• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieNelza

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

2021 Aggies

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

My favorite by far is Sherlock Holmes Chapter One. I am surprized that there is still no review on the site.
I played ot for 99 hours, and am in the middle of my third playthrough. Until now skipping combat, but maybe I’ll try to get even that right :-)
I think this is the best game I played ever.

For me, it would be entitled to:
Best story (not nominated),
Best writing - Drama (nominated)
Best character (not nominated)
Best setting (not nominated)
Best animation (nominated)
Best music (I love it how street musicians are used) (not nominated)
Best acting (nominated)
Best non-traditional adventure (nominated)
And of course: Best adventure of 2021.

Does anyone know why it is neglected here? Will there be a review, someday?

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

PlanetX - 06 February 2022 06:19 PM

Longest Journey’s post reminds me I need to play the Famicom Detective Club switch remakes. At least The Missing Heir, since I’ve already played the SNES version of the 2nd game, but I’ve heard a couple times now that the first one is better.

The first one is more of a typical murder mystery which is why I liked it so much, the second one the story just never clicked for me. In terms of visual novels they look absolutely great on the Switch. The production value is really high with nice transitions when visiting new locations and I find the presentation to be a lot nicer than other games in the genre.

Advie - 06 February 2022 06:43 PM

it is funny how people appreciate obscure titles of a genre is much obscure on its own, to each is his opinion i know, but i need to express this reaction

exactly what would a ‘good’ game like Tux and Fanny winning best of the year means, i am not against playing small indies or low pixel games AT ALL, I love it, but i wanna see adventure games presented at least as it was back at the Aughts decade, with fine graphics, voice acting, and all the sauces

i don’t have the privilege of being able to play 15-20 AGs a year, if played 7-10 that would be great, and if I am gonna play less than I used to, I need to have a quality ‘meal’ each time i do…. yeah, i do envy those who can do it differently and play more to the extent of being able to try those obscures of them all

I also agree that it would be nicer to have more high production adventure games released, but unfortunately the economics are a lot different than they were back in the aughts. It just costs a lot more money to make a game that looks as nice as other games by major publishers these days that games need to reach a much bigger audience than they did back then to recoup costs. That comes at the expense of less innovative gameplay and narrative, which is why I gravitate towards indie games so much.

Another thing that I didn’t mention that makes Tux and Fanny so special is the sense when playing it that anything is possible. It was constantly throwing new interesting mechanics at you so you never new what was going to happen after you solved a puzzle. That feeling of novelty happens so rarely in games for me anymore. It’s why the game resonated so strongly with me.

I also understand the concern of how it looks that adventure game players are stuck in the past and just want to play games that look and play exactly like the LucasArts and Sierra classics. Just look at our last few Reader’s Choice picks for Best Adventure: Röki, Whispers of a Machine and Unavowed. While all three do have some modern game design elements, they primarily play (and in the case of WOAM and Unavowed look) like streamlined versions of retro games. Even though Tux and Fanny has a more simplistic art style it is much more innovative in its gameplay.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

right on, and the core of course has to always overcome the superficiality/outlook, especially for a genre and its fans who by any means should be attracted to the brains, not the body that it is represented in.

take Encodya for example, a beautiful looking game, but misses the whole point by neglecting all its scenes and environments surroundings to only the ‘hotpots’ concerning the puzzles at the game; there is no description for anything unless it serves a puzzle or so, even going far to have a hotspot-revealer for the items to be picked, but not the usual all interactive spots revealer, which again missing the whole point, one game either go for pixel hunt or hotspot revealer, cant be done in a sorta middle ground like here. which all in all destroys the idea of exploration, which is a main pillar at any adventure.

