• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New here and absolutely stoked to see the adventure genre getting such love these days

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Welcome Savatage79! Smile Great to hear your positivity. I have also been playing adventure games since the early 90’s, but I also quite recently got more involved in the adventure game community the last 1.5 years. It’s really fun.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The main thing I’ve seen in adventure games is change. Publishers come and go and so do platforms (Infocom, Commodore, etc).

Years to come we may see today seen as “The Golden Era” of adventure games - “Beyond: Two Souls” will sell millions of copies and so did “The Walking Dead.”

Just for fun here is my list of platforms since 1986 and my Fave adventure game on each:

C128 - Trinity

Amiga 500 - Darkseed

3DO - Snowjob

PSX - Riven

Nintendo DS - The Last Window

PC - The Longest Journey

PS VITA - The Walking Dead

The best thing about adventure games is that the old ones are so much fun to play - just when North America stopped being the center of adventure game development along came Funcom with “The Longest Journey” - as good an adventure game as you could want. This game spent an amazing 9 years on retail shelves in the USA - the longest of any PC game released in 2000 that I know of. 

In the future I’m sure the PC will still get great adventure game releases and maybe the PS4.

For now, the PC and VITA are holding down the fort just fine.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2013-07-11

PM

Hello, I’d also like to welcome you Mr. Savatage79 - even though I’m kind of a oldie/newbie myself.  Your enthusiasm is very inspiring.

Just as a side note.  I played my 1st adventure game about 9 months ago.  I think
there are millions of people who have no idea these types of games exist. I’m
sure they would love them if they tried 1 or 2 of them.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Welcome to the site, haroldw. Which was the game to pop the adventure cherry?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Another classic added to GOG

http://www.gog.com/game/i_have_no_mouth_and_i_must_scream

Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 05 September 2013 01:16 AM

Welcome to the site, haroldw. Which was the game to pop the adventure cherry?

Likewise, welcome, haroldw. And I’d be interested in the story of your first adventure game as well…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2013-07-11

PM

Thanks for the hardy welcome Kasper Nielsen and TimovieMan. 
I would have to say 2 games brought me into the fold: 

Rosemary (MIT labs) - for me this one was built using emotions as data structures.

and Monster Detective - for me the characters pose for movement,
  but there is this odd restriction of movement which builds suspense.
  Why can’t they just, move ??

I’m an old timer - so I probably analize them when I should just enjoy them.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top