• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Caribbean Island: A Pirate Adventure - is on Indiegogo

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2013-08-09

PM

Caribbean Island: A Pirate Adventure is a point-and-click adventure game in the old-school style titles you know and love! With these influences in mind we’re creating an epic, fun and challenging new adventure.

The game focuses on the story of Oliver.
Oliver is an eccentric pirate seeking treasures.
And survives mostly by using wit and negotiation rather than weapons or force.
Our hero will arrive to an island and the only way to start the adventure is with your help.

The initial plan is to have 4 chapters on the game. If we reach extra goals we can add a 5th and 6th chapter.
We hope to have the game done in around mid 2014.

With your help, Caribbean Island will become a reality—forged by Voon in 2D graphics in 1536p resolution!!, and it will be available for PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android. Hopefully if we reach an extra goal it will be on GameStick and OUYA too.

http://www.youtube.com/v/zF0tqJMPt7k?version=3&hl=en_US&hd=1

We are now on Indiegogo, you can help us sharing this and/or with a contribution:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/caribbean-island-a-pirate-adventure/

Thanks for taking the time to read!  Smile

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

“We have taken inspiration from Monkey Island because we love it”.

Well, at least they’re honest Tongue

I would have been more interested if they took a little less inspiration. It looks too much like the MI Special Editions.

Joined 2013-08-09

PM

Zifnab - 09 August 2013 10:22 PM

“We have taken inspiration from Monkey Island because we love it”.

Well, at least they’re honest Tongue

I would have been more interested if they took a little less inspiration. It looks too much like the MI Special Editions.

Thanks for your feedback Smile. Yes, our artwork style is based on similar MI Special Edition (basically a cartoonish style) to keep the same line to the players. The idea is to make a whole new game, new world, dialogs, but users needs to feel the spirit of old MI games.
Anyway, we only shown one background so I think that you should see the finished game (once we get it finished) and then anyone can play it and judge, right ? Smile

Cheers

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Right. Can I see the finished game before I pay you for it? Smile

Joined 2013-08-09

PM

Zifnab - 09 August 2013 10:31 PM

Right. Can I see the finished game before I pay you for it? Smile

Yes Smile, we will have a FREE/lite version so you can try it for your self on any of the platforms: PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android. If you like the game, then you can buy the full version.

We are also open to hear ideas and suggestions from community to develop a better game for MI fans.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Looks like you guys have put a lot of work into your pitch, but it’s just not my kind of thing at all. I didn’t like the graphics of the MI Special Edition very much, so this does not appeal to me at all.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

If you can manage to copy Bill Tiller’s artstyle as well as you’ve copied the style of the special editions (or better yet, use the inspiration to create your own style), you’d probably reach more people. There seems to be pretty much a general consensus about the special editions looking like a rushed job, so emulating those may turn some people off.
On a positive note, my first thought when I clicked on this thread was “this looks like something I should back!” Smile

Fans of the MI series seem to be divided in two camps as far as graphical preference goes, where some prefer the more realistic, yet pixellated look of the first two (original) games, and the rest prefers the more cartoony and exaggerated features of MI3. I’ve yet to see anyone praising the graphics of the special editions (or the fourth and fifth games for that matter).

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

It’s hard to judge a game like this before it’s finished. The Pirates of the Caribbean setting doesn’t guarantee anything, because everything depends on the charisma of the characters, clever puzzles, etc. Anyone can make a Monkey Island clone, the question is can they make a good clone. That takes enormous talent.

Dag - 10 August 2013 04:52 AM

I’ve yet to see anyone praising the graphics of the special editions (or the fourth and fifth games for that matter).

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewreply/38922/

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

OK, here some thoughts I have after seeing your indiegogo campaign (FYI: I’m an enthusiastic adventure game backer on Kickstarter and indiegogo):

It looks nice, but too much like the SE version of MI1 & MI2.
Additionally, the gameplay seems to be a clone of MI, as you also have a male protagonist looking for treasure. (Although he looks like Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean, another inspiration taken too gratuitously…).
You don’t want Disney’s lawyers on your back because of some copyright infringement!

Since you have flexible funding, not all potential backers are interested, as their pledges could be wasted if you only raise a few bucks. I would use fixed funding, and lower the amount to circa $5000, something which is more realistic to be obtained (of course you have to be able to make something with that amount).
And what can we expect about the story? It all looks too familiar (replace Oliver with Guybrush, and it’s MI).
Check out Nelly Cootalot’s successful kickstarter, and be inspired how a pirate themed adventure game still can offer something novel compared to the MI series.

But anyway,

good luck!!

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

jaap - 10 August 2013 06:00 AM

You don’t want Disney’s lawyers on your back because of some copyright infringement!

That’s actually a very good point. Honestly, this looks like something that should be freeware, since any profits you make could be taken away for breach of copyright. It’s just too similar to MI and PotC.

Joined 2013-08-09

PM

Well, it’s sad to see no interest on this game, because we are doing a big effort to make it.  Our aim is not to get money on this game, you know, if you want to get money, make an Angry birds game/casual game.

@jaap, with $5000 you can’t do too much. Making a game requires a lot of money. Also $30k after indiegogo fees,banks, perk rewards, you get less than 50% (believe me). I don’t know if you have a good idea of development costs, but try to hire high quality artists, musicians, programmers and then you will see how much hundreds of thousands dollars you need Wink.

I agree that MI fans are divided, so we decided to use the current art style.

@Oscar, we are not in copyright infringement. We are not using graphics, characters or anything of other games, we created all from the ground up. If you want to see how titles are “clones”, take a look at Gameloft Wink

Most indiegogo campaings are flexible funding, please take a look:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects?filter_category=Gaming&filter_country=CTRY_AR&filter_quick=popular_all
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/yatagarasu-attack-on-cataclysm/x/3400455
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gods-will-be-watching/x/3400455

Just a question, did someone took some time to share our campaign to help us? Grin

Joined 2013-08-09

PM

PS: We have posted an update on indiegogo clarifying the flexible funding, making clear that we will make the game reaching or not the goal Smile

Joined 2013-08-09

PM

Can you imagine Caribbean Island in pixelart? Here is an idea:

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

spartan - 10 August 2013 08:26 AM

@jaap, with $5000 you can’t do too much. Making a game requires a lot of money. Also $30k after indiegogo fees,banks, perk rewards, you get less than 50% (believe me). I don’t know if you have a good idea of development costs, but try to hire high quality artists, musicians, programmers and then you will see how much hundreds of thousands dollars you need Wink.

You might want to take a look at this.

Impressive, huh?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

what a bad voice acting of a hero even for demo!

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Is it bad that I think the pixelized version looks better?  That’s probably not the point you were trying to make, was it?  Wink

I think the problem here is that you’re not doing enough with your pitch to differentiate this game from Monkey Island itself.  People will definitely back an homage, but the homage still needs to set itself apart from the original somehow.  You unapologetically cite Monkey Island as inspiration, and say you want to appeal to Monkey Island fans, but if you’re not giving them anything they can’t already get from just playing Monkey Island, you’re going to have trouble building interest and campaign momentum.

And also—I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, unproven teams should at least bring a playable demo to the table if they want any hope of success.  Especially now that people are getting burnt out on crowd-funding, and several high profile projects from “proven” developers have run into big problems.  It’s not enough to just present an idea and a few screenshot/animation mockups anymore.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top