• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

skeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your favourite graphic style?

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Shnubble - 08 August 2013 10:22 AM

Well said, Zofnob.

Hey, don’t blame me. It was you who spelled your name wrong.

Grin

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

Fair enough.  Grin

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2013-08-08

PM

Can somebody name all the games Roman5 posted from top to bottom? I’m new to adventure games and I would like to check some of these out. They look really good.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

Here you go liogm, from top to bottom….

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director’s Cut
Runaway: A Road Adventure
Runaway: A Twist of Fate
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller - Episode 1: The Hangman (2 screenshots)
Keepsake (3 screenshots)
The Lost Crown: A Ghost-hunting Adventure
Lost Horizon (check out the Secret Files series too, made by the same dev)
Black Mirror III (3 screenhots)
Lost Chronicles of Zerzura (2 screenshots)
Gray Matter (3 screenshots)
Face Noir

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I don’t think I have a favourite style.

Sometimes you come across scenes that are so beautiful that you just want to enjoy it for a while before continue playing, and sometimes there are games where all the scenes are beautiful, but this can happen in almost all graphic styles.

The most important for me is really that the graphics are suited for the kind of game it is, for example I don’t think a Cat Lady style graphic would work well in a humorous game. And lets also be honest, most of the time the graphics simply serve as a background for the game, and simply blends with the overall experience of the game, without being something I pay special attention to.

Roman5 - 08 August 2013 09:51 AM

To add something else to the thread, does anyone think there has been one specific point and click adventure game made, 3rd or 1st person, where most people might agree has the best, most beautiful, most breathtaking graphics ever, regardless of style?

Most people who has commented on Keepsake has mentioned how beautiful it looks, but I would be surprised if there is anything everybody can agree on, here in this forum Smile

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Looking at the different styles and different screenshots, I can safely say I have no real favourite style.

If I have to name a favourite then I’ll just pick “the style that fits the game best, whatever it may be”.
Some games naturally look a lot better than others, but I think there are gorgeous games in nearly every style imaginable. And if it fits the game, the story, the mood, then all the more power to it!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2013-08-08

PM

Roman5 - 08 August 2013 01:45 PM

Keepsake (3 screenshots)
Face Noir

awesome! thank you so much, I’m gonna check these out. Any particular game to start with the genre? The only adventure games I have played are the first “monkey island” games, myst and the newer telltale games like back to the future and the walking dead. I’m kind of bored of action games, and want to play games that make me use my imagination to solve puzzles and have intriguing stories.  Laughing

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

liogm - 08 August 2013 03:18 PM
Roman5 - 08 August 2013 01:45 PM

Keepsake (3 screenshots)
Face Noir

awesome! thank you so much, I’m gonna check these out. Any particular game to start with the genre? The only adventure games I have played are the first “monkey island” games, myst and the newer telltale games like back to the future and the walking dead. I’m kind of bored of action games, and want to play games that make me use my imagination to solve puzzles and have intriguing stories.  Laughing

Black Mirror I, II, III Wink

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Zifnab - 08 August 2013 08:48 AM

And also, what would Curse of Monkey Island be? The characters are cartoons, but the backgrounds are not.

Like already said, even if we set out attention on cartoon style only, there’re many “styles”, so to speak. For example:

Broken Sword 1 is, something which could be categorized as - cartoon/realism, or perhaps comic. (actually, I’ve opened now game info on AG where it’s described as comic cartoon).

Monkey Island 3 is definitely more “goofy”, but as you mentioned, rather in characters than in backgrounds, so it’s a really a style of its own. It’s often mentioned in the reviews that Daedalic’s graphics resemble Monkey Island 3, but apart from the characters I wouldn’t quite agree, as background are more “paintings-like” somehow, especially The Whispered World. The closest match to Curse I can think of are the first two Runaways and So Blonde:

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top