• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Top AGs that just don’t hold up anymore

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you have your way with your words being a bit over the top Gatekeeper, Wink i respect that, but there is no way SQ4 can be the worst. maybe the fifth could be better, maybe it comes even third on the SQ-Pyramid, but, No, never the worst.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I was surprised at how different the games are.

I played the Space Quest 6 Demo as a kid and I thought it was amazing.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

SQ6 has the greatest start and ending, with a long very boring (the shuttle) part in between.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Advie - 06 July 2022 06:54 PM

SQ6 has the greatest start and ending, with a long very boring (the shuttle) part in between.

This is my favorite. Probably because my friend Josh Mandel was involved. Many references to his Chicago roots can be seen in the street scenes. The game was great up to the final 3D maze puzzle. A puzzle, Josh told me, could not be solved by the puzzle’s creator without referencing the original design documents.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

GateKeeper - 06 July 2022 04:36 PM
Jdawg445 - 06 July 2022 12:48 PM

Also pretty much all space Quest games besides 4. I think space quest four is the only game that holds up actually.

I couldn’t disagree more.
I think it’s the worst game in the series.

Some things are OK, of course, like the technical stuff, it still looks quite good.

But gameplay-wise, it’s terrrible.
Within the first few moments in the game you can cause a dead-end, which lets you to play the game almost through, but never complete it.

There are things like a maze with a deadly timer, and the Sequel Police that shoots automatically if you get seen.
And that zero-g swimming with bad controls and those cops after you, it frustrates every time almost to the point of rage-quitting.

There’s obviously some humour in the game, but at least two entire game locations are more or less meaningless to players who haven’t played the original first Space Quest, or heard about Leather Goddesses of Phobos.

That self-referencing in my opinion is funny in theory, but it doesn’t quite translate into a good game.
Some other games in the series have much more focused comedy. The first game is a good take on the original Star Wars. The fifth game is a great parody about Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Lol you are correct i mean 5, where you become a captain. That is the one i love.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

The top 100 poll really made me think about games which don’t hold up any more.

I originally had KQV and SQIV, but were they only there because they were the first Quests I played? Part of me thinks they were great, and could go to lengths justifying it; others (like Gatekeeper) thinks they sucked.

The 7th Guest is one I really don’t think holds up. The navigation and FMV were groundbreaking back then. Now they’re nothing special, and the standalone minigames would now be tedious and annoying, especially with Stauf’s voice commenting on everything you do. It would be fun to see a Gen Y or Z-er playing for the first time and their reaction would NOT be pretty (I’m sure vids are out there).

Maybe that should be the “test” for whether it holds up - do the younger gens still think it’s great? I have doubts anything would hold up, just like Colossal Cave Adventure and Zork weren’t my cup of tea and outdated when I was just discovering adventure games in the 90s.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Any game that has some random event you need not to miss, in order to “win” it (or get the good ending, or whatever), like Maniac Mansion, or games with ridiculously obscure decisions that are needed for progression, like Shadow of the Comet, for example.

When I was a teen, I could deal with this, but as a working adult with other interests - it simply seems like a very mean way to waste someone’s precious time.

Don’t get me wrong, I still consider these games good and atmospheric (and the two I named are random examples of many games that used this tactics), but they definitely aren’t holding up as well as they did before.

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2022-07-03

PM

i think games like myst are divisive as therye technically exploration games.its not the level of a walking simulator but its not got the interaction of a classic adventure.i never got the appeal as i generally like a purpose for things.its close to the interactive novel in terms of just what is an adventure game.the new sherlock chap 1 for me is rpg.i also hate the deliberate pixelization in games,i can see fit to accept indie budgets but by choice i dont see it evoke any bond to character from me.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top