• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Mike the Wino

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Why does so many AG Kickstarter and Indiegogo projects fail?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Not long ago you could read some comments her on the forum praising kickstarter, hoping that kickstarter could be a kick-start not only for individual games but also for the whole genre.

But i have noticed that recently an alarming number of AG have failed both on Kickstarter an Indiegogo. Just within the last month no less then 4 projects i personally supported have failed, some of them even asking for ridiculous small amounts like 30,000$, and that is just the ones i personally supported.

Why is this happening?

Is it because only the big old names like Tim Schafer, Ragnar Tørnquist, Al Love, Jane Jensen etc. can attract enough backers, and younger lesser know names really haven’t got a fair chance, no matter how good their project is, or how well planned and professional their campaign has been?

Is it just a case of Kickstarter fatigue, after first some big kickstarters and then recently Dreamfall Chapters?

Is it simply a coincidence where each campaign failed for various different reasons, like The Realm’s problem with American payments, and they just all happened to fail at the same time.

Or is this really already the end of the Kickstarter Era for adventure games?
Was Kickstarter just a short lived boost for AG and not what some of us hoped it would be?

Personally I haven’t got the slightest clue, but i really hope it is just a coincidence or a case of fatigue, but what do you think?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

None of the recent Kickstarters has appealed to me at all. It’s not that I’ve grown tired of Kickstarter, I just haven’t had any interest what-so-ever in any of the games that has been on Kickstarter so far in 2013. I think this is the same for a lot of people. AR-K, The Realm, etc. just don’t look all that appealing that I want to (essentially) pre-order them.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I think it may have something to do with that there’s maybe not really that many true adventure gamers out there, you know, people who have been playing adventure games all along, even through the “dark” decade, people who plays adventure games regularly today. But there’s probably tons of people who played games like Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle back in the day, who remember those games, but haven’t seen or heard (or maybe even cared) anything about them since then, until now, with Tim Schafers “reintroduction” of the genre through Kickstarter. I think it’s possible that a majority of the DFA and “Sierra”-backer’s consists of people like that (forgive my political incorrectness, but I don’t know how to better phrase it).

For now, I think the majority of the backers of smaller AG Kickstarters are the kind of people who are actively seeking out adventure games, people who are enthustiastic about the genre, people who’s motivation for backing a project is about more than just getting a copy of the game or T-shirts, but also about helping to rebuild or improve the whole adventure game scene. I think the DFA, being the Kickstarted adventure game’s posterchild, needs to become a considerable success in order for a new generation of backers of (small) kickstarter AG projects to spawn.

This is just my personal (and probably naive) theory, and I don’t claim any of the above sentences to be true Wink

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Well it’s most of those reasons. If it’s not a big name, it wont attract attention so much so it needs to be at least that much more interesting to succeed. I don’t have money to pledge to every nice looking project, so some of these countless games will have to manage without my money. And being busy and already a pledger for so many games, I don’t really even follow KS that much now, only through other channels: forums, recommendations from friends etc.

I surely hope AGs in KS aren’t dead yet and I don’t think they are. After this initial excitement pretty much gone now, people just have to be really smart about this. All these projects popping up like mushrooms in the rain - they can’t all succeed. It’s about the idea, the presentation and the timing.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but over 50% of all Kickstarter projects fail. Some of the reasons I’d pin for reasons: failure to get publicity, poor management, unappealing concept, believing that opening KS/IndieGoGo page is enough, no clear vision, failure to communicate with potential audience, unrealistic funding goals, poor incentives (rewards).

Some of those can be overcome if you have people in your team with pull, some of you can’t.

Here’s a link to Kickstarter own statistics: http://www.kickstarter.com/help/stats

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The premise/implication that AG KS projects fail at a higher rate than other kinds of games is wrong.

A couple of Kickstarters don’t get funded, and suddenly it’s cause for alarm? Seems silly to me.

