• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

PRECINCT (Adventure game by Police Quest creator, former officer Jim Walls!!!!)

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Here’s a link to the Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/precinctgame/precinct

And here’s the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JimWallsPrecinct?fref=ts

The Kickstarter goal is 500k.

Let’s do this!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Awesome. Jim’s voice is like something out of a Hollywood movie.

I like that it’s 1st person although I hope the adventure part has more to it than selecting from a bunch of choices.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Damn… that’s pricey. I do like the first person idea the game has and the visualisation looks very nice, but 30 dollars as the first tier to get the game… I have to put this in deep concideration.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

Darn, no Physical Edition Tiers?

This could be fun:

Check back daily for a new bit of history you’ve never heard before, including; visits to the old Sierra buildings in Oakhurst, a visit Ken and Roberta’s old house, and several fascinating stories from Robert and Jim as they reminisce about the old days at Sierra.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sierra All the way ..
i dont really get what and how the gamplaying of this project PRECINCT supposed , however that wont stop anyone or me to back J.Walls .. as we always had the fun with his previous contributions with Sierra , The Genre and Police Quest , but someone correct if i am wrong J.Walls Was never the master of Gameplaying he as i heard through the years from other Sierra’s Designer and Programmers (from Articles or interviews) J.Walls was more like are storyteller and it was always up to Mark , Al to help through the creating puzzles and the Designof how the gameplaying of PQs would work out like,
anyways
i am just wondering if we are going to miss those guys touches (in obvious way) through PRECINCT.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

Hope this one turns out well. It sure sounds and looks interesting. The first person perspective can be good if they do it well.

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I really can’t imagine what this will be like. They are calling it an adventure which would suit the 500k budget and the QTE kind of gameplay in the drawings, and then there’s this: “intense fast action gameplay sequences that include shootouts, high speed car chases, investigations, foot pursuits, hand-to-hand combat, and more.” With the kind of graphics in the preview combined with the GTA-sounding gameplay they are describing that’s going to cost a lot more if it’s going to be done properly. And for the realism they are aiming for, a relatively large and open-world is needed with the ability to roam by car and on foot. That’s tough work.

Mind you, I think it will easily get to 500k.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I think i will pass on this one, at least based on what i know so far.

I was never a big fan of the Police Quest series, and it looks like it will have a lot of QTE, which i’m also not a big fan of.

If they showed more of what the gameplay would be like, and it isn’t just QTE or a more intelligent form of QTE, then i might be willing to reconsider.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Oh boy. I’ve got as much nostalgia for Police Quest as anyone but this just seems like trouble. $500,000 is an insane amount to ask for, especially when the details they’ve giving about it are so vague that it doesn’t even seem like they know what kind of game they’re making. Everything they have just seems to be the roughest of concept material, even the footage in their video is completely pre-rendered and can’t be trusted as an accurate gauge of what they’re working on will look like. The only gameplay concept they’re actually showing us is the exciting ability to see a list of options to choose from in tense scenarios like “draw gun” or “spray mace”. As of right now, all I’m seeing from the game aside from some pie-in-the-sky ideas are some very loose concepts for a choose your own adventure game.

They’re estimating a June 2014 release. That’s less than a year from now. I wish them all the best but…oy vey.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

AArrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!

The Sierra sequel factory gets back to flogging those horses.

I do understand that most of these kickstarters are being funded mainly due to nostaliga and maybe they wouldn’t be made otherwise, but the Sierra guys are playing it way too easy and safe.

Remake Larry
Make essentially a new Space Quest
and now a new Police Quest

I wish they had some new ideas. Double Fine was funded for an original idea, but nobody else seems to have followed that example. Instead going for the easy option.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

But police games are a good niche. There’s surprisingly few good police themed games. There’s a lot of games about being a criminal, but policing with all the rules included is pretty rare. And Jim Walls really isn’t that good at doing anything else. Being a cop and giving procedures and all is where he shines.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I hear you Lucien but I wouldn’t say nobody. Jane Jensen had three original ideas and for example Dreamfall Chapters had already been decided a log ago. Then there are tons and tons of small projects, good stuff - at least I hope they will be.

I have to stop backing already since I’m running out of money, but I will still follow what happens to “the new Police Quest”.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

Lucien21 - 16 July 2013 02:26 PM

I wish they had some new ideas. Double Fine was funded for an original idea, but nobody else seems to have followed that example. Instead going for the easy option.

None of these adventure gaming names have anywhere near the cachet among general gamers that Tim Schafer’s name does.  I can’t blame them for focusing on what they’re good at.  Jim Walls will get more money doing a police game than a ballet simulator. Wink

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

The atmosphere in the art test video seems quite promising but those multiple choice menus aren’t doing much for me. I hope they update with more of their game design plans.

I also wonder if it should be more prominent on the Kickstarter page that Jim Walls was one of the designers on Blade Runner and a content designer on Earth and Beyond. I know it’s in his bio, but I wonder how many people will make it that far.

The fact that Mr. Walls is now retired means people sometimes seem to interpret him as a has-been (if this thread is any indication). Blade Runner and Earth and Beyond help offset this impression by showing that he has worked on somewhat more modern games, since a lot changed in how games were made between the golden age Sierra days and 2002 (Earth and Beyond), but really not as much has changed between 2002 and now. Also, as the Dreamfall Chapters guys once said about The Secret World (paraphrasing)—MMOs are complicated, and if you’ve worked on an MMO, it’s almost like having worked on several kinds of game (action adventure, RPG, resource management, etc.) So to me, the work on Earth and Beyond is valuable experience for making a game in 2013. (It also helps a ton of course that the rest of the Precinct team has extensive and recent game making experience.) As a Sierra fan, I appreciate the emphasis on the history, but I hope it is also balanced out.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I have real reservations about backing any project that doesn’t have an established development studio behind it. I made an exception for SpaceVenture, and I might end up regretting it. Hero U is more good evidence. These are talented people but it’s tough to make a game without a real office and a full staff of people.

I’m a Sierra fan for life, and I might take the gamble if it was $15, but for $30, I’m not going to risk it. But good luck to him, I hope he makes it, and I’ll definitely check the game out if it gets made.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Lucien21 - 16 July 2013 02:26 PM

Huh? DFA was funded with the idea “let’s make a classic point-and-click adventure”.

A modern police game could be original, it depends entirely on the execution. I think needs to be focused on police procedures, not just charging in shooting everything or investigating murders. The problem is people find that boring, failing an assignment because you didn’t read the accused his rights. They need to find a way around that which doesn’t turn it into a shooter.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top