• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES – nirvanA Initiative

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Thought we should have a thread for one of the most anticipated Japanese adventure games coming out within the next few months: AI: The Somnium Files - nirvanA Initiative. Sequel to the original Somnium Files and the latest game by Kotaro Uchikoshi who is perhaps best known for the Zero Escape series.

Here’s all the info we’ve got so far:

-Story Decription - (from Spike-Chunsoft’s website)

Six years ago, the right half of a corpse was discovered. The left half was never found…until six years later, completely fresh with no signs of decay. Now, Special Agents Mizuki and Ryuki, along with their AI partners Aiba and Tama, are tasked to solve the bizarre Half Body serial killings while unveiling the mysterious plot known only as the Nirvana Initiative…

-Gameplay Details - (from Spike-Chunsoft’s website)

Investigation Part: AI-Ball’s New Capabilities
During Investigation, the story unfolds as players navigate the real world, examine crime scenes, and conduct interviews with suspects and witnesses. The main protagonists Mizuki and Ryuki each have a prosthesis in their left eye socket. This prosthesis or “AI-Ball” is equipped with advanced artificial intelligence, as well as visual functions such as X-ray and thermal imaging that can help them uncover clues.

For the sequel, AI-Ball’s features will be expanded. New capabilities include “Virtual Reality” in which special visual functions are applied to an entire space, while “Truth Reconstruction” reproduces an incident as if it were a scene from a television drama. The new “Wink Psync’’ function will let players easily read the thoughts of others. Recognizing the lies and concerns of other parties will help move the investigation forward.

Somnium Part: Who hasn’t dreamt of flying?
During a Somnium, players can uncover new clues. Agents or “Psyncers” use Psync machine to enter the dreams of suspects and key witnesses. In the dream world, Mizuki’s AI-Ball Aiba or Ryuki’s AI-Ball Tama appear as women and assist their agents by conducting investigations on their behalf. The Psyncer can stay in the subject’s dream for only six minutes. The dream world’s structure is based on the subject’s personality and memories, and each world has its own rules. The object of a Somnium is to enter the deep consciousness of a subject, and unlock “Mental Locks” that hinder the investigation, all within the time limit.

The Somnium parts of this game will introduce new aerial and underwater dream worlds. In the original title, players could only move about on land, but with the introduction of upwards and downwards movement, players will experience a much richer variety of dream worlds.

-Interview Quotes- (from Nintendo Life and Famitsu)

Would new players who haven’t played the first game be okay starting with nirvanA Initiative?

No problem at all. The main plot of this game has no relation to the first game at all. Characters that are involved in the inciting incident are mainly new characters. With it being a “new case that needs to be solved,” the new characters are on completely equal footing as the previous title’s characters.

There’s even a special setting for “display information from the previous game for returning players” which you can use to enjoy the story in a deeper way.

Main characters from the previous game will appear, but their backstories and relationships are properly explained, so there aren’t too many points that you’d need to understand from the previous game.
This game also does not spoil anything from the previous title. It’s totally possible to play AI2 and then play AI1.

There’s even a special setting for “display information from the previous game for returning players” which you can use to enjoy the story in a deeper way. Isn’t that nice of us?

- Does the story also diverge just like the previous game?

Uchikoshi: Yes, and it features multiple endings this time as well.

Okada: Uchikoshi’s scenario is even more incredible than before, so I think you’re sure to be satisfied.
As a member of the development team, I already knew all of it, but I really wished I could play it as if I were a new player who didn’t know anything. (laughs)

Who else is looking forward to this one? I like that they’re adding more interactivity to the investigation parts. The first game is probably my favorite from Uchikoshi, either that or 999. Can’t wait to dive back into this world.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I played the first game and liked it, but I need to finish it, this one looks well worth buying as well.

I’d better get off the pot and finish the first one.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Oh im with you, its my favorite uchikoshi story from start to finish. With the zero escape games im not happy with the plot by the time they finish.. but this was great. From the dark theme and atmosphere, to that strangely endearing song and weird sillyness. I will certainly have to play this sequel.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Adv_Lvr - 26 March 2022 08:07 AM

I played the first game and liked it, but I need to finish it, this one looks well worth buying as well.

Heart

IDK how far you got but 100% def finish the game. I know your familiar with Uchikoshi’s writing, so you know how crazy his stories can get. Somnium Files has the best balance of insanity and satisfying, coherent, development IMO.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2022-02-28

PM

Really looking forward to playing this. Virtue’s Last Reward is one of my favourite games.

Employee A, my solo-developed game about murder in the high tech industry, has a demo available now on PC and Mac.

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1815690/Employee_A/
Itch: https://cross-couloir.itch.io/employee-a

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

PlanetX - 29 March 2022 06:14 PM
Adv_Lvr - 26 March 2022 08:07 AM

Heart

IDK how far you got but 100% def finish the game. I know your familiar with Uchikoshi’s writing, so you know how crazy his stories can get. Somnium Files has the best balance of insanity and satisfying, coherent, development IMO.

His games just keep getting better, I’m looking forward to this one.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Gameplay trailer showing off new puzzles mechanics they’ve added to the investigation parts. As well as some extra stuff that wasn’t discussed in the Spike Chunsoft blog or Famitsu article.

This looks great, more variety to the investigation segments is definitely a good area to improve over the first game.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

(Steam Page)

It’s out now! Gonna be diving into this later today, can’t wait!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I loved the first game but this is 60€ Frown
Bah, will have to wait for some kind of sale.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top