The AG record is actually a very good one: http://www.adventure-treff.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=475159#p475159

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

tomimt - 25 May 2013 05:03 PM

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but over 50% of all Kickstarter projects fail. Some of the reasons I’d pin for reasons: failure to get publicity, poor management, unappealing concept, believing that opening KS/IndieGoGo page is enough, no clear vision, failure to communicate with potential audience, unrealistic funding goals, poor incentives (rewards).

Well yes i did know that far from every project succeeds, though i didn’t know the actual numbers.

Obviously i don’t believe the projects i backed had an unappealing concept, no clear vision, unrealistic funding goals or poor incentives. If they had, then i wouldn’t had backed them in the first place. Nor do i believe that they believed that opening KS/IndieGoGo page is enough, if that was the case then i would never had heard of them, and at least some of them did get a fair amount of publicity.

In fact the reason i wrote this, was that i had expected that some of them would had reached their goal without any problems, and it came as a complete surprise to me when they first struggled and then failed.

Quest1 - 25 May 2013 05:33 PM

The premise/implication that AG KS projects fail at a higher rate than other kinds of games is wrong.

A couple of Kickstarters don’t get funded, and suddenly it’s cause for alarm? Seems silly to me.

If you look at it over a long term, perhaps, but as far as i can tell the recent projects has had close to a 100% failure rate, and if that trend continues, then it is cause for alarm.

Now as i also wrote in my post, then it might just be a coincidence, and there is no cause for alarm at all, but i wanted to get others input on this.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2003-09-19

PM

I haven’t really followed the adventure games Kickstarter scene, what notable projects failed?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Dag - 25 May 2013 03:36 PM

I think it may have something to do with that there’s maybe not really that many true adventure gamers out there, you know, people who have been playing adventure games all along, even through the “dark” decade, people who plays adventure games regularly today. But there’s probably tons of people who played games like Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle back in the day, who remember those games, but haven’t seen or heard (or maybe even cared) anything about them since then, until now, with Tim Schafers “reintroduction” of the genre through Kickstarter. I think it’s possible that a majority of the DFA and “Sierra”-backer’s consists of people like that (forgive my political incorrectness, but I don’t know how to better phrase it).

For now, I think the majority of the backers of smaller AG Kickstarters are the kind of people who are actively seeking out adventure games, people who are enthustiastic about the genre, people who’s motivation for backing a project is about more than just getting a copy of the game or T-shirts, but also about helping to rebuild or improve the whole adventure game scene. I think the DFA, being the Kickstarted adventure game’s posterchild, needs to become a considerable success in order for a new generation of backers of (small) kickstarter AG projects to spawn.

This is just my personal (and probably naive) theory, and I don’t claim any of the above sentences to be true Wink

I think this is very reasonable.

I also think it’s all about the pitch, and not so much the game. Many backers will either not be “true adventurers” or people who are nostalgic about them so it needs to be really well marketed to appeal to everyone and get them excited. At first I couldn’t understand why The Capri Connection only got $2000 but it really was a terrible pitch. You can’t sit there and talk about yourself for 3 minutes and then say “we cannot tell you anything about the game”.

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Iznogood - 25 May 2013 02:57 PM

Why is this happening?

Is it because only the big old names like Tim Schafer, Ragnar Tørnquist, Al Love, Jane Jensen etc. can attract enough backers, and younger lesser know names really haven’t got a fair chance, no matter how good their project is, or how well planned and professional their campaign has been?

Personally I haven’t got the slightest clue, but i really hope it is just a coincidence or a case of fatigue, but what do you think?

I don’t know the answer either, but I have some thoughts.

First, an obscene amount of money was raised by a relatively small number of big-name designers. It doesn’t deny their capabilities, but let’s go left to right. $8MM for an un-named adventure gaming project that has yet to see the light of day. Great designer and co-designer that are doing a remake of a 1987 “classic”. Great designer of a pair of games that half the audience loves and the other half hates. Great designer of Sierra mystic/detective AGs that hasn’t really reported any progress on the funded game for several months…but it is scheduled for a 2013 rlease.

