• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Semi-adventure games

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Lambonius - 02 September 2013 12:54 AM

I take issue with the thread title.  “Semi” implies “half,” or an incomplete or lesser game.  The hybrids that have been discussed would be better referred to with a label like “adventure game plus,” or something.  Wink

Is there a difference? Both 0.5 + 0.5 and 1+1 give the same ratio of 50% for each component.

Alone in the Dark could be called a semi-adventure game. Take your typical adventure game, Syberia or Grim Fandango, and throw in zombies to fight off every 30 seconds and you’ve got it. In fact I’m not sure how it made it into the site’s index when all the others mentioned here didn’t.

Neuromancer was pretty good hybrid of… I don’t know what. It had bits of everything.

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Well, there’s a whole genre dedicated to ‘semi-adventure games’ - action-adventures. I’m just going to mention some of the popular game series here - most games in each series have at least some focus on puzzles and story, but if you find some of the games interesting, you should probably check a few reviews etc, since some series have changed over time:

Zelda
Tomb Raider
Silent Hill
Uncharted
Prince of Persia
Alone in the Dark
Resident Evil
Metroid
Assassin’s Creed
System Shock

And a few non-serialized games:

ICO
Beyond Good & Evil
Remember Me

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

Doom - 02 September 2013 01:24 AM

I recommend Omikron: The Nomad Soul by Quantic Dream. It’s a 3D open world adventure with random RPG, FPS and fighting elements. The sci-fi/cyberpunk universe is absolutely fantastic.

Currently on sale, definitely worth the $4.

Caliburn - 02 September 2013 01:24 AM
Gonchi - 01 September 2013 10:39 PM

Also, check out the upcoming Heroine’s Quest

Oh, hey, somehow this had slipped under my radar in the batch of upcoming QfG-inspired games or I would have mentioned it in my comment here. Assuming I’m not the only one who didn’t know this existed, thanks for bringing it to my and others’ attention. This looks rather promising in its trailer and voice preview. It seems QfG fans will have a bounty of games to check out!

You’re welcome. Heroine’s Quest did pop up in discussion earlier last month when the voices trailer was released, but I agree, the game does have a somewhat lower profile compared to QfI and Mage’s, which I guess can be explained with both games having been on Kickstarter recently and also with AGDi and IA having drawn in Sierra fans with their remakes. On the other hand Crystal Shard’s A Tale of Two Kingdoms was well received and got a lot of attention, so I don’t really know.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

New Shadowrun Returns is closest thing to PlanescapeTorment, verywell written
game, first few hours are just AG murder investigation and tutorial
fights. Infact some complained that its straight up AG game, since fights can
be really easy for veterans.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

Thanks for the recommendations!

I just bought Fallout 1 and started it, since I’ve never played it before.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I bought several HOG games and a Nancy Drew game at Target - 4 for $19.95 in the clearance bin. The Nancy Drew - “Treasure in the Royal Tower” was alone worth $19.95 and was actually quite enjoyable.

The HOGs were much better than I thought they would be and even had a few very good puzzles in each:

Youda: Search for the Amsterdam Diamond

Natalie Brooks - Secrets of Treasure House

The Stolen Venus

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top