• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielLittleRoseskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kickstarter fatigue?

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

TimovieMan - 28 August 2013 05:16 PM

You’ve been klarflogoned, methinks… Grin

klarflogon: The only word to ever become a homonym after being used merely twice in conversation between people. Grin

fov - 28 August 2013 05:24 PM

*ahem*

Back on topic? Smile

Don’t let me stand in the way! Smile

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

TimovieMan - 28 August 2013 02:47 PM
ozzie - 28 August 2013 02:12 PM

It is for me! Tongue And it will be for everyone if everyone starts using it. Wink

Everyone already uses it. It’s been a controversy for over 200 years, and most dictionaries DO contain the word (but mention that it’s either ‘nonstandard’ or ‘incorrect’). Smile
Informal internet slang dictates it’s perfectly ok to use it… Cool

Is it really…? The problem with it is that “irregardless” is supposed to mean the exact same thing as “regardless” making it completely redundant, while the negating prefix suggests that whoever uses the word has no bloody idea whatsoever what “regardless” does in fact already mean on its own. So yeah - by all means, feel free… All you do is validate that old Abraham Lincoln quote “better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt”.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

tomimt - 25 August 2013 01:26 PM

The failures of the Precinct and the Vampyre Story were direct results from unappealing campaigns than anything else.

^This. I’m backing stuff on KS from before the whole DoubleFine thing, and I’m still more than happy to back anything I like - yet I did indeed skip both those titles, for the very reasons cited. Well, to be precise, I found the pitched concepts themselves unappealing. Vampyre Story’s vampire-based plot rooted in a 19th century-styled aristocratic setting just doesn’t do much for me. Same with the apparently first-person-styled police procedural Precinct - I’m not big on procedurals of any kind, police or otherwise, what I like are adventure games with a plot as epic and original as possible. Neither of the two games were going in that direction - I skipped. And while being an industry veteran certainly gets you some credit with me, I’m more than happy to back the first game with a strong vision that I happen to like: nostalgia has nothing to do with this, as far as I’m concerned… Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Porcupine - 28 August 2013 06:50 PM

Is it really…? The problem with it is that “irregardless” is supposed to mean the exact same thing as “regardless” making it completely redundant, while the negating prefix suggests that whoever uses the word has no bloody idea whatsoever what “regardless” does in fact already mean on its own. So yeah - by all means, feel free… All you do is validate that old Abraham Lincoln quote “better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt”.

But given the fact that many native English speakers use the word regardless (pun intended), you can’t really blame any non-native English speakers to pick it up and use it as well.
Blame Hollywood and the internet, imo. Tongue

Porcupine - 28 August 2013 07:06 PM

nostalgia has nothing to do with this, as far as I’m concerned… Smile

I agree. The nostalgia card for Kickstarter expired almost a year ago.

We had a good thread here about how Kickstarter is actually going from fatigue to establishment. And a good analogy was made with the “hype cycle” in this Kickstarter thread (but originated in the Moebius thread). The hype cycle analogy is more than correct, imo.

Basically, Double Fine brought Kickstarter to the peak in the cycle, and the many delayed projects, LSL:R’s mediocre reception and especially Double Fine’s budget problems have put Kickstarter in the trough.

We’re past the point where campaigns with half-developed concepts and no plan could generate tons of cash with big names.
The nostalgia card is now worn out, and if you want your campaign to be successful now, you need to have a good concept, a reasonable goal, a decent pitch, and give as much info as you possibly can (maybe even provide a demo or at least something feasable) to show that it’s not just a good idea that you had, but that you can also deliver a finished product. And you need to listen to the feedback you get and act on it.

As much as people want to see a police procedural adventure game, Precinct failed on a lot of points (goal too high, vague concept, an inability to listen and respond to feedback, etc.), so it didn’t get funded. AVS had the disadvantage of wanting to make the wrong game (nobody was interested in a prequel when the main story was only halfway - AVS2 would have gotten a lot more than AVS0).

My point is, now that Kickstarter has been a big thing for over a year, the backers have gotten experienced as to what works and what doesn’t, and the devs that want to see their campaign succeed really need to do their homework and put good efforts in their entire pitch (communication is key).
We’re approaching a good equilibrium, imo.

Now all we need is a few of the high-profile campaigns (Tex, Broken Sword, Double Fine, Dreamfall, Moebius) to deliver and get good press, and Kickstarter will be on that “Plateau of Productivity” and can then be truly called an establishment…

Note that I’m mostly talking about adventure game Kickstarter campaigns here, I’m not following other genres as much, so it might be different for those campaigns. I mean, a lot of indie film directors seem to have turned to Kickstarter lately, and I’m not sure their backers are as savvy as the adventure game backers are now…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 29 August 2013 12:50 PM

Now all we need is a few of the high-profile campaigns (Tex, Broken Sword, Double Fine, Dreamfall, Moebius) to deliver and get good press, and Kickstarter will be on that “Plateau of Productivity” and can then be truly called an establishment…

True, but not just because of the good press etc.
I think there is a lot of people that have backed a lot of games, and they haven’t really gotten much for their investment yet. To keep on backing more and more games without seeing any results of the previous investments is hard. Once there is a steady trickle of kickstarter games being released, then I think people will also be more willing to back new projects.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1894

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Agustín Cordes - 28 August 2013 09:57 AM

Here’s your Kickstarter fatigue: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/infinitap/neverending-nightmares

They will undoubtedly hit their goal, perhaps even surpass it by a wide margin. Again, it’s all about presentation and communication—just compare that campaign to others. It also helps that the game is looking deliciously terrifying!

i dunno. About half their money right now comes from 22 backers.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Iznogood - 29 August 2013 02:05 PM

I think there is a lot of people that have backed a lot of games, and they haven’t really gotten much for their investment yet. To keep on backing more and more games without seeing any results of the previous investments is hard. Once there is a steady trickle of kickstarter games being released, then I think people will also be more willing to back new projects.

