• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Best cat puzzles

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

LittleRose - 15 May 2022 07:17 AM

It’s only a moon logic solution to me if no knowledge or ingame logic in the (real or fictional) world can help me figure it out on my own.

That’s how I understand moon logic as well. It’s just the kind of logic that makes no sense in any context, only in the developer’s own head. The in-game logic is usually referred to just like that: the game logic. Of course, different people might consider different puzzles as “making no sense”. Like your example with the skunk puzzle above - I never watched those cartoons, so I only solved it by pure luck. But then I found the whole premise of the Eddisons being terrified of skunks rather silly.

Another example is from Feeble Files I played recently: Feeble needs to fly his bike (that’s ok, the game takes place in space), but he doesn’t want to leave while wearing a lab coat. There’s no other clothes around, so this premise already sounds strange. Still Feeble finds a small doll in a leather jacket, puts it into a broken teleport (and that’s exactly how the thing is introduced: a broken teleport) which… enlarges it to Feeble’s own surprise, he puts on the doll’s enlarged jacket and flies away, satisfied. There are other teleports in this fictional sci-fi universe that work exactly like they supposed to work, in this or all other worlds, there was absolutely no problem in calling that thing “an enlargement machine” or something, yet for no apparent reason they named it “a teleport” and used it to solve a couple of puzzles by enlarging inventory. This happens at the very beginning when we are locked in one location, so it’s not hard to figure out the solution. But it totally follows a moon logic as in “no logic whatsoever”.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Delores discovered another teleporter that didn’t work right in The Feeble Files.  I think both machines just scrambled the molecules in different ways. It was moonish, but I could still suspend my disbelief after it happened.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

There’s a fun cat puzzle in The Blackwell Convergence that uses the ghastly sidekick mechanic and the arcane yet conventional wisdom that cats can detect certain forms of paranormal activity.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

There is a cat-centric game out called Cat and Ghostly Road.  It’s a pretty game with an Asian theme, but I haven’t played it.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Vegetable Party - 14 May 2022 08:33 PM

moon logic is good, leaps of logic are fun if the leaps make sense in relation to the steps they represent in the logic of daily life. As long as the leaps can be consequently explained by the game’s internal logic, there’s beauty in this type of game design.

You advocate intelligent design which forces the player to think out-of-the-box. Great. I’m all for it. But using the words “moon logic” in a subversive way won’t change the reality of very bad puzzles that can only be solved by trial-and-error. An NPC wants you to get him a specific object. You search high and low, talk to everybody… nothing. So what do you do? You cover a speed-road sign and the object you need falls off a truck which has to brake suddenly bc it didn’t slow down. How do you know the object will be on this truck? You don’t. How do you know the object will fall off the truck? You don’t. Does the solution make sense in the game world? None whatsoever. I didn’t make it up, I’m sure some people will recognize this idiotic puzzle, which fully deserves to be labeled moon logic.

LittleRose - 15 May 2022 07:17 AM

It’s only a moon logic solution to me if no knowledge or ingame logic in the (real or fictional) world can help me figure it out on my own.

Yes. But it would still be moon logic if the game gave you lots of hints.

Doom - 15 May 2022 09:57 AM

That’s how I understand moon logic as well. It’s just the kind of logic that makes no sense in any context, only in the developer’s own head. The in-game logic is usually referred to just like that: the game logic. Of course, different people might consider different puzzles as “making no sense”.

There’s a large gray area. Discworld 1 is one of my alltime favorite games and I think the absurdly difficult puzzles do make perfect sense in Terry Pratchett’s wonderful world. But lots of people label them moon logic. Discworld 2 on the other hand went too far in the wrong direction. I might give it a second chance to see if I still feel the same about its puzzles.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 16 May 2022 11:50 AM

I didn’t make it up, I’m sure some people will recognize this idiotic puzzle, which fully deserves to be labeled moon logic.

Yep, causing a potentially lethal crash to *accidentally* get a lemon. That’s Secret Files: Tunguska, alright.
Try everything on everything until something unrelated happens…  Shifty Eyed

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Yes, this is exactly THE PUZZLE I mentioned in the Tunguska thread, the only puzzle from this game that bothers me up to this day - unlike the actual cat puzzle also mentioned in the thread, I still don’t remember it, so it wasn’t that bad I assume? Smile

Lady Kestrel - 15 May 2022 03:53 PM

Delores discovered another teleporter that didn’t work right in The Feeble Files.  I think both machines just scrambled the molecules in different ways. It was moonish, but I could still suspend my disbelief after it happened.

