• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure games with physics

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2013-03-08

PM

I recently played a demo version of Eleusis which has at least some limited physics in that you can throw objects around. It was a short demo, so I don’t know if the game has actual physics based puzzles but while playing it occured to me how few adventure games have some sort of simulated physics. Simulated physics are not that uncommon in other genres nowadays and Ultima Underworld, which was released in the early nineties already allowed you to throw objects and have them break or bounce againts walls. But in the adventure game genre, where physics would make a lot of sense since it could allow for interesting puzzles, very few games have actually utilized any physics.

The obvious ones are the Penumbra games and Amnesia. Also the Portal games if you count them as adventure games and now apparently, at least to some extent Eleusis. Does anyone know of any more adventure games with physics?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you just missed to look under featured games/news on the main page

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Fien - 11 March 2013 05:42 PM

I did a general search. No results. I looked under reviews, previews, articles. Nothing. Why isn’t it in the game database? It’s impossible to find if you don’t already know where to look for it.

Let Google find it for you… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

why Google it when its at our beloved site ?! Tongue

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Advie - 11 March 2013 05:55 PM

why Google it when its at our beloved site ?! Tongue

Because the search engine here at our beloved site, (how shall i phrase this) isn’t as good as it could be.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

If it’s not an adventure game, why would it be in our adventure game database? Sure, we write about a few cross-genre games of interest occasionally, but that still doesn’t make them adventure games. 

Our search engine is actually very good, just extremely precise. And it only searches for games in our database, of course.

As for the original question, I’m pretty sure Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened had at least one physics-based puzzle.

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2004-02-16

PM

Conspiracies II: Lethal Networks.

Madre de Dios, es el Pollo Diablo!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Jackal - 11 March 2013 08:32 PM

Our search engine is actually very good, just extremely precise. And it only searches for games in our database, of course.

The problem is that it is a “Game Search” instead of being a freetext search engine. As such it might work very well, but sometimes we also need/want to make some text searches. It isn’t a big problem as we can often use google for this purpose.

Anyway this is way off-topic, so i will shut up now.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2013-03-08

PM

To bring the thread a little bit more on topic again. Crayon Physics Deluxe, while not an adventure game as such, is all about physics based puzzles.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top