• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tony Warriner’s new book about the history of Revolution Software (Broken Sword, Beneath a Steel Sky) is now live on Kickstarter!

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

Hello to all my fellow adventure gamers!

For most of 2022, I’ve been working with Revolution Software programmer and co-founder Tony Warriner on his book about the history of the studio, covering the making of point-and-click classics such as Beneath a Steel Sky and Broken Sword:

For anyone who is interested in learning more about this project, the Kickstarter page is now live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tonywarriner/revolution-the-quest-for-game-development-greatness

I would also be happy to answer any questions! Smile

UPDATE: For those who missed the Kickstarter, there are a limited number of copies still available via the following link:

https://tonywarriner.gumroad.com/

I am the founder of Alternative Magazine Online - a UK website offering alternative views on films, games, books, music and more! I am also currently working with Revolution Software co-founder/programmer Tony Warriner on ‘Revolution: The Quest for Game Development Greatness’ - now live on Kickstarter!

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2022-01-07

PM

Backed it! Smile

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Also backed Thumbs Up

Life is what it is.

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

Thanks for backing the Kickstarter inklingwood and Jabod!

I’m really excited for people to read this book, as a lot of the studio’s history hasn’t been revealed until now. It also covers several games that were never released, such as Good Cop Bad Cop, and includes the original handwritten Beneath a Steel Sky design document.

I am the founder of Alternative Magazine Online - a UK website offering alternative views on films, games, books, music and more! I am also currently working with Revolution Software co-founder/programmer Tony Warriner on ‘Revolution: The Quest for Game Development Greatness’ - now live on Kickstarter!

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

An interesting idea, but isn’t £25 for a PDF a bit too pricey?

I know that Kickstarter isn’t about finding cheapest book deals, but I don’t recall any other campaign having such a high-priced downloadable PDF.

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

UPDATE: We are now 100% funded on Kickstarter with 25 days still left to go.  Smile

Tony has also posted an update sharing some examples of really cool character concepts from Broken Sword 1 that we’ll be adding to the book:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tonywarriner/revolution-the-quest-for-game-development-greatness/posts/3613291

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

Written by Tony Warriner, employee number one and co-founder of Revolution Software, with a foreword by Charles Cecil, this epic book tells the untold behind-the-scenes story of this much-loved game developer.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tonywarriner/revolution-the-quest-for-game-development-greatness/description

I feel so honoured to be involved with this project. Thank you to everyone who has backed the book so far - I can’t wait for you all to read it!

Also, Rolf Saxon (the iconic voice of George Stobbart in Broken Sword) has backed the project and recorded a video message for the backers!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tonywarriner/revolution-the-quest-for-game-development-greatness/posts/3625055

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sorry. This post implies that there is a universal interest in this. And, therefor, we should pony up some $ to see that the book gets published. Me? Sorry. I have zero interest, and won’t be contributing. But I wish you the best of luck getting funds from those that don’t think like me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5596

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I supported this Kickstarter.  The books have been printed and will be sent out fairly soon.  I’m looking forward to reading it.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

My copy arrives tomorrow Lady K.
It was always likely that I’d get my copy before you received yours as I’m in the UK although Tony did say that he’s sending them out in backer order. Just so that you know roughly where you are regarding that I was backer number 184 of 619.
I’ll do a flying review tomorrow or Friday but that will basically be about quality with a fuller review some time in the future once read.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Arrived a few minutes ago.
Overall quality is excellent. Heavy duty paper for the pages, solid card for the cover, and the slipcase is well constructed although I’m a tad surprised that the Title/Author is on the left side and not on the back but that could be down to me being right-handed I suppose. Minor quibble, if that, really, and easily ignored. A good font and font size used (EB Garamond) so easily readable. Read a bit of the intro and the writing style appears to flow nicely, albeit only a small sample perused obviously.