It probably happens much later in the game? I lost patience when the game froze as I was shooting birds as SAM, after hours of walking, fighting the interface and searching empty screens for hot spots, so I just uninstalled it (as I recall NOW, same thing happened on my first playthrough, but I was more stubborn back then). Of course, the teleporter puzzle still happens before we get a chance to explore anything. It’s like they intentionally tried to create the most unfriendly game - a well-written, well-acted, well-designed when it comes to complex puzzles, but just so… mean to the gamer Frown

Karlok - 16 May 2022 11:50 AM

There’s a large gray area. Discworld 1 is one of my alltime favorite games and I think the absurdly difficult puzzles do make perfect sense in Terry Pratchett’s wonderful world. But lots of people label them moon logic. Discworld 2 on the other hand went too far in the wrong direction. I might give it a second chance to see if I still feel the same about its puzzles.

This is how I felt too. By the time I finally got my hands on Discworld, I was already aware of its reputation as an unbeatable game, so, as usual, I decided to beat it without a walkthrough or die trying. And, surprisingly, I was able to make it through much of the game until I got stuck badly on the butterfly puzzle. It probably also followed some Pratchett or cartoon logic, but I didn’t get it. Yet much later, when I was playing Discworld 2, I actually missed this zaniness, the game just felt uninspired and rushed in comparison.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 16 May 2022 04:10 PM

Yes, this is exactly THE PUZZLE I mentioned in the Tunguska thread, the only puzzle from this game that bothers me up to this day - unlike the actual cat puzzle also mentioned in the thread, I still don’t remember it, so it wasn’t that bad I assume? Smile

Not quite as bad as the truck puzzle, but still pretty bad. Don’t you remember that early in the game you want to overhear a conversation in a house you can’t enter?

This is how I felt too. By the time I finally got my hands on Discworld, I was already aware of its reputation as an unbeatable game, so, as usual, I decided to beat it without a walkthrough or die trying. And, surprisingly, I was able to make it through much of the game until I got stuck badly on the butterfly puzzle. It probably also followed some Pratchett or cartoon logic, but I didn’t get it.

I solved that puzzle more or less by accident. Moths are drawn to light, so I tried to use the butterfly on the lamp, and presto! I suppose the drenched monk is the result of the butterfly effect. Makes sense…? Yeah, somewhat. Smile

Yet much later, when I was playing Discworld 2, I actually missed this zaniness, the game just felt uninspired and rushed in comparison.

I installed DW2 last night and had to get used to the art style again. Huuu! But I’ll keep playing until I reach the point where it stops being fun.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Doom - 16 May 2022 04:10 PM

It probably happens much later in the game? I lost patience when the game froze as I was shooting birds as SAM, after hours of walking, fighting the interface and searching empty screens for hot spots, so I just uninstalled it (as I recall NOW, same thing happened on my first playthrough, but I was more stubborn back then). Of course, the teleporter puzzle still happens before we get a chance to explore anything. It’s like they intentionally tried to create the most unfriendly game - a well-written, well-acted, well-designed when it comes to complex puzzles, but just so… mean to the gamer Frown

Despite quite a few tough puzzles, it does have one of the best game endings ever.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Karlok - 17 May 2022 07:55 AM

Not quite as bad as the truck puzzle, but still pretty bad. Don’t you remember that early in the game you want to overhear a conversation in a house you can’t enter?

I’m afraid not, I literally have no memory of the plot or puzzles (except for the truck scene), yet I recall whole chapters from the sequel which I did find to be a better game.

I solved that puzzle more or less by accident. Moths are drawn to light, so I tried to use the butterfly on the lamp, and presto! I suppose the drenched monk is the result of the butterfly effect. Makes sense…? Yeah, somewhat. Smile

Ohh… that’s deep Smile But I wish the butterfly just freed itself from the luggage and flew towards the light - and it would really fit the whole “living creature that carries your inventory” gig which I found amusing.

Lady Kestrel - 17 May 2022 03:41 PM

Despite quite a few tough puzzles, it does have one of the best game endings ever.

I actually enjoyed all the complex puzzles (the code one was my favourite), it’s the game mechanics and the stupid arcade that keep my away from the game. And like with Tunguska, I don’t remember the ending unfortunately…

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Suddenly I felt an urge to name the best PIG puzzle out there - and that was in the original Simon the Sorcerer. “Fear not, your saviour is here!.. What did I do to deserve all this?!” Grin

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2022-06-24

PM

So simple yet still pretty memorable

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2022-06-24

PM

Also, this one from The Knobbly Crook

Really liked Cat Museum too, especially the record player puzzle in the prologue.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

mrpmosh - 24 June 2022 02:43 PM

Also, this one from The Knobbly Crook

Really liked Cat Museum too, especially the record player puzzle in the prologue.

very artistic, quite creepy!

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2018-02-08

PM

As for GK3 I don’t think the cat is even involved in the problematic part. But it’s followed up by gluing cat-hair to your upper lip with maple syrup, a pretty outrageous example of moonlogic. And the motivation for doing so is making a disguise to steal your best/only friend’s reserved spot at the rental shop using a stolen passport, a fairly good example of the sociopathic tendencies shared by most AG protagonists.

I had a lot of fun with this puzzle and I love Gabriel as a protagonist, but I can see how the whole thing could be used as a bad example of AG in general.

Message #43

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top