I think that’s absolutely right. There’s a limit to the amount of adventure games I am able to play due to time constraints and at the moment, only 1 of the games I backed (Congition) has been released and even then, not the 4th part yet. Another 6 (plus 3 semi/non-adventures) are due for release at various times in 2013 & 2014. That’s no criticism, game development takes time & delays are the norm. It does mean however, that I don’t have a lot of need/interest in backing something new & so it would have to be something really special to get me to do so.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

I keep reading posts about DoubleFine having budget problems and being over budget and stuff. These guys raised millions. I just did a quick google search for articles, and read one article claiming that if they made the game only with their Kickstarter funds they would have to cut the project down by 75 percent.

What happened that they raised so much, and are having such financial problems?

I think Broken Sword 5 and Tex Murphy are the gold standard in crowd funding - truly great, full length, AAA quality games, for reasonable amounts of money? Comparing Broken Age to these two, I don’t understand what their problem is.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Toefur - 30 August 2013 11:15 AM

I keep reading posts about DoubleFine having budget problems and being over budget and stuff. These guys raised millions. I just did a quick google search for articles, and read one article claiming that if they made the game only with their Kickstarter funds they would have to cut the project down by 75 percent.

What happened that they raised so much, and are having such financial problems?

Short version: they designed far too much game, and somehow it took them a year after starting production to realize that, which made it difficult to alter the scope of the game.

I think Broken Sword 5 and Tex Murphy are the gold standard in crowd funding - truly great, full length, AAA quality games, for reasonable amounts of money?

I’d wait until I’ve actually played those before dubbing them the gold standard in anything. They may look promising at this point, but then again so did lots of games that ended up being complete turds (or at least vastly inferior to the expectations they’d built).

I think it’s really too early to say which Kickstarter projects were successful and which weren’t. Give it another six months, or possibly a year.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 30 August 2013 11:30 AM

I’d wait until I’ve actually played those before dubbing them the gold standard in anything. They may look promising at this point, but then again so did lots of games that ended up being complete turds (or at least vastly inferior to the expectations they’d built).

I think it’s really too early to say which Kickstarter projects were successful and which weren’t. Give it another six months, or possibly a year.

Agree with you in general Kurufinwe, especially if all a person’s going by is a trailer or two. However I think it’s reasonable to be pretty positive about Moebius. They’ve already released Alpha demos to backers of the early chapters and therefore as long as you like what they show, it’s unlikely you’ll find the end result to be a “complete turd”  Wink . Now, if you think the alphas are “complete turds” then I guess yu’ve got something to worry about. However, whilst they might not be perfect, I don’t think anyone’s gone that far.

Hence I don’t understand how JJ & Moebius gets thrown into general criticism about Kickstarters.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

DaveyB - 30 August 2013 11:52 AM

Hence I don’t understand how JJ & Moebius gets thrown into general criticism about Kickstarters.

The MGX debacle, mostly.

Plus it’s the internet - haters gonna hate. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

for me, it blows my mind to imagine what it would be like if phoenix hadnt swooped in and saved them. Signus evaporated out of the picture. So JJ falls under the same criticisms because their plan just wasnt very good. Things might work out anyway. (its not looking good for mgx)

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I don’t think Signus ever really had a hand in what they were doing; it was just something the internet latched on to because they were doing that children’s game for Jane.

People, it’s not like they klarflogoned all the money and buggered off. But, like Tim said - it’s the internet.  You get the barest amount of info, and then you hate from there!

Bt

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Blackthorne - 30 August 2013 06:22 PM

I don’t think Signus ever really had a hand in what they were doing; it was just something the internet latched on to because they were doing that children’s game for Jane.

lol what. The kickstarter introduced signus as the developer. Signus even talked on a youtube update about how excited they were to be working on a traditional adventure.
I guess the alternative is that they didnt have a clear plan on who was developing it until months after the kickstarter ended. Not really much better.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Agree with you in general Kurufinwe, especially if all a person’s going by is a trailer or two. However I think it’s reasonable to be pretty positive about Moebius. They’ve already released Alpha demos to backers of the early chapters and therefore as long as you like what they show, it’s unlikely you’ll find the end result to be a “complete turd”  Wink . Now, if you think the alphas are “complete turds” then I guess yu’ve got something to worry about. However, whilst they might not be perfect, I don’t think anyone’s gone that far.

I was definitely referring specifically to Tex and BS5, which have only shown very little, rather than to Moebius. At this point, based on the beta of the first 2 chapters, I’d say Moebius could go either way. What we’ve seen so far is neither awful nor mind-blowing; there’s some promising stuff, and some stuff that doesn’t work. How the whole thing gets polished (and what comes in the following chapters, obviously) will matter make or break the game.

zane - 30 August 2013 06:34 PM

lol what. The kickstarter introduced signus as the developer. Signus even talked on a youtube update about how excited they were to be working on a traditional adventure.
I guess the alternative is that they didnt have a clear plan on who was developing it until months after the kickstarter ended. Not really much better.

I spent a couple of minutes looking for this post from Cesar Bittar which addressed your concerns, but then I realized that it was in this exact thread, and that it was originally made in reply to you, so you’ve probably already read it and I don’t know what more to say.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top