• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieNelza

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #70: Day of the Tentacle

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Few interesting things/trivia about the game’s intro:

- It’s interesting to notice when comparing the original game and Double Fine’s remastered edition, in the remake we can actually see what is written in the letter that Green Tentacle sent to Bernard:

Original

Remastered

- The very first scene in the intro with the bird flying over the mansion, features Ranz des Vaches, the traditional Swiss herdsmen’s song, well known for its inclusion in Gioachino Rossini’s William Tell Overture.

- Schafer and Grossman had a “deal” about the intro credits, and the order of their names would pop up randomly on each start.

- I first played the game as the floppy discs version. I’m not 100% sure, but I believe only the intro had voices in that version, and none of the rest of the gameplay. DOTT is actually the first Lucas Arts game to feature voice acting. According to authors, the game was not originally intended to be fully-voiced, but CD-ROM was beginning to be more and more popular.

- Kyle Balda who did most of the “driving sequence” in the intro, went on to become the animation director at Pixar

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

that’s awesome. Smile

diego - 26 January 2022 09:52 PM

- Kyle Balda who did most of the “driving sequence” in the intro, went on to become the animation director at Pixar

Well deserved, that sequence is really well made.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

One thing you should know before deciding if you’re going to play with old/new interface:

In the classic mode, whenever you move your mouse over a hotspot, the right mouse click will select the “default” action (e.g. “Talk” when hovering your pointer over people, “Open” for a door, or “Look at” for various objects):

HOWEVER, you can still combine every given verb (Give, Open, Close, Pick up, Look at, Talk to, Use, Push, Pull) on EVERY object, no matter how foolish it might seem, and you’ll get some generic or, occasionally, unique responses.

In the Remastered edition, the verb coin gives you pre-defined number of actions, related to the object (e.g. “Open” and “Close” for doors).

That means that Remastered edition is on the easier side in that regard, as you won’t have to think of all 9 verbs for every object/person in the game. Still, what I like about the old interface is that the inventory is visible all the time (and sometimes, the idea for a puzzle solution can hit you in the head just by noticing an item in the inventory), while in the Remastered edition, you will need to click the middle mouse button to bring on the inventory, or with a short hover in the bottom left corner of the screen and clicking on the inventory button.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Ok guys, we can now officially start the adventure with the first part of the playthrough:

I’ll give you 1 week (until February 4th), to finish the prologue, free the tentacles (uhh… sort of), and plunge into the Colonial America in order to obtain the battery. Stop once the battery is in your (Hoagie’s) possession. If more than 1 person needs more time, we’ll prolong this chapter, and contrary, if everyone breezes before the deadline, we can start with the next part earlier than planned. Please don’t hesitate to state your advancement!

Quote of the day: This must be that Woodstock place Mom and Dad are always talking about!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

I got carried away bc I love DoTT. Shouldn’t have posted, that was stupid of me.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 28 January 2022 09:21 AM

deleted

I got carried away bc I love DoTT. Shouldn’t have posted, that was stupid of me.

I saw that you posted something about Laverne, I just wanted to say that she’s great as a character, and I think a HUGE inspiration for Daedalic for making Edna in Edna & Harvey: The Breakout. Wink

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Nothing wrong with appreciating Laverne or loving DotT!

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Quote of the day: Step one. Find plans. Step two. Save world. Step three. Get out of my house! Let’s get cracking.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I like Dr. Fred Edison a lot. He’s got some of the best lines in the game.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 28 January 2022 09:21 AM

deleted

I saw the post before you deleted it Karlok & it was a very nice post so there wasn’t anything stupid about you posting it. Hope you’re okay.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

How is everyone doing, and what graphics/interface did you choose?

Replaying DOTT reminds me how this is one of the finest examples of “taking everything that isn’t nailed down”. There’s pros and cons of this design logic, but all in all, I miss those kind of games, where you’re challenged with a huge inventory and freedom, even if you have no idea what is it for. And the best part is that Bernard can carry eight hundred seventy-six thousand, six hundred dollars worth of quarters, but refuses to carry bowling ball as it is too heavy. Grin

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Played a little more than an hour today (also i m in the middle of playing great ace attorney chronicles and replaying the witness) and so far i think the game is very funny. Dialogues are great. Tomorrow i ll be looking for oil, vinegar and gold, although i have an idea about the vinegar. Talking with Washington and all those scientists is hilarious.

Total Posts: 515

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I may join this CP. Played DotT around 20 years ago and have fond memories of it. I figure this is a good opportunity to play the remastered version. Played that for a couple of hours last night and think I’ll continue, even though I felt hopelessly stuck when I stopped playing.

I switched to the old graphics/interface a couple of times but decided I’ll continue on with the remastered version. The original sure has a lot of charm, but I think they did a good job with the remastered graphics, sound and interface. But a certain “something” is lost in the translation imo.

The puzzles so far are of the, for the time, typical do-everything-that’s-possible-to-do variety. Not much really makes sense at first, but you make Bernard do it because he can. At least the main objectives of messing around with the surroundings, objects and people are clear enough. And it’s very entertaining! Hopefully I’m able to get myself unstuck later this evening.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

The game is pretty wacky about hints and puzzles. Some solutions, even after you found them, take some real mental gymnastics to make sense. If your brain has not been severely deranged by moon logic, this games is like an astronaut training programme. And the shuttle is an outhouse.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I might be able to join in, will see how this week goes.

I have the old CD-rom version and the new Remastered edition. I guess I will try out the remaster because I haven’t played it yet and I did play the original several times. All my playthroughs were probably in the 90s though. The very first time I “played” the game was basically just watching my older brother playing it.

I remember the wacky humour, and the great puzzles. I really appreciated the whole gimmick between 3 protagonists. Very well implemented. And it was one of my favourite games even though I’m not really interested in America’s history and knew very little of it when I was a kid.

With the remaster I am a bit wary about the verb wheel though. Will I be missing out on some great comments for not trying to eat doors or whatever? I agree that the old graphics were great but the new ones look good enough.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top