• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How long do you wait before you replay?

Poll: How long do you wait before you replay?
Total Votes: 41
Less than 1 year
2-3 years
>5 years

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Varies a lot, but I answered more than 5 years, as I think I don’t replay the vast majority of games at all. There’s a good portion of which I don’t even finish on the basis of not liking them.

I do pride myself of finishing every adventure game I start, even though I wouldn’t think the game wasn’t that greart, but when thar happens I just take a walkthroigh and run the game through before discarding it.

I’ve also noticed, that when it comes replaying adventure games I usually tend to replay the old classics, like Sierra’s and Lucasfilm’s games.

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

I voted more than 5 years, but I think the true answer would be forever, because I can’t find motivation to play the game when I know how’s the story going to end, even if I’m totally in love with it. I’d always choose a new game, even when it’s of a much worse quality.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

I, too, have an endless list of games I have yet to play for the first time.
Replayed Monkey Island and Broken Sword, though, when the tablet versions came out.

Lately I enjoy watching playthroughs of old games on youtube.
It´s lazy, but you can skip tedious or boring parts and get an additional point of view. The puzzles I usually don´t forget anyway.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Most games I have not and will never replay. Like many of you, I did it more in the ‘90s when games were more difficult to come by due both to lack of the internet and cheap sales, and being young.

The replay I’m most looking forward to is Police Quest 3. It’s just about the last game I have left that I played in full 15+ years ago (spring of 1994 in this case) and have not touched since. It will be interesting for the memories and emotions to flood back.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

For adventure games (which I assume is what we are addressing here, given the venue), I wait a long time before replaying. Years, usually. Otherwise I remember everything I am supposed to do, which kind of kills a lot of the fun. Some games, I will never forget what to do, so I replay them only if I enjoy the story enough to experience it again absent the challenge.

The exception would be something like Portal (if one considers that an adventure game, which this site apparently does), where a lot of the fun lies in the execution of the solutions to puzzles, even if you already know how to solve them.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

TimovieMan - 13 June 2013 12:10 PM

I replay games *less* than I did back in the ‘90s, but the reason is simple: my list of games to play is seemingly infinite now, while back then my catalogue only got expanded two-three times a year, so I replayed the most awesome games again and again. That’s also why you won’t get a screenshot/quote/soundclip past me from either Fate of Atlantis, The Dig or Full Throttle. Tongue

I think you’ve nailed it, for me at least. Every year there are dozens of adventure games added to the List(tm) so it just keeps building and building. I don’t expect to ever get round to finishing all of the games I haven’t played, so there will always be a game on the List(tm) which is higher than the games I want to replay.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

As I posted elseware, the 3DS has several brand new adventure games just published that look well worth playing in the Nintendo eshop. So, both the VITA and 3DS are excellent for adventure games which is wonderful.

The VITA is a major step above the PSP for adventure games, the PSP only had a handful its entire run and the VITA with its OLED screen is fun to play them on.

So, provided you are OK with downloading games you have tons of new games to play.

I replayed all 82 of my DS adventure games on my 3DS XL and loved doing it. Played like a dream and just as much fun the second time around.

On the PC, I’m replaying “The Longest Journey” for the third time and it’s just as good as the first time.

So, if the game is a good one - like ‘Gray Matter’, I will replay it in less than a year.

Sometimes, they are actually more fun on the replay, all the Ace Attorney games were more fun the 2nd time around.

I’m so looking forward to Ace Attorney 5, I will play that one several times the first year I have it!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Mister Ed - 14 June 2013 08:02 PM

For adventure games (which I assume is what we are addressing here, given the venue), I wait a long time before replaying. Years, usually. Otherwise I remember everything I am supposed to do, which kind of kills a lot of the fun. Some games, I will never forget what to do, so I replay them only if I enjoy the story enough to experience it again absent the challenge.

The exception would be something like Portal (if one considers that an adventure game, which this site apparently does), where a lot of the fun lies in the execution of the solutions to puzzles, even if you already know how to solve them.

I played Portal about 3 years ago and would hardly remember any of the puzzle solutions at this point. What’s weird though is that a game like Space Quest 3 which I haven’t played for 15+ years I would remember most of because I played it a bunch of times back then.

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Mister Ed - 14 June 2013 08:02 PM

It’s the only game that I’ve replayed in my life (which is almost three decades long) and that is another proof that Portal is NOT an adventure game :))

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Heck, judging by the above statement it’s even questionable if it is a game at all! LOL

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just replayed “Insecticide” on the Nintendo 3ds - I origonaly played it on a DS in 2008.

So - after six years - I enjoyed the game almost as much as a new one.

Because of the action sequences, this game got mixed at best reviews when released.

Because I had save games at every chapter I could skip the action parts completely and play it as an adventure game - making this second play pure joy.

So - if you keep your save game files - which I always do - the 2nd time around if you wait long enough can be much better than the first.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I replay favourites pretty often. I play games like Broken Sword and the Gabriel Knights almost once a year. I actually think I could be quite happy with only Gabriel Knight 3 on my computer for the rest of my life…

I also tend to replay DS games quite often for some reason. As someone stated above, the Phoenix Wright games are even better the second and third time around.

Sometimes one or two difficult or badly designed moments in an otherwise great game keep me from replaying it. One example I come to think of is sneaking around the monster infested caves in Dreamfall. I’d like to replay the game some day but doesn’t feel like going through that again. Same thing with some moments in Broken Sword 4, like that defusing the bomb debacle.

Halway off-topic: I’m actually replaying URU for the first time right now. Played all parts in sequence the first time around and thought I’d try out The Complete Chronicles experience this time. I immediately set out to crack Kadish Tolesa age all by myself this time, but couldn’t do it even on a replay… The people behind the puzzles in that age should be lured inside a prison book! I cracked Riven without help back in the days but Kadish Tolesa is impossible to fully understand even after reading a walkthrough. What were they thinking?:)

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Veovis - 15 July 2013 10:44 AM

Halway off-topic: I’m actually replaying URU for the first time right now. Played all parts in sequence the first time around and thought I’d try out The Complete Chronicles experience this time. I immediately set out to crack Kadish Tolesa age all by myself this time, but couldn’t do it even on a replay… The people behind the puzzles in that age should be lured inside a prison book! I cracked Riven without help back in the days but Kadish Tolesa is impossible to fully understand even after reading a walkthrough. What were they thinking?:)

My main problems with URU were the puzzles where, even if I were to correctly divine the solution, I would reject it, assuming I made a mistake because the REAL solution couldn’t POSSIBLY be that tedious.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top