• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - how dark is it?

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

So I just bought the game and mentioned it to a friend of mine who is (like me) a bit of a Sherlockian. Now he wants to play it as well. Now this friend he is a somewhat older gentleman and not really used to the level of violence and blood and gore you see in most forms of media these days. I think it’s really cool that he’s playing games at his age but I don’t really want to recommend something truly gory and disturbing to him. In the review on this site it said it was a rather bright and lighthearted affair with few gore but another review mentioned it’s macabre atmosphere and the trailers looked pretty dark and gory as well. So just how dark and distubring is this game? Is it SH vs Jack the Ripper dark (a game he didn’t have a problem with) or really more Still Life/Cognition territory? I’d love to know before I make any recommendations. Obviously the best way is if I just play it first myself but I don’t really have the time for that right now. (hoping to play it at the end of the month) So I’m kinda hoping you guys can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

If you’ve watched any modern TV crime drama, you know what it’s like. It isn’t so much the subject matter, which is much worse in SH vs JtR; but everyone brooding, the complete absence of light in the dialogue, the weightiness of everything that happens. Bright and lighthearted it is not. The mood is about on the same level as JtR and I probably wouldn’t argue against calling it ‘dark’. Same goes with Still Life and Cognition. The strangest thing is, on paper the ToSH ending is very happy, but I felt little joy.

That’s why I would say it might not suit an ‘older gentleman’. In my opinion somewhere in the visual arts (movies, tv, games) in the last decade or so a shift occurred where every event now has to have an apocalyptic significance, and it’s the end of the world if things don’t go right, otherwise viewers won’t be interested (which is untrue). That doesn’t suit me, at least at this point in time, and it’s why I don’t watch much tv. I may be completely wrong of course, and he may love it. Smile

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

gray pierce - 04 August 2013 08:51 PM

In the review on this site it said it was a rather bright and lighthearted affair with few gore but another review mentioned it’s macabre atmosphere and the trailers looked pretty dark and gory as well. So just how dark and distubring is this game?..

There is one tortured body examination and one autopsy scene iremember but other than
that game is far less disturbing than The Ripper and The Awakened.

Oscar - 04 August 2013 09:11 PM

In my opinion somewhere in the visual arts (movies, tv, games) in the last decade or so a shift occurred where every event now has to have an apocalyptic significance, and it’s the end of the world if things don’t go right, otherwise viewers won’t be interested (which is untrue). That doesn’t suit me, at least at this point in time, and it’s why I don’t watch much tv. I may be completely wrong of course, and he may love it. Smile

But hey that’s nature of police work one dont have stomach for it best keep reading.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Gabe - 05 August 2013 01:16 AM

There is one tortured body examination and one autopsy scene iremember but other than
that game is far less disturbing than The Ripper and The Awakened.

Two bloody crime scenes actually, other one including animals. And the depressing feeling of people starving and being taken advantage of.

But I might agree that it is less disturbing than The Ripper or The Awakened.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

I see. Thanks for all the input. I think if it’s on the same level as any modern crime drama it probably wont be much of a problem. He regularly watches British crime dramas and sat through every episode of Wire in the Blood, which admittedly is not the most lighthearted crime drama out there. He also watched The Killing which can be quite hefty in terms of bleakness as well. I was more refering to the amount of violence you get in most cable dramas. Shows like Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad. Two terrific shows but very vioent at times imo.

Anyway so there are only two bloody crime scenes? That’s a relief. After watching several trailers and some screenshots I though the game was riddled with horribly mutilated corpses. I even recall seeing a brief glimpse of a whole pile of mutilated corpses. Did that scene get pulled from the final product? Also in the trailer I saw a guy (still living) with his eyes gouched out. How much of that kind of gore is in the game? Is that the only time you meet a maimed person or do you interact with more maimed characters? And for how long?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

It has been a while since I played it so I can’t really remember all the details.

But I do remember that I didn’t find it gory at all, the darkness comes more from

millenia - 05 August 2013 01:51 AM

And the depressing feeling of people starving and being taken advantage of.

But that is a fairly accurate description of the time in which the game takes place.

Personally I wouldn’t have any problems recommending it to an elderly gentleman.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Well, the two scenes are grim. As mentioned, torture included. But I don’t remember piles, exactly, one of the scenes had also dead dogs. Nothing worse than you see on regular TV cop shows, though they might make you a bit queezy because you investigate them.

There is one post mortem too but it’s very mild compared to the actual scenes.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

This user review caught my eye:

“IMO this game is not dark, it is bland. The gore is unnecessary and seems a replacement for a real storyline. There is no spirit of adventure, no humor, and running back and forth between places to perform mundane things, rather than following a real investigation. There is no sense of pace, of mystery, of returning to 221B Baker Street for a slice of life. And get this—hardly a pipe smoked. Purists beware.”

and I could tell something similar for “vs Ripper”, although one can’t deny that plenty of research went into it, and even though I’m still to play “The Testament”, my fear is that in the terms of “atmosphere/puzzle” it’s closer to Ripper than Awakened/Nemesis.

I wouldn’t worry about the gore, because Awakened had much more “prerequisites” in that department, yet Frogwares managed to pull together a story very reminiscent of Doyle’s work, rather than a run-of-the-mill Lovecraft clone.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Thanks for all the input. I think I’ll recommend this title to him. He didn’t play The Awakened by the way but as I said Jack the Ripper was fine to him and as the story is reminiscent of Doyle’s work he’ll probably love it. (so will I btw let’s not forget little old me Wink )

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

I stopped playing it after a few hard puzzles -_-

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top