• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Opinions for those oldies?

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

Another questions for all-knowing adv gamers community. I’ve read some opinions from forum (mostly bad stuff about dead ends, pixel hunting, design…), looked scores here and in moby, but I’d like to see more thoughts - how are those old games? Worthwhile, good or not so, buggy etc.?

-In the Raven Shadow AKA In the Shadow of the Raven (Cinemax, 1999, eng text only?)

-Future Wars: Adventures in Time AKA Future Wars: Time Travellers (Delphine Software International, DOS CD-ver 1992)

-Cruise for a Corpse (Delphine Software International, 1991)

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Hmm, I haven’t played the first two you mentioned, but I did play Cruise for a Corpse way back when. I don’t know if I’d recommend it today, I remember it as rather mediocre with some poor translations (I believe it’s originally French, but I may be mistaken) and the music was very annoying. There’s no voice acting either (atleast there wasn’t in the version I had).

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Personally I think Future Wars is pretty bad. I certainly wouldn’t recommend it.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Cruise for a Corpse was really good but buggy. As I recall I couldn’t finish it due to a bug late in the game.

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

Well, you should be able to complete Cruise in ScummVM now, without any bugs. I own the cd version of Future Wars and no there is no voiced version of Cruise. Future Wars is also supported, so bugs in those are your least concern.

Future Wars has a pretty good story but the inventory and interface is annoyingly clunky. Cruise for a Corpse is medioce, but wothwhile if you are interested in adventure game history. Otherwise I would steer clear.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Future Wars is okayish game. It has deadends and couple of pretty annoying hotspot hunts. It’s one of those games which you can enjoy more with a walkthrough open, as it can be pretty frustrating. Also the UI is pretty faulty. It’s not a classic and it suffers from some bad design, but it worth at least one playthrough, if you can muster strenght for it.

Cruise For a Corpse is kind of a Colonel’s Bequest variation. You spend a lot of time evesdropping people, waiting for the clock to tick forward so you can find another clue or person to interrogate.  Not a bad game and definetly among the better Delphine adventures.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

lewuz - 29 March 2013 02:40 PM

-In the Raven Shadow AKA In the Shadow of the Raven (Cinemax, 1999, eng text only?)

Average at best, only praised for its (czech) dubbing. But “Ve stinu havrana” is quite short and easy game. So if you want, give it a try.

But DreamLand: Final Solution, Argo Adventure, The Fifth Disciple, Posel Bohu, Tlon, Horke Léto 1/2 are far better adventures (but i dont know, if they have any translation), if you want something old and from Czech Republic or Slovakia Smile.

Currently playing: Ever 17, The Space Bar

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2005-06-14

PM

Cruise for a Corpse is canny.

Reminds me a bit of The Last Express.

He gave me a cold, shocked stare as if I’d farted at a funeral.

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-03-30

PM

Time Travellers is the first point’n'click I played when I was a kid, on Atari 520ST.
I wouldn’t say it’s bad, I’d rather say it’s OLD. It’s one of the first point’n'click game, 1989.
This game is actually very good, but you might be annoyed by a unperfect gameplay : you can die and you can’t go back in some places. So if you forgot an object, you’ll be stuck and have to reload a savegame.
The rule was to frequently save your game, in order to avoid to start over…

Dag - 29 March 2013 02:47 PM

(I believe it’s originally French, but I may be mistaken)

You’re right.
This game was made by Delphine Software: Operation Stealth, Cruise for a Corpse, Another World, Flashback, Little Big Adventure, etc.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top