• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Microïds game - The Inquisitor

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Monolith - 11 March 2013 08:10 AM

People will continue to argue that story is better, but a story is useless if its not portrayed well. Portrayal includes direction, graphics/visuals and flow. Not one great adventure game would work without its aesthetics.

You have just deleted all text adventures from AG history. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

just let not get drifted away with our Love for adventure Game (i hope am not interrupting this conversation) but The Cat lady would never appeal to any adventurer who pumped in on the genre within the last 10 years (for instance) or to be precise since after Syberia ,Still life and, Runaway and so on were out….. (*ahem that really needs a thread itself to discus the retro look against the well established) but we/ i know retro games was not appealing 5-6 year ago .. but to the fact the they started given better stories and Gameplaying and on the other side games Fenimore Fillmore’s or Art of Murder and so on ..  start to lose their magic even if their Graphics were wayyy better ..

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Monolith - 11 March 2013 07:03 AM

... aesthetically impressive graphics. You can make impressive graphics with few pixels. Shaders don’t make a game beautiful. They assist in making it a reality and more dynamic.

Certainly.

Sorry to tell you though, graphics have always been the cornerstone of Adventure Games.

Possibly just a bad choice of words, but I don’t see any way in which graphics are, or ever have been, the cornerstone of adventure games.

People will continue to argue that story is better, but a story is useless if its not portrayed well. Portrayal includes direction, graphics/visuals and flow. Not one great adventure game would work without its aesthetics.

Which surely gets us no further than “graphics are a (subjective) constituent part of the presentation of a story (or a game in general).”

Not one great adventure game would work without its aesthetics.

True of course, or at least it would not work in the same way, but in the context of an argument as to which is better; graphics or story (which is what you envisage unless I am mistaken) surely the question boils down simply to: Which is better; brilliant graphics/rubbish story, or brilliant story/rubbish graphics?

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Advie - 11 March 2013 08:25 AM

just let not get drifted away with our Love for adventure Game (i hope am not interrupting this conversation) but The Cat lady would never appeal any adventurer who pumped in on the genre within the last 10 years (for instance) or to be precise since after Syberia ,Still life and, Runaway and so on were out….. (*ahem that really needs a thread itself to discus the retro look against the well established) but we i know retro games was not appealing 5-6 year ago .. but to the fact the they started given better stories and Gameplaying and on the other side games Fenimore Fillmore’s or Art of Murder and so on ..  start to lose their magic even if their Graphics were wayyy better ..

I still believe that TCL is a bad example because it is not the most “traditional” adventure, the theme not available for everyone and it’s graphics while great (gruesome at times, but great artistically), are simple technologically speaking. Resonance is a much better example for retro gaming…. And I’m not so sure that the retro gaming is just a trend that didn’t exist some years ago. Everyone was as eager to try them as now, but the games themselves were not of the same quality (IMO). One more reason I believe that 2012 was one of the best years in adventure gaming.
The bottom line is that while graphics (or a visually apealing world in general) is not the most important part in an adventure game (and that’s why a game shouldn’t be judged from screenshots only, just it’s graphics like The Inquisitor), it has its importance as well. Would Riven had the same influence to people (me too) if it’s world used the graphics from the first Myst? Of course not, despite the great story/riddles.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sefir - 11 March 2013 08:50 AM

simple technologically speaking.

just Quoted Smile

And I’m not so sure that the retro gaming is just a trend that didn’t exist some years ago. Everyone was as eager to try them as now, but the games themselves were not of the same quality (IMO).

not a trend for sure but never as much successful and marketable as now.

One more reason I believe that 2012 was one of the best years in adventure gaming.

i am not sure if you mean the best year for a while or ever! ,because if its the latter it then it would be difficult for me to believe

Would Riven had the same influence to people (me too) if it’s world used the graphics from the first Myst? Of course not, despite the great story/riddles.

it speaks of the 6,000 000 budget difference Wink

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Oscar - 11 March 2013 01:40 AM

So I wouldn’t take anything from the graphics. If we go by the recent trends, a game with bad graphics is MORE likely to be good than one with the latest eye-popping visual candy (Resonance, Cat Lady and Primordia were highly praised and graphically poor)

I like the style of both Resonance, Cat Lady and Primordia (especially Primordia!) - they set out to achieve a certain style and feel and they succeed.

What is this game trying to achieve with its look? Shitty 3D circa 2001? If so I guess it’s successful.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m not quoting anyone, but saying “graphics doesn’t matter in adventure games” wouldn’t be quite accurate and would simplify things too much - I mean, would Monkey Island be the same game if it had these kind of graphics (by yours truly Smile):

(do you see that “airbrush” sky effect? neat, eh? Tongue)

But I agree with everyone that the beauty (pun not intended) of adventure games is that graphics is not the most important element. However, and more precisely, since graphics is there to support/bring to life story, puzzles…, what it really needs to achieve is to be of some artistic quality in its own right, if I’m making myself clear. For example, “To the Moon”, “Resonance”, “Primordia”, “Gemini Rue”... scored very high with critics also thanks to the graphics which were of high quality in the domain of “retry-styled” graphics. We might never know if they would be the same/better games if they had different/more modern graphics, but I guess no one cares since the game critics were highly favorable anyway.

