to half-price books they were shipped to retail who didn’t want them and so the publishers sent them to half-price books.

I got a huge box of them for $1.99 - $6.99 each.

I did the same thing - Nintendo DS! And a huge selection of 5 star adventure games it has - Hotel Dusk and The Last Window to name just a few.

I have 80 Nintendo DS adventure games and they all play like a dream:

My 2007 adventure game of the year - Hotel Dusk (DS)

My 2009 adventure game of the year - Thersia Dear Emily (DS)

My 2010 adventure game of the year - Again (DS)

My 2011 adventure game of the year - The Last Window (DS)

My 2012 adventure game of the year - Another Code (DS)

You can pick up a Dsi XL for around $99 dollars and be in adventure game heaven for years.

I myself count ports - “Last King of Africa” was amazing on the DS - loved that game. Paradise on the PC - not so much.

Heart

PS - AA5 will rock on the ipad - can’t wait!

Heart Eyes

PPS:

Corpse Party 1 and 2 - loved them both on the VITA—I actually liked 2 better myself.

I hear we’ll be getting Corpse Party: Bloodlines early next year!

Cool

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Depends a little on what you define as an adventure game.  If we’re counting it, I’d say Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective for DS is up there.  If not that, then I think I’d swing Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Resort for 3DS/Vita.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’m gonna go with the first Phoenix Wright, absolutely blew me away at the time, so different from everything I used to play.
After that probably the 3rd Phoenix, Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward and ghost trick.
DanganRonpa and Professor Layton also deserve to be recognized.

The mentions of Corpse Party remind me that I need to play it!

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2013-08-29

PM

I’m still getting through the Phoenix Wright games (play a little each night), and yes they are a ton of fun.

But I’ll take 999 over them; I’m not sure whether Zero Escape is superior in my book - at least 999 didn’t hit me with a game-breaking corrupted save file about 40 hours in and after getting through almost every plotline.

“Drinking rum before 10 a.m. makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic!”

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

HitBattousai - 09 September 2013 06:36 AM

If we’re counting it, I’d say Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective for DS is up there.

It most definitely counts!

wilco - 09 September 2013 11:00 AM

I’m gonna go with the first Phoenix Wright, absolutely blew me away at the time, so different from everything I used to play.
After that probably the 3rd Phoenix, Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward and ghost trick.

My next favourites after the first Phoenix Wrigh: Ace Attorney would be 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, the 3rd Phoenix Wright game (Trials and Tribulations) and Time Hollow.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

Nothing tops Hotel Dusk or The Last Window.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Amazingly, in Europe they converted many PC games to the DS and they played quite well.

“Runaway 3 - A Twist of Fate” was very good.

For those who like games that were really different:

Flower, Sun and Rain was a good choice:

Image Attachments

fsr.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 09 September 2013 04:36 PM

My next favourites after the first Phoenix Wrigh: Ace Attorney would be 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, the 3rd Phoenix Wright game (Trials and Tribulations) and Time Hollow.

Time Hollow, you say? Completely missed it, I now have to go on DS game hunting Smile

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Time Hollow is excellent, though it’s not super-interactive as a visual novel type.  Story and art is top notch.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Time Hallow - I actually played this game several times. One of the first adventure games to take full advantage of the DS touch screen.

The story was excellent too - a must play adventure game that has gotten some well earned awards in it’s day:

Image Attachments

timehollow.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2013-04-25

PM

Hm that is a toughy, there are just so many quality DS adventure games for me.  I guess if I had to pick it based on gameplay I’d pick Last Window, while best story I’d go with Phoenix Wright #3 (with build-up from first 2).  I should get my hands on Trace Memory, Ghost Trick and Time Hollow to see if that may change Smile

Games Played: Ace Attorney (PW 1-3, Apollo Justice, Miles Investigation), Hotel Dusk and Last Window, Professor Layton (Curious Village, Diabolical Box, Unwound Future, Lost Specter), 999 and Zero Escape, Walking Dead S1-2, Trace Memory, Area-X, Time Hollow, Ghost Trick, Indian Jones FoA   Currently Playing: Portal 2, PL - Miracle Mask, Dangan Ronpa

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Mikekelly - 09 September 2013 07:44 PM

Amazingly, in Europe they converted many PC games to the DS and they played quite well.

MYST for the DS was a complete disaster, though. Confused

Flower, Sun and Rain was a good choice:

I didn’t care much for Flower, Sun and Rain. The Groundhog Day-style repeating elements were hilarious at first (as was the constant running around), but it got tedious after a while, and the story just got more and more bizarre and weird as it went along. Not my cup of tea.

wilco - 09 September 2013 07:47 PM

Time Hollow, you say? Completely missed it, I now have to go on DS game hunting Smile

Don’t blame me, I talked about it enough. Innocent

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top