• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckykanaifuLady Kestrelrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Classic Adventuring elements/features that are almost diminishing (Survey)

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Heheheh:D

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Advie - 18 May 2013 10:24 PM

and Izno i will get to your’s

Then i better thinking about finishing it Smile

It is a long list, which is why i had to stop midways, but i think such a list is a great starting place to discuss different elements of AG.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 18 May 2013 10:20 PM

i was pointing to undeniable facts, yes facts and as some point might look like a duplicate for a previous i believe not .

You’re calling an awful lot of interpretations (or judgments) “facts”. Dangerous word to use for something so open for debate, imo… Wink

if you think MI2 didn’t have vast Exploration from start then you don’t get the point as less than 20% of your progress in MI2 you able to wonder through 3 different islands , and the appearance of new island doesn’t remove the previous out of the game so it about huge numbers of screens and location which are all accumulating & giving the feeling of the real world, aren’t that why we love AG,

Sorry, but if you think that MI2 DOES have vast exploration from the start, then that means you already consider the first island to be “vast”, which it isn’t, imo.
After the first island, two others become open, effectively tripling the amount of exploration. That’s a perfect example of starting small(er) before opening up a vast world. The fact that the first island remains accessible throughout doesn’t matter for this.

that is a hasty answer did you ever wonder of the interactive NPCs appeared at MI1 or The Longest Journey or PQ1 or Laura Bow or Simon2.. or and then if you remember, remind me how many were there at the great Gemini Rue , ot the Critter Chronicles… Edna and Harvey had it good, but the interaction was limited

We have a different opinion on what constitutes a “big number” of NPCs then. Gemini Rue didn’t have a lot. Neither did MI1 really. TLJ had a more than decent number, but not an extraordinary one. The rest is either too long since I last played them, or I haven’t yet played them.
Not that many games feel really crowded, and that’s what I was thinking of when it’s about a “big number”...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i am not gonna get more into conversations where the answers alway targeting where i might slipped even if not.

and its not about you or just me, i see all the replies on the forum consist of how am i to oppose .

anyways it is ok! but i am getting tired of saying something then trying to explain it and then trying to prove .

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

This is a big one for me:

Less chit-chat

Compare Sam & Max Hit the Road with the new Telltale series. Both are well written it’s just a shame that you are now forced to sit through hours of actors talking to each other. This is now a standard thing. I think it’s also linked to increased number of hotspots. You can now look at everything in most games, which is good in some ways but bad in others - you have to do it to solve some puzzles, meaning listening to the character telling us about everything on the screen. Which is a much less fluid and sometimes very tiresome experience.

On the upside, there are now the solitary Myst-like adventures, which have very little talking (but lots of reading).

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

ResurrectingContent

9.An inventory object held from that start would stay unusable until a certain point far at the game end (used to be a cliché).

20.NON-Interactive Surroundings hold clues sometimes ,some things can be seen there all the time and its for you to notice what are they represent and help without being clickable (hot-spots).

I am glad to see those two classic features were resurrected at Memoria ... I don’t remember confronting them at any of the new AGs I played for long while, but many things would have been as well added (of my list) and most of them (that i really missed) is
4.Always there are 1 or 2 puzzles that intended to be the crème de la crème that really bust your mind!!

and also this
15.At least 2-3 Puzzles there ,can be done at one phase without a must-do-order.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

An inventory object held from that start would stay unusable. Point. Smile

I can’t remember which games did that, but I’m sure there’re couple of instances I’ve been furious at authors for including some of the completely useless stuff in your inventory. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

like unstable/usable ordinance? SQIV Tongue
if then its not just furious , you can die! Sarcastic

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

diego - 26 September 2013 01:07 PM

I can’t remember which games did that, but I’m sure there’re couple of instances I’ve been furious at authors for including some of the completely useless stuff in your inventory. Grin

You mean like this?

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I have no tea too… uhm either?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 26 September 2013 01:07 PM

I just finished Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, where you acquire a picture of a young Mosely early on, and you never use it. While it may be a pretty obvious red herring, it’s still a red herring… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-03-30

PM

What a nice topic. Smile

11. Almost always the last puzzle that ends the game is terribly difficult.

In my mind, not all games have a huge difficult puzzle at the end. A lot rather have a swift succession of small ones, mainly if the story leads to a final situation of emergency, escape, purchase, fight, etc.
I like these ones, as it adds a certain tension until the denouement. (at the opposite of the main part of the game, when you take time to talk, think, etc.)

22. One (and only one) ending when you reach the end of the game.

I’m not really fond of multiple endings. When I finish a game, I like to think of it as an unique story, like a book.
I strongly prefer that the game offers a great non-linearity during the progression, but in my mind the end should be THE END. Please don’t see it as close-minded opinion, it’s like having a good meat with a nice wine sauce for dinner, and after finishing my plate, someone showing up to tell me “hey, before I bring the cheese, try these several little pieces of the same meat with Forestiere sauce, Pepper sauce, sauce grand veneur, etc.”. I would answer “No thanks, but keep them warm for the next time.” Grin

My 2-cents on these points. I mostly enjoy the great analyses read in the previous pages.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I hope this isn’t really offtopic - I was recently playing Primordia and the left click-interact and right click-examine seemed to be really counter-intuitive to me, at least from the perspective of having played a lot of classics where it makes sense to first examine stuff and only then use it.

Such as it is, seems to me like left-clicking objects and using them renders the right-click examine almost pointless/underused. Maybe okay in a gritty game like Primordia, but maybe not such a good idea in a more comedy-oriented game where you might get some enjoyment from the item descriptions. What do you guys think?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top