• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recommend a 1st Person Adventure Please

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2006-01-27

PM

First of all thanks for such a great site and forum.

I’m looking for a good 1st Person Adventure game with clever inventory puzzles (not the Myst-type puzzles). I prefer puzzles based on using and combining inventory items. I’m also not interested in hidden object games as I find most of the inventory puzzles in these are too straight forward.

I’ve played Amerzone, Blackstone, and Lost in Time (favorite).

Thank y’all very much.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

The X-files FMV game is one of my favorites, you don’t need to have much knowledge of the show since I’ve never really watched it but still enjoyed the game.

There’s also an old game called Normality, feels like it’s on like a Doom Engine or something. It’s really fun if you can get past the super dated graphics. I think it was meant to be based on Nineteen Eighty-four or something.

Joined 2006-01-27

PM

Thanks. Couldn’t get into Normality really. I’ll have to check out X-files, but that always seemed more investigative than Macgyver-like as far as puzzles go.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Interesting, I haven’t seen many people whose favourite game was Lost in Time. Here are 3 I think you may like.

Journeyman Project 3: Don’t worry that you haven’t played the first 2, they are all stand-alone. Interesting time travel plot.

Anacapri: The Dream: More time-travelling. Or more accurately, dream-travelling. Very long, one of my favourite game plots ever and a huge quantity of items to use.

Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon: My favourite Legend game (developers of Blackstone). All inventory puzzles. And yes, more time-travelling.

Joined 2006-01-27

PM

Forgot about Callahan’s. I did play this a LONG time ago and you’re right. It was amazing.

I just really like the style of puzzles in Lost in Time, though the game does have its issues/cheesiness.

Might have to check out Journeyman 3.

Thanks.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Anything by Kheops Studio (except the casual Fall Trilogy) would fit your description. Maybe start with Return to Mysterious Island?

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I would recommend (with all my heart) Barrow Hill, Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, Dracula games (Dracula Resurrection, Dracula 2: The Last Sanctuary, Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon), Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches, Starship Titanic, Normality, maybe Morpheus & Necronomicon: The Dawning of Darkness, and, last but not least, (if you want to play something easy on puzzles but heavy on sleuthing) all the Carol Reed games.

Each of these games has a specific atmosphere that may or may not suit you. Just play them for some time (or watch a YouTube gameplay/playthroughs) and you’ll know what you’re dealing with.

P.S. Don’t pay attention to reviews & stars (opinions are like assh a certain part of anatomy - everybody has one), try everything and play what you like.
P.P.S. Just saw you didn’t like Normality. It’s your loss (crappy/obsolete graphics aside it’s a hell of a game) but it’s your call, of course.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Like Kurufinwe I also whole-heartedly recommend Return to Mysterious Island. Excellent game.

Joined 2006-01-27

PM

Played Mysterious Island. It was great. What’s their next best game? (I’m not a fan of space…)

Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches looks very interesting. What did y’all think of this one?

Thanks again.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Ah, I forgot about Kheops. If anything can be described as a MacGyver game, it’s any of their games.

indyjones2131 - 20 August 2013 02:23 PM

Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches looks very interesting. What did y’all think of this one?

I loved Rhiannon. It’s up there with Barrow Hill, Dark Fall and Amber: Journeys Beyond as one of the best 1st person spooky ghost-story games.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

indyjones2131 - 20 August 2013 02:23 PM

Played Mysterious Island. It was great. What’s their next best game? (I’m not a fan of space…)

I wouldn’t know if it’s their next-best game or anything, but if you haven’t played the sequel, Return to Mysterious Island 2, it’s worth a try: http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view/16667

It’s not as good as the first one but still very enjoyable.

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2012-07-10

PM

“Realms of the Haunting”, a horror adventure game combine with a FPS. Excellent story (although I found the end very poor).

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

The closest to Lost In Time I can think of right now is Heart Of China. It has that same kind of swashbuckling, Indiana Jones type feel, with object-puzzles all over the place.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top