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

I don’t usually play a lot of adventure games the year they are released, but I played a handful this time. Here were my votes for some of the categories

Best Story: The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

Best Writing - Comedy: Mutropolis

Best Writing - Drama: Life is Strange: True Colors

Best Character: Isis from Mutropolis

Best Setting: Strangeland

Best Music: Life is Strange : True Colors

Best Acting: Life is Strange: True Colors

Best Adventure: The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

Currently Playing: Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I put my votes in for readers choice,  I hope a few of my choices result in Aggie awards. For me, it was a solid year, several AA level games released that got great reviews. These games were also covered by other major gaming websites and were well reviewed there also.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1266

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

sylv - 07 February 2022 02:29 AM

My favorite by far is Sherlock Holmes Chapter One. I am surprized that there is still no review on the site.
I played ot for 99 hours, and am in the middle of my third playthrough. Until now skipping combat, but maybe I’ll try to get even that right :-)

For me, it would be entitled to:
Best story (not nominated),
Best writing - Drama (nominated)
Best character (not nominated)
Best setting (not nominated)
Best animation (nominated)
Best music (I love it how street musicians are used) (not nominated)
Best acting (nominated)
Best non-traditional adventure (nominated)
And of course: Best adventure of 2021.

Someone who agrees with me at last! I wouldn’t say is the best adventure game for the year (Strangeland would get my vote) but defintely one of the bests. And the music should have been nominated, in my humble opinion.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

walas74 - 08 February 2022 03:26 PM

Someone who agrees with me at last! I wouldn’t say is the best adventure game for the year (Strangeland would get my vote) but defintely one of the bests. And the music should have been nominated, in my humble opinion.

I did not play Strangeland. When you are a fellow lover of SH chapter one, I’ll definitely try that one!

About the music: I agree. It is the first game in which I did not turn down the volume of the music. It is perfectly integrated in the game, and adds to the athmosphere.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

sylv - 09 February 2022 02:52 AM
walas74 - 08 February 2022 03:26 PM

I did not play Strangeland. When you are a fellow lover of SH chapter one, I’ll definitely try that one!

About the music: I agree. It is the first game in which I did not turn t=down the volume of the music. It is perfectly integrated in the game, and adds to the athmosphere.

Thanks for the confidence, but I must warn you: playing Strangeland is an emotional journey as it is a dark game, inspired by love and pain.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

(...)

That’s quite a recommendation. Smile I think the combat you’re referring to might have thrown us off, most of us tend to view action-adventure (perhaps unfairly) as a separate genre.

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

Vegetable Party - 09 February 2022 04:19 AM

I think the combat you’re referring to might have thrown us off, most of us tend to view action-adventure (perhaps unfairly) as a separate genre.

You can play it entirely without the combat, with one exception (and you can easily shoot the man instead of trying to handcuff him).

I think the game should have been developed without the combat. It does not add anything…

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I checked out some footage (all without combat) and it looks like an interesting adventure game with smooth and clever mechanics.

Perhaps the combat is there as a way to attract fans of games like Assassin’s Creed? It has a similar look, but what I’ve seen is definitely more of a puzzle than an action game.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Vegetable Party - 09 February 2022 06:10 AM

I checked out some footage (all without combat) and it looks like an interesting adventure game with smooth and clever mechanics.

Perhaps the combat is there as a way to attract fans of games like Assassin’s Creed? It has a similar look, but what I’ve seen is definitely more of a puzzle than an action game.

Well, I was the official tester of the Spanish translation and I played it for nearly 100 hours, and I loved each one of them. You can skip almost all combats, they are very repetitive although you can earn good money with them (provided that you don’t kill but only arrest…)

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Pyoro-2 - 05 February 2022 07:28 AM

how can LiS not be in the graphics and animations category (yeahyeah, the excuse is that it’s about style, not just technical competence, but still)?

Great looking game, for sure, and definitely got some votes. But better looking/animated than Sherlock? House of Ashes? The realism-based graphic styles tend to compete directly against each other and split the vote, whereas the more uniquely-styled looks tend to stand on their own.

My favorite by far is Sherlock Holmes Chapter One…

Not neglected at all. Just far more games than people to write about them. Sherlock review is next in line.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

And it’s a game hard to review if you want to do it throughly; main missions, side missions, quest missions…

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

Jackal - 09 February 2022 11:52 AM

Not neglected at all. Just far more games than people to write about them. Sherlock review is next in line.

I look forward to the review!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top