• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Heroine’s Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok - now on Steam

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2013-02-23

PM

Crystal Shard is proud to announce the release of Heroine’s Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok, available for FREE download!

Heroine’s Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok is an adventure / RPG hybrid. Like in many adventure games, you have a world to save, and must use your wit, guile and inventory to puzzle your way through. Like in many roleplaying games, you can customize your character with various classes and skills, and must train yourself in combat to stand a chance against the fierce monsters in your way.

The game is designed in the spirit and atmosphere of the classics, and strives to have the same high quality of art, music, and plot. With multiple character classes and several solutions to many puzzles, the game has excellent replayability.

Features:

- Explore the rich world of Norse mythology!
- Three character classes with separate side quests: use your strength as a warrior, the arcane arts as a sorceress, wit and guile as a rogue, or create a hybrid with skills from multiple classes.
- 32 distinct voice acted characters with animated portraits.
- Over 100 hand-painted backgrounds and 10,000 sprites in animations.
- Many monsters, including giants, trolls, and svartalfar.
- High replayability due to optional quests, alternative solutions, and the three different classes.

Available for download from http://www.crystalshard.net/hq.htm .
Also available on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/283880

Trailer available at:

Voices preview teaser:

Soundtrack: http://www.indiedb.com/games/heroines-quest/downloads/heroines-quest-soundtrack

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about Heroine’s Quest when speaking of the QFG-style resurgence. Smile

I still haven’t played A Tale of Two Kingdoms, but it looked great and as one of the better indie titles, so I’m looking forward to Heroine’s Quest as well.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2012-11-10

PM

Heroine’s Quest looks amazing.  While there are a handful of QfG-like titles, I believe that Heroine’s Quest most matches the style and tone of the originals.  It also sounds like a really interesting story, and I can’t wait to get into it!

Thanks for sharing the trailer!

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-08-23

PM

How different will this game be from your previous ‘A Tale of Two Kingdoms’?
The trailer looks AMAZING, but I downloaded aToTK and unfortunately that game wasn’t my cup of tea.

Joined 2013-02-23

PM

Thanks for the positive feedback on the trailer!

From a gameplay point of view, the RPG elements will make Heroine’s Quest quite a bit more different to ATOTK. Like in QFG, you can play a warrior, sorceress, and rogue, and these will have different moves to use in combat. Also, this can affect the way you deal with puzzles and situations.

ATOTK has multiple endings which include lesser endings and is a lot more open ended. HQ has optional side quests, but doesn’t follow this same format (so it is still possible to get a satisfying ending).

HQ also has more humour than ATOTK, as well as moral choices and better character development.

From a technical perspective, it is a bigger sized game, a lot more animations and rooms, and (imo) looks a lot better than ATOTK.

Joined 2013-02-23

PM

And for anyone who is interested, we have just released a small teaser showing some of the characters and voices in the game:

Enjoy!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The voices sound really professional.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

Really impressive. How much did this game cost to make if you didn’t Kickstart it? Makes me wonder just how much money some of these projects NEED to finish a game when this appears to be a fun and polished looking game made at low cost(?).

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Stuart - 06 August 2013 02:26 PM

Really impressive. How much did this game cost to make if you didn’t Kickstart it? Makes me wonder just how much money some of these projects NEED to finish a game when this appears to be a fun and polished looking game made at low cost(?).

No money at all.  They did this for the love of the game making process and for the love of this type of adventure game.  A game like this would need a budget of at LEAST a few hundred thousand in order to pay its staff a reasonable full-time wage.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Lambonius - 06 August 2013 04:17 PM
Stuart - 06 August 2013 02:26 PM

No money at all.  They did this for the love of the game making process and for the love of this type of adventure game.  A game like this would need a budget of at LEAST a few hundred thousand in order to pay its staff a reasonable full-time wage.

Except it didn’t need it. Which means all the kickstarters telling us how they “need” all this money are outright lies.

“All you need is love…”  Heart
-Zifnab the Great and Powerful

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 06 August 2013 04:39 PM

Except it didn’t need it. Which means all the kickstarters telling us how they “need” all this money are outright lies.

Not really. Most game developers want actually get paid for the work they do and not do it as a hoppy. Besides money helps to finish faster, Heroine’s Quest has been in development for god know how long.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

tomimt - 06 August 2013 04:41 PM
Zifnab - 06 August 2013 04:39 PM

Not really. Most game developers want actually get paid for the work they do and not do it as a hoppy. Besides money helps to finish faster, Heroine’s Quest has been in development for god know how long.

They do get paid. When they make the game and sell it. If it doesn’t sell, they know they’ve done a bad job. This whole Kickstarter trend means getting paid based on your advertizing ability instead of results. That’s a bad, bad thing.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Zifnab - 06 August 2013 04:45 PM

They do get paid. When they make the game and sell it. If it doesn’t sell, they know they’ve done a bad job. This whole Kickstarter trend means getting paid based on your advertizing ability instead of results. That’s a bad, bad thing.

Heh…you have a gross misunderstanding of how salaries work.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I don’t care how salaries work. You haven’t told me why developers think they are entitled to a salary. I play a little bit of keyboard and guitar: I don’t think I should get a salary for it.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Everybody has to eat!

You can either make a game in your spare time while working a full time job, or you can work a full time job making games.

That is basically the difference between professionals and amateurs. Sometimes we can get some great games from amateurs, but if you want a steady flow of high quality games we need professionals.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

No, you don’t. The best games I’ve played in the last 10 years have been from the so-called “amateurs”, while the “professionals” keep producing rubbish like Haunted, LSL Reloaded and Jack Keane 2.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top