• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure games for a beginner

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-07-28

PM

Hey guys.
This is my first post here at adventure gamers.
I personaly was always scared for some reason of adventure games , some of the games i saw on youtube seemed overwhelming to me .
But i was always curious about the plot of some of this games , the summaries i had read seemed intriguing so i felt it was a shame to avoid these types of games without trying them out.
The first “adventure game” i played( Dont know if you can call it that ) was snatcher on the sega CD a couple of months ago , and i loved it to death , its one of my favourite games ever.
So im looking for more adventure games to play , what games would you guys suggest for absolute begginers to the genre?I would like to play some games in the same vein as snatcher ( kind of detective-esque adventure games).
Looking foward for your input Smile
Greetings John

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

wow, that had old-looking graphics.  You might enjoy something like Gemini Rue.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

If you liked Snatcher, you might also like the Visual Novel/Adventure Game hybrid Yu-No. It’s a bit sexist, though*. Otherwise it shares a similar gameplay quirk with Snatcher, in that you often have to exhaust certain options multiple times before the game allows you to progress in the narrative. They’re both sci-fi-ish, very atmospheric, naturally very japanese games. So, yeah, you might also like Yu-No.

*actually very sexist

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2011-02-18

PM

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

mbday630 - 28 July 2013 09:59 AM

I second Gemini Rue. Even if you don’t like old graphics, the story and the atmosphere totally enthrall you.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Cheshire Cat - 28 July 2013 04:47 PM
mbday630 - 28 July 2013 09:59 AM

I second Gemini Rue. Even if you don’t like old graphics, the story and the atmosphere totally enthrall you.

Gemini Rue is great for starters.

Others,
1.Policenauts if you liked Snatcher.
2.BrokenSword
3.HotelDusk series (but its on NDS).

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

i guess this would go under this topic… I hope I am not hijaking it…but, I am looking for a game for a beginner, an 87 year old woman who has never played an adventure game in her life. She has dementia and has short term memory loss.  Any ideas on what game would be good for her?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Snatcher? What a great game! A classic!

Culpa Innata would be perfect for you, along with Memento Mori and Blade Runner.

These are top notch and not difficult at all.

Crazy

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

mbday630 - 28 July 2013 06:38 PM

i guess this would go under this topic… I hope I am not hijaking it…but, I am looking for a game for a beginner, an 87 year old woman who has never played an adventure game in her life. She has dementia and has short term memory loss.  Any ideas on what game would be good for her?

No adventure games come to mind, but I recommend stuff like Brain Age for the DS and Sudoku.

Jumping from that you could try the Professor Layton series.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-07-28

PM

Funny you mention that the artwork was what brought me in to playing the game , manga like artstyle with very vivid colours and sharp lines.
Great asthetics on that game.
Anyways guys i think im going to play Gemini rue since it has been suggested by many people , policenauts   bladerunner(i love cyberpunk) and hotel dusk.
When i finish these games i have a ton of suggestions on this post to play
Thanks guys.
PS:Are shafer games hard to pickup , i loved his style in brutal legend and he makes adventure games.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Zappian - 29 July 2013 02:31 PM

PS:Are shafer games hard to pickup , i loved his style in brutal legend and he makes adventure games.

Schafer adventures like Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango are stil not available on digital stores but I guess used copies ahould be easy to find.

Monkey Island 1 and 2 has the Special Edition available everywhere.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Emerald City Confidential is a really nice beginner adventure

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Zappian - 29 July 2013 02:31 PM

Funny you mention that the artwork was what brought me in to playing the game , manga like artstyle with very vivid colours and sharp lines.
Great asthetics on that game.

Same here, loved the artstyle , convinced me to must play back then, its just that
artstyle is very subjective thing, what GRue had is something not everyone can like or
understand. But the creator Josh did amazing job. GRue has got some CowboyBebop
eastereggs too. The game was intially called Boryokudan Rue, got some major Japanese influence, which is a plus in my book.

Still i go back and watch this amazing debut trailer , bring back memories.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

Memento Mori is pretty easy, it’s about investigating stolen artwork that twists into something else. It’s quite Da Vinci code-esque & some interesting quirks with multiple endings.

When you get back into it, you may want to look at Lost Horizon which is good fun & not too challenging. It’s like an Indiana Jones adventure, if you might like that. And The Lost crown is an interesting ghost investigation adventure. And if you like magic, Gray Matter is really enjoyable. If futuristic is more your thing then Moment of Silence. Check them out.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top