• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Top AGs that just don’t hold up anymore

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I noticed as it had been discussed at the thread leading to the top 100 votes - The Top 100 what changes would you make? -, members are somehow leaning toward choosing their games without their baggies from history and given-known glory, which is very very nice..

need to credit Charophycean for making that thread in the first place, and Gatekeeper for adopting the point of the games being capable of ‘running on modern machines’ or being playable today.

so i thought i can bring up this topic to go along with our top-100-thread.

Grim Fandango, somehow lost its glare, and simply bc i tried to replay two times in the last 20 years and i couldn’t get past the third year/chapter, i could never really tell why, but it seems the first two were so GREAT that the game slightly feels incoherent afterward, and how can i have an adventure in my top list that i can not finish.

on the other side of the coin, DotT would not seem immersive for non-Americans, but that is not the case, i still get the humor (almost every time) and never had trouble enjoying each replay.

if that is not a thing to you maybe just move along.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

It’s a good question.

This is maybe a little controversial: King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow. It’s often lauded as the best in the series and many aspects are really beautiful, but as a game.. dead-ends without warning, a terrible maze and a pretty boring protagonist.

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2018-02-08

PM

Sam&Max; hit the road. It’s based upon a type of humor that felt really fresh and exciting back in the early 90’s, but mostly feel krass or bland now. Well, could be just me getting old though.

Message #43

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

What do you laugh about now? A few games offer nice humor without trying hard, but the only two games I had to laugh out loud more recently were Sam & Max VR and Trover saves the Universe. You might smile here and there whilst playing games like Floor Plan 2 or Little Misfortune but that’s it. Film related it’s easier to find funny stuff.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

meteor - 05 July 2022 03:11 PM

What do you laugh about now?

The Darkside Detective is one of the funniest games ever made.

Going back a little bit Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please! are super funny too.

Sam & Max was always kind of amusing, but I never thought it was even as funny as some of the other games of the same era.
Telltale version of Sam & Max had few gags, but overall not that funny.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I replayed Hit the Road some weeks ago and found it as funny as ever, both verbal and visual humour work extremely well. Have to agree on Grim Fandango though, also played it recently, but stopped after Year 2, and even that part often felt tedious as I spent a lot if time just running through empty screens trying to figure out how to get from point A to point B or what to do next. Grim’s writing/gameplay worked much better for me back in the 1990s.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Vegetable Party - 05 July 2022 01:30 PM

This is maybe a little controversial: King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow. It’s often lauded as the best in the series and many aspects are really beautiful, but as a game.. dead-ends without warning, a terrible maze and a pretty boring protagonist.

i have to agree, but to little portions of the game, could be boring and tedious, like 5 gnomes questions could be tedious and esp. for a first-time play, but upon replay, you always know that need to do some digging before approaching them.

i know this is not about replaying a game and how it feels then, so that shouldn’t be my argument, but what i am trying to say, is that the whole game does not have this tediousness tied into it, just a small couple of portions, plus it is the easiest King Quest of them all.

Kelvin and the Infamous Machine, had me crying in tears, by the way, the first two chapters esp.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I feel that there are plenty of older games I’m not super eager to replay, fearing they’d lost their charm. But because of that (and because of time limits) I mostly haven’t played them, so I can’t be sure.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I actually played KQ6 a lot later than most as the game was before my time when it came out, had the complete opposite reaction. I’d heard so much stigma regarding Sierra games about unforgiving design, deaths, dead ends, frustrations, etc. I’m sure that reputation is earned in other games but concerning KQ6 it was so overblown.

All the deaths I can remember are telegraphed well enough, the only “dead end” I encountered locked me out of the best ending but I could still finish the game, I even had fun mapping out the maze.

I save often as a habit in adventure games because I like to go back and replay individual scenes, so I never lost much progress. And once you know what to do regaining progress is as fast as can be, I replayed the whole game afterward to get the good ending in 40 minutes. Plus I don’t play many of those fairytale fantasy style adventure games, so it was actually a refreshing change of pace to play such a traditional story that was just done very well.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

@advie: it has so many great scenes and after @planetX advocating it, I may have to reconsider.

@PlanetX: your dedication to adventuring and ability to resist FOMO are commendable.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

millenia - 05 July 2022 05:27 PM

I feel that there are plenty of older games I’m not super eager to replay, fearing they’d lost their charm. But because of that (and because of time limits) I mostly haven’t played them, so I can’t be sure.

That’s a great overview of something a lot of us are thinking. I think I dropped 6 games from my Top 100 list of 48 because, on replay, I didn’t enjoy them. There are others that, using your words, I’m afraid to play lest they come up short vis a vis my memories of then.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

I can listen to great music in a loop or watch a good movie a couple of times, but I’ve replayed only a tiny fraction of adventures. Playing new stuff, other games or doing something completely different is more fun. If you watch a walkthrough, memories come back quickly and you can judge if a game still would be something for you.

@GateKeeper
Thanks. I find Sam & Max funnier though.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Ive always thought grim fandago was a tale of 2 halves. Great to very sub par.

Pretty much all telltale games. Some have better stories than others but the gameplay has always been lacking for years and years and years

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Also pretty much all space Quest games besides 4. I think space quest four is the only game that holds up actually. it’s the closest to something like Galaxy Quest or the first couple seasons of Orville where there’s enough seriousness with the comedy, that makes 4 a compelling game overall.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Jdawg445 - 06 July 2022 12:48 PM

Also pretty much all space Quest games besides 4. I think space quest four is the only game that holds up actually.

I couldn’t disagree more.
I think it’s the worst game in the series.

Some things are OK, of course, like the technical stuff, it still looks quite good.

But gameplay-wise, it’s terrrible.
Within the first few moments in the game you can cause a dead-end, which lets you to play the game almost through, but never complete it.

There are things like a maze with a deadly timer, and the Sequel Police that shoots automatically if you get seen.
And that zero-g swimming with bad controls and those cops after you, it frustrates every time almost to the point of rage-quitting.

There’s obviously some humour in the game, but at least two entire game locations are more or less meaningless to players who haven’t played the original first Space Quest, or heard about Leather Goddesses of Phobos.

That self-referencing in my opinion is funny in theory, but it doesn’t quite translate into a good game.
Some other games in the series have much more focused comedy. The first game is a good take on the original Star Wars. The fifth game is a great parody about Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

GateKeeper - 06 July 2022 04:36 PM

There are things like a maze with a deadly timer, and the Sequel Police that shoots automatically if you get seen.
And that zero-g swimming with bad controls and those cops after you, it frustrates every time almost to the point of rage-quitting.

this is worse on modern systems - you really have to tweak something like the run cycles in dosbox and just will Roger through this section of the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top