• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Possibility of a new Discworld game?

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2003-09-28

PM

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a464783/rhianna-pratchett-interested-in-a-new-discworld-game.html

Found this article this morning which has filled me with excitement. 

I hope this comes to fruition!

Laughing

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Let us just pray & hope that Shakira Rhianna won’t let the puzzle designer(s) from the 1995 game come anywhere near the new game production.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

zobraks - 12 March 2013 06:28 AM

Let us just pray & hope that Shakira Rhianna won’t let the puzzle designer(s) from the 1995 game come anywhere near the new game production.

Who would have thought someone with such a great memory for screenshots would have such a small ability and taste for puzzles? Tongue Those puzzles were some of the best we adventure gamers have ever seen.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Oscar - 12 March 2013 06:52 AM

we adventure gamers

You misspelled “masochists”.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

zobraks - 12 March 2013 06:55 AM
Oscar - 12 March 2013 06:52 AM

we adventure gamers

You misspelled “masochists”.

That’s my new sig! Smile

Well one thing is certain: If they make them like Dreamfall’s (non-existent) puzzles, they have lost at least one customer.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

“Now you’ve got the reinvigoration of adventure games with things like Kickstarter, I think players are becoming more interested in that genre again.”

I was always of the thought that if it were to ever come back in gaming form, it would have to be in a different genre ala KQ8/LSL. An action/adventure or platformer or something, I don’t know. Or a Discworld RTS! That quote from Ms. Pratchett, though, while hardly earth-shattering, is encouraging though.

A thought just occurred to me: I’d actually be all up for a Telltale Discworld series, actually.  That could be rather awesome. 

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I certainly hope Telltale stay far away from Discworld. A new game in the cartoony style could be interesting - personally not interested in anything remotely resembling Discworld Noir, though.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Agree with Kasper 100% (That’s got to be a first!)

Telltale have an annoying habit of sucking the life out of franchises they cover (Wallace & Gromit an exception).

Unlikely maybe, but I’d like a game in the Small Gods universe (my favorite Discworld novel). Mainly because I can only imagine Rincewind with Eric Idle and he’s too old now.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Oscar - 12 March 2013 08:35 AM

I can only imagine Rincewind with Eric Idle and he’s too old now.

And Rincewind (the character Eric Idle is supposed to play again) is fresh as a daisy. Gimme a break.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Oscar - 12 March 2013 08:35 AM

Telltale have an annoying habit of sucking the life out of franchises they cover (Wallace & Gromit an exception).

Pun intended?

I would like a telltale discworld adventure but right now they have to many things on their plate.
But I also don’t see who would approach Rhianna with a new adventure game proposal.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I agree with Kasper 100% too, allthough, that’s not a first Smile Give us a new discworld game with an artstyle similar to that of Discworld 2! I’d gladly donate my right pinkie to kickstarter for that (the only digit I don’t need playing the guitar (or computer-games)) Tongue I’m convinced that Eric Idle can reprise his role as Rincewind to perfection. I cencerely doubt that anyone else could do it better than him anyway, regardless of how old he may be today.

Also, Rhianna certainly knows how to write an engaging story. The new Tombraider is awesome!

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dag - 12 March 2013 12:05 PM

I’m convinced that Eric Idle can reprise his role as Rincewind to perfection. I cencerely doubt that anyone else could do it better than him anyway, regardless of how old he may be today.

As long as his vocal chords aren’t going, there’s no reason why he wouldn’t be able to do a great job as Rincewind again…

Edit: Nothing wrong with his voice, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

TimovieMan - 12 March 2013 01:25 PM
Dag - 12 March 2013 12:05 PM

I’m convinced that Eric Idle can reprise his role as Rincewind to perfection. I cencerely doubt that anyone else could do it better than him anyway, regardless of how old he may be today.

As long as his vocal chords aren’t going, there’s no reason why he wouldn’t be able to do a great job as Rincewind again…

Edit: Nothing wrong with his voice, imo.

What might put Rhianna off doing a Rincewind based game is the fact that her dad got tired of the character fairly early on in the series. As I’ve said elsewhere I really do think a good game could be built around the character of Susan Sto Hellit.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 214

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

I’d love to see another Discworld game; I actually started reading the books on the back of playing the first two.

Discworld 1 was my favourite; I loved the look and feel of it, but the puzzles were just too esoteric. It took me years to complete it, and only after the Internet arrived with its precious walkthroughs.

Discworld II I found enjoyable, but I was less keen on the art style, and the way they chose to map out Ankh-Mopork so differently. Travelling to other parts of the Disc, as well as Death’s domain, all helped to make it a great game.

Discworld Noir I just wasn’t a fan of, though maybe I should attempt to replay it now that I’m older. Originally I really wasn’t keen on the detective approach and lack of inventory puzzles.

I had no idea that Pratchett had a daughter, let alone that she was so involved in the video game industry. It would be great to get her on on board with a new title.

I see no reason why Eric Idle couldn’t voice Rincewind again, were he to be the titular character, but they had David Jason play Rincewind in a couple of the television adaptations, so really they could go any direction.

I’ve always felt that the Discworld would be a great setting for some form of RPG game, just because of the size of the established world, but I have no idea really how that would work in practice.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

A.A - 12 March 2013 08:02 AM

I was always of the thought that if it were to ever come back in gaming form, it would have to be in a different genre ala KQ8/LSL. An action/adventure or platformer or something, I don’t know. Or a Discworld RTS!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

A.A - 12 March 2013 08:02 AM

A thought just occurred to me: I’d actually be all up for a Telltale Discworld series, actually.  That could be rather awesome.

No No No No No NO NOOO

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

I love everything about the first Discworld game (sadistic puzzles notwithstanding) and would pay almost any amount to kickstart a game in its vein or even a remake.

(I do like the other two games but, like Jatsie, I find the art style of the second one a little off-putting. The Noir game is a fantastic game in its own right, the strongest in this category of the three, but I think it failed to capture the spirit of the novels.)

But it seems these things are some way off in the future - it seems Rhianna P. is fishing for propositions from game-company suitors and who knows whether they are interested and what they would propose. I can cotton to a Discworld RPG but everything else would be a travesty (an action-adventure in Tomb Raider’s style Foot in mouth).

A little OT:

She will instead be working with multimedia production company Narrativia and will co-write BBC TV series The Watch.

Very nice! I will be looking forward to this.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top