BUT - I would be hypocritical if I didn’t say that I also wish type of graphics that will amaze and blew me away in some regards, like a distinctive style in The Curse of Monkey Island, The Whispered World, amazing locales in 1st-person games… which will of course need to work with the rest of the game elements.

That said, The Inquisitor is no-less “ugly” or “prettier” than your average indie game, it’s just that Microids picked it up, which might spruce up the graphics a bit for the final release.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

diego - 11 March 2013 09:36 AM

I’m not quoting anyone, but saying “graphics doesn’t matter in adventure games” wouldn’t be quite accurate and would simplify things too much - I mean, would Monkey Island be the same game if it had these kind of graphics (by yours truly Smile):

I don’t think anyone said that. What is being said (by me, at least) is that you don’t know that a game with awful graphics will be awful, or that a game with brilliant graphics will be brilliant.

There was a “Scene of the Day” a few days ago featuring Colonel’s Bequest. Several members here were horrified at the graphics, and yet it’s a game in the Top 100. There are many others like that, and the list I gave earlier in the thread of top graphical games of 2012 which turned out to be terrible is relevant too to the point i’m trying to make.

(do you see that “airbrush” sky effect? neat, eh? Tongue)

Beats the special edition by a country mile. Seriously! Smile

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Somehow I like it! I would gladly play a game with graphics hand-drawn a la 10th-year old child drawings along with riddles to emphasize the effect (for example you need a rope, the clouds are drawn like ropes, so you take the clouds instead).
Feel free to call me a madman…

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Sefir - 11 March 2013 10:27 AM

Somehow I like it! I would gladly play a game with graphics hand-drawn a la 10th-year old child drawings along with riddles to emphasize the effect (for example you need a rope, the clouds are drawn like ropes, so you take the clouds instead).
Feel free to call me a madman…

Sounds like Drawn. But I prefer diego’s style Grin

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Somehow I like it!

Zifnab - 11 March 2013 10:34 AM

But I prefer diego’s style Grin

Ok, I’ll be right back with a kickstarter…

I would gladly play a game with graphics hand-drawn a la 10th-year old child drawings along with riddles to emphasize the effect (for example you need a rope, the clouds are drawn like ropes, so you take the clouds instead).

Well that’s a BLOODY BRILLIA… I mean, it’s a good idea. Of course, that’s exactly what I had in mind. I can already smell the kickstarter campaign’s success. Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Intense Degree - 11 March 2013 08:38 AM

Sorry to tell you though, graphics have always been the cornerstone of Adventure Games.

Possibly just a bad choice of words, but I don’t see any way in which graphics are, or ever have been, the cornerstone of adventure games.

I agree, the graphics have never been the cornerstone.

Which surely gets us no further than “graphics are a (subjective) constituent part of the presentation of a story (or a game in general).”

Which is actually a quite good description of what the graphics mean.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

True of course, or at least it would not work in the same way, but in the context of an argument as to which is better; graphics or story (which is what you envisage unless I am mistaken) surely the question boils down simply to: Which is better; brilliant graphics/rubbish story, or brilliant story/rubbish graphics?

Obviously neither since the best Adventure games had excellent graphics and brilliant story. lol Everyone has the need to say that such opposites are true, but it isn’t. Like I said, graphics == aesthetics. If Gabriel Knight 3 had better graphics, it would of been a better game. By better, I would say it should of been 2D as it would probably benefit better with a sustainable technology and not attempting to be bleeding edge tech.

Also Text Adventures is a terrible argument since they don’t have graphics. That’s like comparing comics to shakespeare. You don’t compare two completely different things.

Also I want to point out that practically every adventure game flaunted its ‘technological prowess’ on its boxes and promotional material. lol ‘REALISTIC 3D GRAPHICS’ (Kings Quest 4)

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Monolith - 11 March 2013 04:27 PM

Also Text Adventures is a terrible argument since they don’t have graphics. That’s like comparing comics to shakespeare. You don’t compare two completely different things.

Seems like the perfect argument to counter a contention that graphics have always been the cornerstone of adventure games.

Text adventures are adventure games, yet have NO graphics. That completely invalidates the notion that graphics have always been a cornerstone of adventure games. How is that a terrible argument? Sounds like a pretty basic, and devestatingly effective, argument to me.

I presume what you really mean is that graphics have always been a cornerstone of adventure games that have graphics. Which may be true, depending on the meaning of “cornerstone” in that statement. If it means “very important part”, I’d say it it surely true, if a bit obvious. If it means “the MOST important part”, I’d say it’s rather debateable (a statement that, I fully acknowledge, is also kind of obvious, given the fact that that meaning has already been debated quite a bit right here).  Grin

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gamers who support Microtransactions are to blame for the model.
Gamers who support and buy DLC and Cut content are to blame for the model.
Gamers who buy auto games are to blame for all autopilot games saturation.
Adventure gamers who buy and support such aesthetics and weak stories in other
ADV games are to blame for Adventure genre lag against other genres.

Indie games like Hotline Miami and Lone survivor with pixelated look way better
than this, and i bet this game wont be able to meet the narrative of the mentioned
titles, look at Kentucky Route, its just talent and smart use of minimal tools.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top