• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DinahPence

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tired of pixel art, any recommendations?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’ve always said adventure games don’t have to look very good as long as they’re great to play. In spite of its minimal art style Edna & Harvey is one of my alltime favorites. Eye candy is nice of course but not necessary. I’ve just finished 3 games with pixel art (The Case of the Golden Idol - The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow - Beyond the Edge of Owlsgard) and I enjoyed all three very much.

But then I played beautiful Boxville. No pixels! Cool Very short game, so I’m looking for something more solid to play. I have Norco and Lucy Dreaming installed, and I will play them, but not right now. Any recommendations? It’s becoming harder these days to find excellent non-pixelated games with characters that can show facial expressions.

EDIT: I’d like recommendations for recent adventures.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Karlok - 29 January 2023 07:52 AM

Any recommendations? It’s becoming harder these days to find excellent non-pixelated games with characters that can show facial expressions.

EDIT: I’d like recommendations for recent adventures.

I think you are asking almost impossible, as you have so many requirements there.
Recent release date, excellent game, and even facial expressions.

A game that would check all those boxes is really hard to find, and if such game actually exists, then you probably already know about it.

But anyway, a game that I brought up in another thread is Breakout 13.
I don’t know if FMV games qualify, but at least it’s not pixel art, it’s very recent, released this year, actually the second half is coming in February, and probably you can see facial expressions a lot.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2095300/13/

For the record, I haven’t played this game yet, but reviews seem to be very positive.

EDENGATE: The Edge of Life has at least relatively nice graphics, whether it’s a good game or not, I again can’t say because I haven’t played it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1414650/EDENGATE_The_Edge_of_Life/

Space Adventure - Escape from Siphilus 1b sounds very interesting, but it has currently 0 customer reviews, so the quality can’t even be guessed at this point (unless the lack of reviews speaks for something).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2112530/Space_Adventure__Escape_from_Siphilus_1b/

Those are the only ones that I know released in the last six months that even remotely meet your criteria. Maybe someone else has a better tracking for those kind of games?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Thanks, I will have a look at your recommendations.

BTW facial expressions are certainly not required. I also love the lonely 1st-person explorations in Mystian games. But it struck me while I was playing the 3 games I mentioned that I kind of missed them.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Have you played The Forgotten City?

There’s some dexterity involved in playing the game, but nothing impossible. A Groundhog Day loop in an ancient Roman city.
I finished it a couple of weeks ago, and I loved the Groundhog Day loop concept (where every time you relive the same day gives you more information in solving the mystery). In fact, I loved the concept so much that I bumped The Outer Wilds significantly higher in my list of games to play…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ah yes, the Forgotten City. Thanks for reminding me. I have it and tried it for maybe 20 minutes. It didn’t appeal to me, don’t know why, and I put it on the backburner. I’ll give it another try, 20 minutes is not long enough.

And I’ll repeat that you should The Case of the Golden Idol a try. It’s not Obra Dinn, but it’s good.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 29 January 2023 12:19 PM

Ah yes, the Forgotten City. Thanks for reminding me. I have it and tried it for maybe 20 minutes. It didn’t appeal to me, don’t know why, and I put it on the backburner. I’ll give it another try, 20 minutes is not long enough.

And I’ll repeat that you should The Case of the Golden Idol a try. It’s not Obra Dinn, but it’s good.

I know. I take your recommendations to heart. Haven’t really been disappointed yet…

I have to get over the ugliness of the screenshots, though. Crazy

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I can only think of one game that dots all your i’s and crosses all your t’s and is also a recent game is, unfortunately a game you’ve already played. Syberia 4.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2019-08-12

PM

I really enjoyed The Silent Sky and Nine Noir Lives. Both are very different from each other, story and visual-wise, not pixel artsy, maybe NNL has more facial expressions, haha.

The Silent Sky
It really appealed to me and was charming in so many ways. I liked its rather realistic approach to visuals, sci-fi, which has a promising and intriguing story.
+ Visuals and animations
+ Story got me very hooked
+ Good voice-overs
- Rather short

Nine Noir Lives
Besides its overly full of kitties, it has a really nice vibe and atmosphere, the story is very interesting and flows very nicely from the start to the finish. Cartoony style, in the world of kitties.
+ Long gameplay
+ Voice-overs well done
+ Great story
+ Visually captivating

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

What about Stray? My cat is eager for playing it, although I told him that he will have to wait for a new laptop in order to play properly…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

@rtrooney: I don’t know where you got the idea I have played Syberia 4. You may remember I’m not really a fan of the Syberia games. But #4 has had so many positive reviews that I might play it at some point.

@Gabriel Cash: Nine Noir Lives looks like a game I might enjoy. I love noir and playing detective. The graphics are good too.

@walas: Stray is a beautiful and immersive game, I played it last year.

Thanks everybody!

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Have you played Ceville? I think it’s one of the funniest games I’ve played. Colorful PS2 era quality graphics, pretty good puzzles, very cute story and characters. Usually less than a dollar on GOG, too.

Mage’s Initiation is another good one that I think went overlooked by a lot of people, despite being from the company that made the excellent King’s Quest and QFG II remakes. Hand painted backgrounds, so not pixel art.

Disco Elysium, if it somehow passed you by, is top-notch stuff. Takes a couple of hours to get going, but then it is almost impossibly absorbing.

Hector: Badge of Carnage was very funny, very irreverent, and had surprisingly quality gameplay to boot.

Irony Curtain was a somewhat recent very enjoyable game with a good story, unique plot and setting, likeable characters, and solid puzzle design.

I recently played the old game Normality, which maybe the first full 3d smooth scrolling first person adventure game. Pretty good, although there’s a little too much gosh darned pixel hunting and my interest started waning in the last 1/4 of the game. Weird enough to be worth a go.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Baron_Blubba - 30 January 2023 01:21 PM

Have you played Ceville?

I recently played the old game Normality

I don’t want to speculate too much on what the OP wants, but the games you mention are 14 years and 26 years old, respectively, so I don’t think that qualifies for “recent” by any definition (even if the OP doesn’t specify any time frame for that).

Like I sort of indirectly said, it’s easy to think of games to recommend, but it’s very hard to think of any recent ones which are considered excellent and have the kind of graphical style that is wanted here, and are somehow considered to be traditional adventures.

You can kind of get something if it’s like two out of three match, but something that covers everything is very difficult.

If we relax the recent to cover the last five years, and relax the genre to cover also action adventures, there would be almost too many games to choose from. But within the definition that is given, very difficult.

And if we relax the graphical style (which would be really pointless in this thread Tongue ) then we would have hundreds of games to discuss here!

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Ah, I missed the recent part.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Baron_Blubba - 30 January 2023 01:21 PM

Disco Elysium, if it somehow passed you by, is top-notch stuff. Takes a couple of hours to get going, but then it is almost impossibly absorbing.

I can vouch for this!

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

When I was doing the solo playthrough I thought for sure that you mentioned you had played it. I was wrong.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Jenny Leclu Detectivu?

By the way, if you don’t mind wild and dark humour, I would recommend an Spanish adventure game: The Revenge of Johnny Bonasera. Four chapters of extravagant characters and very good puzzles:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/6130/Johnny_Bonasera_1__2__3__4/

Each chapter is better than the previous one.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top