• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dalekanaifu

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Nancy Drew recommendations

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

I was always hesitant to try Nancy Drew adventures, because they seemed too casual for my taste, but I’ve just finished the last one “Ghost of Thornton Hall” and it was quite entertaining. I must add that I love spooky, haunted houses adventures, so that was definitely a plus (that’s why I picked it up in the first place. That and some good reviews I’ve read).
So now I’m willing to try more Nancy Drew titles. I’m actually forcing myself a bit to like them, because there are so many of them, that I would never be without an adventure to play again. :)
Which ones would you guys recommend to play next?

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hi Cheshire Cat, I haven’t played Thornton Hall or the previous ND game as since Interact closed down I haven’t been able to get hold of the games except from HER Interactive who charge extortionate prices for shipping!

Up until then I’ve played every single ND game - from what I understand from reviews Thornton Hall harks back to more ‘detective work’ lacking in many of the later ND games so I can’t specifically recommend any game but you may enjoy any of the earlier ones!

ND games on my part never feature in my top list of games to play but I do love them - they always just feel like nice ‘homely’ games so I do need my ND ‘fix’ every year!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’ve played the following Nancy Drew games:
Legend of the Crystal Skull
The Phantom of Venice
Secrets Can Kill (Remastered)
Shadow at the Water’s Edge
The Captive Curse

I liked them all, I would pick the one with the most interesting theme.

Leged of the Crystall Skull is an old mansion in Louisiana with hints of voodoo and of course the South American crystal skull legend. It’s been a favourite one for many, but I didn’t find it better than the rest (except for perhaps the kinda tasty goth guy).

The Phantom of Venice is a treasure hunt in Venice.

Secrets Can Kill was the first game, a mystery in high school.

Shadow at the Water’s Edge is about Japanese culture and horror.

The Captive Curse was an old cursed castle in Germany turned into an inn.

I think perhaps I liked The Captive Curse best, but can’t really be sure.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

While I haven’t played any of the Nancy Drew games, I would like to point out that Curse of Blackmoor Manor made the AdventureGamers Top 100 of All-Time. That means that some of the staff here think that’s the best game in the series (well, at least before the last couple of games were released)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

TimovieMan - 15 June 2013 10:26 AM

While I haven’t played any of the Nancy Drew games, I would like to point out that Curse of Blackmoor Manor made the AdventureGamers Top 100 of All-Time. That means that some of the staff here think that’s the best game in the series (well, at least before the last couple of games were released)...

Or they received a generous bribe. (I can think of no other way a ND game could make it into the top 100, but I’ll just keep that to myself Wink)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

It was at #99. Consensus probably made them put a single game from the series in there.

Doing a top-100 on your own is difficult enough, trying to make one with an entire team is pure hell to reach consensus.
Besides, wanting to acknowledge a pretty popular series that has 25+ games merits a single low spot on a top-100, no?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

I’ve only played the first 16 Nancy Drew games, but I find the quality of the games to be all over the place. Some are decent, many are pretty awful.

The biggest annoyance to me was when they started adding all those dumb mini-games like making meals for people that you have to do over and over again for no other reason than to pad the length of the games.

As I played many of them back to back, they kind of run together in my memory a bit. I do have pretty negative memories of Shadow Ranch and Danger by Design though. Blackmoor manor was pretty good and I think I liked The Scarlet Hand. It’s all pretty hazy to me though. I wouldn’t put too much weight on my opinion for this.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Bastich - 15 June 2013 12:21 PM

I’ve only played the first 16 Nancy Drew games

Only?  Grin

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’ve been told by a local ND fan I know that she liked Treasure in the Royal Tower the best.  Hope that helps.

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Thanks guys! I checked all your suggestions and I think I might like those from millenia’s list the most. I’ll probably start with the Legend of the Crystal Skull because everyone seems to like that and The Captive Curse. Keep adding recommendations though, it’s good to have them in one place, not only for me.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Amazingly, “The Clue Bender Society” on the Nintendo DS was an excellent Nancy Drew game.

“Ghost Dogs of Moonlake” is an excellent Nancy Drew game on the PC - playing it was fabulous. I didn’t wonder after I finished it why a Nancy Drew game was in the top 100 adventure games list.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

Mikekelly - 18 June 2013 06:53 AM

“Ghost Dogs of Moonlake” is an excellent Nancy Drew game on the PC - playing it was fabulous. I didn’t wonder after I finished it why a Nancy Drew game was in the top 100 adventure games list.

I’ve played all of the Nancy Drew games and the Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake is my absolute favorite. The Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon is a blast too. I know a lot of people put these games down here but I find most of them light and fun and enjoyable. There are definitely some hit and miss ones but overall I enjoy them. In fact, the only one of the lot that I actively disliked was Ransom of the Seven Ships. And the newest game (Ghost of Thorton Hall) is one of the best ones in recent history.

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Just finished The Legend of the Crystal Skull. Really solid game. A few more locations to visit would be welcome and there’s too much backtracking in the last third of it, but all in all very enjoyable.

CoyoteAG - 18 June 2013 11:35 AM

The Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon is a blast too.

I was hoping that one was good - I love trains!

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2013-06-26

PM

I don’t know.

I tried Nancy Drew but I didn’t really like it. Is seemed too childish for me and to me, Nancy doesn’t have to much character.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

CroGamer - 01 July 2013 05:59 AM

I don’t know.

I tried Nancy Drew but I didn’t really like it. Is seemed too childish for me and to me, Nancy doesn’t have to much character.

Nancy is very bland yes. If something, she is goody-two-shoes. But the games that I played were still charming. The secondary characters have much more flavour and some of them are actually really entertaining.

I’d still say that everyone should try out the games that interest them on their setting and theme, that way the experience is more enjoyable. I will need to write down the recommendations on this thread though, I have a few ND games that I haven’t played yet but I could track down the ones considered best. It’s too bad that the Steam ND package is so expensive (it’s not much per game but the total price makes me cringe), if only we would get a 75% sale from it this summer Tongue.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

CroGamer - 01 July 2013 05:59 AM

I don’t know.

I agree, Nancy has no personality and the games are somewhat childish, but they are still much better than I expected. As chrissie said – they have this soothing homely aura. When you are going through a stressful period and you need a fun game that is not too emotionally involving to stress you even more, and that will divert your attention without making you think too much, but still not making you feel stupid for playing it, than Nancy Drew is the way to go. 

So far I have played all the games from millenia’s list except Secrets Can Kill and I liked all of them, although Ghost of Thornton Hall is still the best so far. In search for something similar I tried The Haunting of Castle Malloy and I don’t recommend that one: the beginning is promising but it soon becomes irritating (stupid story and boring puzzles).

I’m taking a break from Nancy for now.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top