• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieNelza

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

2021 Aggies

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I think it just went up. Smile

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

Vegetable Party - 11 February 2022 02:03 PM

I think it just went up. Smile

Very good review! I agree with the minus-points, although the game is 5 stars for me, because of the rest :-)

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Congratulations to Mutropolis, the best traditional adventure! I was expecting to see The Darkside Detective taking half of the awards, including this one, it has a strong fanbase (why I feel kinda bad for Inspector Waffles which happened to be released same year), but Mutropolis was just too good Smile The fight between The Great Ace Attorney and The Forgotten City for the best non-traditional/adventure of the year was also epic, but I guess it’s just fair that the later won - like I mentioned before, AA is not an original 2021 release after all. Well done everyone!

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Congrats to Overboard, winning an Aggie! I just loved that game, it deserves the best concept in an adventure game award!

Also congrats to Encodya for best graphics, it’s simply a beautiful game to look at.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Interesting that we the readers were once again much more conservative in our choice for GOTY (Darkside Detective 2) than the staff (The Forgotten City). I guess that’s to be expected given the trend over the past few years. Although The Forgotten City seemed to be our second most popular choice, but for me watching the trailer it looks more like an action game than an adventure game so I’m still not that interested in it.

However, I added a bunch of games to my must-play list: Life is Strange: True Colors, Chicory: A Colorful Tale, Milo and the Magpies, Encodya and Mutropolis. Looking forward to catching up on some of the games I missed.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

TheLongestJourney - 19 February 2022 01:33 AM

but for me watching the trailer it looks more like an action game than an adventure game so I’m still not that interested in it.

It’s not, there’s a few instances that involve shooting a bow & arrow, 90% of which is isolated to one specific section that lasts ~ 30 min. The little action in the game is far from being part of the main gameplay.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Also, I’m glad it won the readers choice, but if you think Road 96 has a better soundtrack than Great Ace Attorney… Respectfully, you’re smoking crushed up light bulb filaments. You’re high on moon rocks or some futuristic drug that hasn’t hit the general populous yet.

I say that with all due respect.

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

PlanetX - 19 February 2022 08:41 PM

but for me watching the trailer it looks more like an action game than an adventure game so I’m still not that interested in it.

It’s not, there’s a few instances that involve shooting a bow & arrow, 90% of which is isolated to one specific section that lasts ~ 30 min. The little action in the game is far from being part of the main gameplay.

Is there death in it though? I have been weary of their inclusion of games that require more reflexes like when they gave Outer Wilds AOTY in 2019. I really disliked how death worked in that game.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

TheLongestJourney - 20 February 2022 08:15 AM

Is there death in it though? I have been weary of their inclusion of games that require more reflexes like when they gave Outer Wilds AOTY in 2019. I really disliked how death worked in that game.

You can die but the death itself is not a big factor. Without getting getting spoilery, there’s an aspect to the game where statues attack you if you break a certain agreement. When that happens you have to run back to a particular spot to restart the time loop. I think I might have died to them once, but IIRC the only penalty is quickly reloading a generous checkpoint.

So I’d say that death is present but even less of a factor than old Sierra games. It’s not punishing and the main challenge of the game is making clever use of the time loop to progress the narrative, not avoiding death.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Interesting that we the readers were once again much more conservative in our choice for GOTY (Darkside Detective 2) than the staff (The Forgotten City). I guess that’s to be expected given the trend over the past few years. Although The Forgotten City seemed to be our second most popular choice, but for me watching the trailer it looks more like an action game than an adventure game so I’m still not that interested in it.

However, I added a bunch of games to my must-play list: Life is Strange: True Colors, Chicory: A Colorful Tale, Milo and the Magpies, Encodya and Mutropolis. Looking forward to catching up on some of the games I missed.

Yes, my must play list expanded greatly too because of the Aggie awards. I’ve got to give Darkside Detective 2 a try, it sounds like a great game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

PlanetX - 21 February 2022 07:10 AM

You can die but the death itself is not a big factor. Without getting getting spoilery, there’s an aspect to the game where statues attack you if you break a certain agreement. When that happens you have to run back to a particular spot to restart the time loop. I think I might have died to them once, but IIRC the only penalty is quickly reloading a generous checkpoint.

So I’d say that death is present but even less of a factor than old Sierra games. It’s not punishing and the main challenge of the game is making clever use of the time loop to progress the narrative, not avoiding death.

Okay, that doesn’t sound too bad. I might give it a shot someday, but still not high of a priority.

Adv_Lvr - 21 February 2022 03:00 PM

Yes, my must play list expanded greatly too because of the Aggie awards. I’ve got to give Darkside Detective 2 a try, it sounds like a great game.

Heart

Yes, Darkside Detective 2 is recommended if you’ve played the first one. I think between the Staff and Reader’s choice finalists they did get to a good list of titles to check out. I’m playing Chicory and Life is Strange True Colors now and both I would say are definitely worth playing, but so far aren’t making me regret my voting choices.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

TheLongestJourney - 23 February 2022 01:14 AM
PlanetX - 21 February 2022 07:10 AM

Okay, that doesn’t sound too bad. I might give it a shot someday, but still not high of a priority.

Adv_Lvr - 21 February 2022 03:00 PM

Heart

Yes, Darkside Detective 2 is recommended if you’ve played the first one. I think between the Staff and Reader’s choice finalists they did get to a good list of titles to check out. I’m playing Chicory and Life is Strange True Colors now and both I would say are definitely worth playing, but so far aren’t making me regret my voting choices.

I haven’t played the first one, so I’ll play that one first.

Heart

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I have some updates to my previous posts now that I’ve completed a few more 2021 games.

B Tier: Life is Strange:True Colors and Milo and the Magpies

C Tier: Conspiracy!

Now Playing: Chicory: A Colorful Tale and Mutropolis (Only a few hours into each and they’re both feeling like they will end up in the C Tier for me)

Backlog: The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (I picked up the game in the latest sale, but I likely won’t get to it for awhile since I want to play through the original trilogy first.)

Changes from my previous votes:

Best Character: Alex Chen (Obviously she is great)
Best Acting (Voice or Live Action): Life is Strange: True Colors (Definitely the stand-out part of the game.)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top