The above represent a conservative $13MM US in KS funding. Is there any wonder that there isn’t much left over? Yet the magnitude of the funding could not help but invite others hoping to partake of the ever-open wallet.

My wallet is closed. The average buy-in/pre-order price of a KS game is $15. Replay has already priced the retail version of LSL Reloaded at $19.99. By and large I can just wait for the game and pay list price rather than leave my money in limbo.

I think those that are waiting for the money to flow in “just because” are out of luck.

When people see the success of Daedalic, which seems to manage quite well without external finacing, I think I see the end of the KS model. And as far as the “big four” quoted in Izengood’s posting…I would hold my breath as far as any of them getting funding again. Meh

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I think it’s for a little bit of many stated reasons: poor project management, poor concepts, poor execution, poor publicity, kickstarter fatigue.

I don’t think it’s just the big guys getting it all.  I mean, my group managed to have a very successful Kickstarter 1 year ago for Quest For Infamy - and just recently, Himalaya Studios funded Mage’s Initiation with a very successful Kickstarter.  We’re both small, independent groups. 

I supported several projects that failed, as well, and I really liked them - but it really takes a lot of work and a lot of magic to run a Kickstarter, especially if you are a small, independent team with no “name” designer on your team.  I know that for the month my KS ran, I was online, talking to everyone and anyone - getting involved with my backers, visiting forums - promoting our demo, taking suggestions… interaction is really the key.  You have to get down in the trenches and talk to people - the adventure game community is pretty small and tight knit, and you can have some great interactions with people.  Honestly, my favorite part of my KS was the people I met and talked with - I gained a lot of friends out of it, and met some really amazing people. 

I guess my advice to anyone who tries is to just put yourself out there, and be there to talk, take questions, make accommodations for people.  Have a good plan for your game, have a good demo, I think that helped us, and try to be as clear as you can about your game and your intent.  No one’s perfect - there will be some stumbling blocks along the way, but just get out there, sell yourself, sell your game, and be honest about your passions.

Bt

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

There’s a lot that can go wrong with a crowd-funding campaign, but the two main concerns are usually 1) getting recognised on an appropriate scale and 2) having a tangible, desirable product. Unless you’re a well-known developer, not showing actual gameplay in your pitch video is a death warrant and is probably what killed some of the unsuccessful campaigns you’re referring to.

Aside from that, Kickstarter is actually a pretty decent way to separate the wheat from the chaff. If a project fails, it’s usually because the idea wasn’t very compelling in the first place (or the devs completely miscalculated how much money they should spend on it).

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Generic ideas and they ask for too much while offering too little. Big turn off.

I’m upset that Ecco the Dolphin Kickstarter failed though. Would have been awesome.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Draco2.5 - 25 May 2013 09:17 PM

I haven’t really followed the adventure games Kickstarter scene, what notable projects failed?

Well whether or not they were notable is a matter of opinion, some of the ones i backed was rather small projects. More importantly the thread is not about the individual projects, and i don’t want this thread to turn into a discussion of pro and con about each project, so all i will say is that a lot of recent projects have failed.

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

I don’t think it’s about “big” or “small” projects, but a lot of it is about the track record of the developers.  None of the recent ones have really put out anything that made me think they were capable of putting out a great game, even if they had a few nice components.

I generally donate to the very big (sequels to games that were a huge part of my childhood) or very small (tiny teams who clearly wouldn’t be able to make their games otherwise). 

I am not fatigued (still backing Nelly Cootalot) but waiting for pitches that genuinely interest me - I’ve got a huge backlog as it is Gasp

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

According to KS stats, there has been 5409 game projects. Out of those projects 1745 have succeeded, which is about 30% success rate. So that in mind every game project is more likely to fail than succeed in KS, not just adventure games in general.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top