It does appear though that I’ve upset Martin Mini Frown and I don’t know why or how. Why do I think I’ve upset him? He’s declined to sign my copy Embarassed Tony signed it, in fact twice as there’s a note with the book, signed along with the fly page signature.
Mind you this could be a plus for whoever inherits my stuff when I snuff it. As there’s only the 1,000 printed (and that’s it) it could become a collector’s item sometime in the future and mine could be the only one with only the one signature!  Gasp
There’s always a way to see good things in everything   Tongue

For those here still waiting for their copy it’s definitely something to look forward to Thumbs Up

Life is what it is.

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

Jabod - 13 April 2023 10:23 AM

It does appear though that I’ve upset Martin Mini Frown and I don’t know why or how. Why do I think I’ve upset him? He’s declined to sign my copy Embarassed Tony signed it, in fact twice as there’s a note with the book, signed along with the fly page signature.
Mind you this could be a plus for whoever inherits my stuff when I snuff it. As there’s only the 1,000 printed (and that’s it) it could become a collector’s item sometime in the future and mine could be the only one with only the one signature!  Gasp
There’s always a way to see good things in everything   Tongue

For those here still waiting for their copy it’s definitely something to look forward to Thumbs Up

Hey, Jabod! First of all, once again, thank you so much for backing the book - I couldn’t be happier that your first impression was so positive. Have you had a chance to read it properly since your last post? Second, please believe me when I say that you definitely haven’t upset me! I recently went on a trip to Hull and signed hundreds of books, but I think there were one or two boxes that Tony brought back to his flat to send out that were unsigned by mistake, so he simply added his sig (and I wasn’t there to add mine). My mother-in-law was one of those people, so I had to sign hers in person! So, in that sense, you probably do have a slightly rarer copy! I would love to hear your further thoughts on the book, and please accept my sincerest apologies for the missing signature!

PS: Where are you based btw? Smile

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Hi Marty.
As I’m sure that you’re aware the missing signature bit was very much tongue in cheek but, sadly, from your explanation mine isn’t the only copy so missing. Future value plummets by 50%  Gasp Grin

Reading the book - it’s the next on my list. I’ve been reading a couple of series of thrillers/comedy thrillers and I need a break and “Revolution” fits the bill nicely. Probably be starting Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Further update(s) after that point.

Where I live is in a small, semi-rural, town on the edge of Saddleworth which, in turn, is on the edge of the Pennines. Great setting for a P ‘n C Adventure game Wink

Life is what it is.

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

Jabod - 06 May 2023 05:32 AM

Hi Marty.
As I’m sure that you’re aware the missing signature bit was very much tongue in cheek but, sadly, from your explanation mine isn’t the only copy so missing. Future value plummets by 50%  Gasp Grin

Reading the book - it’s the next on my list. I’ve been reading a couple of series of thrillers/comedy thrillers and I need a break and “Revolution” fits the bill nicely. Probably be starting Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Further update(s) after that point.

Where I live is in a small, semi-rural, town on the edge of Saddleworth which, in turn, is on the edge of the Pennines. Great setting for a P ‘n C Adventure game Wink

I was 99% sure you were being tongue in cheek haha! But even so, I wish my signature had been included in your copy of the book…

It really is a small world isn’t it. Saddleworth is only down the road from me (well, an hour and a half down the M62). Do me a massive favour and send me a private message with your name/address and I’ll pop a signed Revolution postcard in the post to you with the message of your choice (and it won’t be one that’s for sale - future value skyrockets!).

My only condition is that you let me know what you think once you’ve finished reading the book (and please, there’s no rush). Deal?  Smile

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

PM sent Marty and thanks for the kind offer. Deal accepted but one thing that I forgot to mention in the PM is that I’ll be posting review(s) here as I wouldn’t want to deprive the readership the chance to enjoy my wit, intellect, perspicacity and all-round greatness (no vomiting out there if you don’t mind!) although I will drop you a PM to notify you when I do.
I’ve just though of a potential problem Frown Isn’t there some sort of legislation about crimes to literature? Oh well, time will tell Grin

Life is what it is.

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

No problem - I’ve just replied to your private message, thank you!

I will look forward to hearing your further thoughts about the book, enjoy. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top