• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkJdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kathy Rain Directors Cut unofficial CPT

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The day has come. Let’s play Kathy Rain, the directors cut as a group. It an expanded version of the original game:

“The award-winning point-and-click adventure returns in the Director’s Cut with an extended story, additional puzzles, and new areas to explore. Witness the rise of an iconic detective as you uncover a dark and sinister truth hiding behind the calm exterior of a small rural town.”

Here is some visuals to share:

https://www.ign.com/videos/kathy-rain-directors-cut-teaser-trailer

So, boot up the game, play through the first part of the game to make sure it runs OK and stop at the funeral/graveyard. You have until next Thursday to do all that.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Wish I could remember where I got it. I guess I’ll give both GoG and Steam a try, and whichever gives me the discount gets the order. I may be about a week late starting. My wife had back surgery two weeks ago, and is getting discharged from rehab tomorrow. Will be driving her to follow-up doctor’s appointments and the like next week, so playing time will be obviously/justifiably limited.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 31 October 2021 05:47 PM

Wish I could remember where I got it. I guess I’ll give both GoG and Steam a try, and whichever gives me the discount gets the order. I may be about a week late starting. My wife had back surgery two weeks ago, and is getting discharged from rehab tomorrow. Will be driving her to follow-up doctor’s appointments and the like next week, so playing time will be obviously/justifiably limited.

Take your time, we are ready when you are. The game is great, quite a bit better than the original, this will be quite fun!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ok, I’ve got the game up and running, also I’m at the checkpoint, the graveyard/funeral. So far, there’s some added material that added to the story and humor to the game right off the bat.

Krusbert, I’ve got two questions for you:

1) What gave you the idea for a directors cut? It’s a great idea and I’d love “Whispers of a Machine” to get the same treatment.

2) Have you considered a physical release of the game for the Switch via Limited Run games? I’d buy one.

Heart

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

Adv_Lvr - 02 November 2021 07:23 PM

Ok, I’ve got the game up and running, also I’m at the checkpoint, the graveyard. So far, there’s some added material that added to the story and humor to the game right off the bat.

Krusbert, I’ve got two questions for you:

1) What gave you the idea for a directors cut? It’s a great idea and I’d love “Whispers of a Machine” to get the same treatment.

2) Have you considered a physical release of the game for the Switch via Limited Run games? I’d buy one.

Heart

1) I knew I wanted to make a transition from AGS to the Unity game engine for our studio, and I also wished to make Kathy Rain more accessible and bring it to more platforms. So essentially KR: DC started out as a simple porting operation, but when I revisited the game I realized just how much we could add and improve, how many things I had originally cut due to time constraints, and how much I had learned since releasing WoaM, and the project grew from there!

Whispers of a Machine won’t likely see the same treatment, for a number of reasons. It was a co-development with Faravid Interactive and we don’t fully own the IP, so it would be a legal hassle to get the rights to actually add content to the game. Also, WoaM is technically much more complex than KR, so it would be a more time consuming process to port it to a new game engine. Lastly, I think WoaM is a more complete game overall with less flaws than KR!

2) People have asked about this, but it’s difficult to justify physical copies of games in 2021. Typically you need a very successful title for it to be profitable due to the extra costs and logistics. So right now we have no plans for anything like that, but I’d personally love to see a physical edition at some point!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

2) People have asked about this, but it’s difficult to justify physical copies of games in 2021. Typically you need a very successful title for it to be profitable due to the extra costs and logistics. So right now we have no plans for anything like that, but I’d personally love to see a physical edition at some point!

You REALLY need to contact Limited Run Games. They specialize in highly rated indie adventure games. They print a run of 5000 and when they are gone, they are gone. I’ve got quite a few on my Switch, they are great. Game collectors are the ones who tend to buy them.

https://limitedrungames.com/

Heart

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

Adv_Lvr - 03 November 2021 07:17 PM

You REALLY a need to contact Limited Run Games. They specialize in highly rated indie adventure games. They print a run of 5000 and when they are gone, they are gone. I’ve got quite a few on my Switch, they are great. Game collectors are the ones who tend to buy them.

https://limitedrungames.com/
Heart

We are aware of Limited Run Smile Our publisher is in regular contact with them and KR: DC will definitely be pitched at some point!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Got the game. (It was from GoG, and I was lucky enough to guess right the first time as to the vendor where I bought the original.) It is installed and ready to play when I’m ready to play it. I’m guessing I will be ready to dive in this coming Tuesday.

I know that seems like a long time, but I have very little time to devote to game playing right now. I’ve got to be there when the physical and occupational therapists arrive since it takes about 2 minutes for her to get to the front door using a walker. I also have to be there for each session so I can learn what they are doing in order to duplicate it. I honestly don’t know how full-time family caregivers do what they do. I do what I do for about six-hours-per-day, and I’m exhausted. All of this will be an unpleasant memory in about four weeks. It is a grind, but the surgery had to happen. There is a limit to the amount of pain you can endure on a daily basis.

So…. I’ve not seen any of the other participants posting. Which is good for me, as my arrival has been delayed. I see that AL has arrived at the first stop, the graveyard. I don’t recall that being mentioned in this playthrough’s directions. It may have been an assumed thing from the last playthrough. Since this is a different, if not “new” game, and we hope we will have “new” players, those assumptions may not work.

For me, for the time being, I would love it if the schedule is limited to about two hours of actual game play/week. If others need a faster pace, I’ll just lag a bit behind.

Looking forward to this.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Got the game. (It was from GoG, and I was lucky enough to guess right the first time as to the vendor where I bought the original.) It is installed and ready to play when I’m ready to play it. I’m guessing I will be ready to dive in this coming Tuesday.

That is more than fine. I’ll wait for you. It maybe just the three of us, although one other said they might be free later on too. So, the longer we wait the better.

Just let us know when you reach the graveyard/funeral and we’ll go from there.

This will still be very fun because the developer is here and I HAVE LOTS OF QUESTIONS for him…….

This is my last IPad game before I “Switch” to the Switch and the Alienware PC. So, I’m ending this era on a high note.

Heart

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I bought the game and would be interested in playing it but I should finish Yoomurjak and some other things. Will be checking a bit later.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

millenia - 05 November 2021 01:57 PM

I bought the game and would be interested in playing it but I should finish Yoomurjak and some other things. Will be checking a bit later.

Welcome aboard! Glad to have u. This is a rare treat, the developer is hanging out with us. We are taking it slow, so you’ve got plenty of time. Post when u can.

So far, I’m loven the Directors Cut, much improved over the original.

Heart

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Okay, I’ve played up until I reached the funeral & waiting there.  Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Should be ready to start playing tomorrow. It’s really hard to fit in more than 20 minutes here and there throughout the day. Will do my best.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

chrissie - 08 November 2021 05:18 PM

Okay, I’ve played up until I reached the funeral & waiting there.  Smile

We are still waiting on a few people, want to give them a couple more days or go forward. Let me know.

Heart

Total Posts: 1261

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi!

I am sorry but I won’t be joining this CTP as I have played the game several times to test the translation I made of the new lines and achievements, but I am confident you will like it even more than the original one.

Long live to Kathy Rain!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m okay to wait a few days.  Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top