• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Crappy Games You Enjoy Anyway

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ok, I bought it cheap and despite the terrible reviews I’m enjoying it. It does indeed deserve it’s terrible reviews, it simply sucks hard.

Despite all of that, I’m enjoying the game, it’s actually quite funny, although the humor maybe unintentional. It’s defiantly a guilty pleasure.

The game is…….The Rockin Dead.

The Rockin Dead was 3 dollars at half-price books. It’s in 3D which is kinda cool.

How about you……any games with lots of bad reviews you enjoyed anyway……..?

https://images.app.goo.gl/gpp3BtYF7rRxKbwR7

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Escape from Monkey Island was supposedly dreadful, but to me it was just another entertaining entry in the series.

The Beavis & Butthead games. “Do U” got 1.5 stars here but I loved it, guilty pleasure perhaps even though I think it’s often very clever cultural satire.

Virginia - most people found it too surreal, which I can understand. I just don’t agree.

Santa Fe Mysteries - What can I say, I’m a sucker for playing a detective with FMV people talking to me.

Capri games - ‘Tourism simulator’ was the critical response, and I love tourism so…  Mini Smile

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Another one I liked was The Silver Case. Bought it very cheap and loved it. It was very creepy and the plot different from the norm, very strange. Reviews are correct however, puzzles could be way better.

I bought it cheap before I read any reviews, or else I may not have bought it. The game does have a cult following.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I actually enjoy(ed) one of the most berated games there is. Yep, The Mystery Of The Druids!
Yes, it is a bad game. There’s been heaps of criticism over the years and rightly so given the impossible situations Brent Halligan (I couldn’t remember his name so dug out my original game box to discover that the game came on 3 CDs Gasp) is put in like not being able to use his phone at Scotland Yard Content but there’s actually a very good game there trying to break through and it’s that that I really enjoyed. The big problem was getting past the “you’re kidding, right?” moments.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

many many ‘crappy’ things i ve enjoyed thru the years, crappy in the sense that no one ever mentions them or being unpolished.
\
Alternativa 1st one comes to mine, loved the Bladerunner atmosphere

Next Life, i guess it has 2 stars, but i ve played it 3 times thru the year, and i really enjoyed each time.

Shardlight which is an amazing adventure and never being mentioned as top a WadjetEyes adventure loved it music very very much!

Manhunter series, top top games, in my opinion, only its arcade themes that always really put me off

LSL2 with all its deaths (traps) holds a very good memory for me… and so on

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

The Legend of Kyrandia (Fables & Fiends).

I’m not the only one; the official AG.com review gives it 4 out 5 stars, as does the only user review. Most of its critical reception at the time was in the good - very good category as well.

Baron Blubba recently panned this game. With good reason: its puzzles are trail and error, by design. Every mechanical part of the game is meant to suggest a Sierra-style adventure, but there’s no puzzle box under the cover. It’s just a crate.

The music, though.. whenever I mention this game, I talk about it: Frank Klepacki really did something cool with the soundtrack. To me, it carries the entire experience.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I don’t know if they’re really considered crappy, but there was a period of time about 10 years ago where there weren’t really any new adventure games that were interesting me and for some reason I decided to try the Nancy Drew games (starting with the first), and had quite a bit of fun with them.

The puzzles weren’t good.  The stories weren’t that good.  But they were good campy fun.  Up until a point at least.  I did lose interest eventually and never went back.  But I plowed through quite a few of those games, so they definitely hit the spot for me at that point in time.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I can think of some guilty pleasures in the casual game arena, but few, if any in AG. I’d be more likely to think of highly regarded AGs that I though were absolute crap.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Detective Mosely - 01 October 2021 09:05 PM

I don’t know if they’re really considered crappy, but there was a period of time about 10 years ago where there weren’t really any new adventure games that were interesting me and for some reason I decided to try the Nancy Drew games (starting with the first), and had quite a bit of fun with them.

The puzzles weren’t good.  The stories weren’t that good.  But they were good campy fun.  Up until a point at least.  I did lose interest eventually and never went back.  But I plowed through quite a few of those games, so they definitely hit the spot for me at that point in time.

Speaking of Nancy Drew, they actually made a few for the Nintendo DS, one of which, The Clue Benders Society, I really liked it and it got terrible reviews. To me, it was a hoot and very different from the PC Nancy Drew games in that it played from a third party perspective. For a DS game, the graphics were quite good.

Heart

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Adv_Lvr - 30 September 2021 09:46 PM

How about you……any games with lots of bad reviews you enjoyed anyway……..?

No game I enjoy could ever be called “Crappy”, of course. Tongue

Infocom’s Journey: The Quest Begins was, I believe, fairly well reviewed back in the day. In more recent time I’ve heard some pretty harsh words about it. (The last one, in particular, calls it “the worst adventure game ever made”. I can think of several games much more deserving of that title!)

I will say that it’s a deeply flawed game. Also, it was billed as the first part of a trilogy but the sequels never happened. I still love it though, even though it clearly doesn’t love me back.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I actually liked Johnny Mneumonic the game. It’s a very cheesy FMV game with polarizing reviews when released, but I enjoyed it anyway back in the day. I don’t have a clue if it runs on a modern computer but I’ll give it a try and see what happens.

Heart

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Detective Mosely - 01 October 2021 09:05 PM

I played seveal Nancy Drews a few years back (or ten) and also enjoyed them a lot. And then suddenly lost the appetite for them. I might give the ones I have and didn’t play yet another try at some point, see if they could still be fun.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2020-01-21

PM

^ I always thought the Nancy Drew games looked charming.

For me, I fell in love with Heavy Metal Magazine about ten years ago and found myself consuming every bit of media even remotely tied to them, including video games. Druuna: Morbus Gravis and Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals are two guilty pleasures of mine. In all fairness, Nikopol isn’t terrible, just a bit oblique from what I remember. Druuna is near unplayable, but the feeling of accomplishment in actually beating that game was pretty good.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

For sure Syberia 3. Horrid VA, pretty pointless/tacked-on plot, stiff animation, bad controls, bugs/glitches for days, shit cliffhanger ending, among other issues.

Still those over the top European locales remained magical for me, I enjoyed the puzzles and Oscar & Kate’s dynamic is still great. The game gets enough wrong that I couldn’t call it anything other than bad, but it’s the most fun I’ve had playing a bad game.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Jabod - 01 October 2021 09:41 AM

I actually enjoy(ed) one of the most berated games there is. Yep, The Mystery Of The Druids!
Yes, it is a bad game. There’s been heaps of criticism over the years and rightly so given the impossible situations Brent Halligan (I couldn’t remember his name so dug out my original game box to discover that the game came on 3 CDs Gasp) is put in like not being able to use his phone at Scotland Yard Content but there’s actually a very good game there trying to break through and it’s that that I really enjoyed. The big problem was getting past the “you’re kidding, right?” moments.

Completely agree. I can’t argue with most of the criticism thrown at the game, but I still enjoyed it. Maybe because there’s just something I like about Brent Halligan.

Also, maybe I’m just completely heartless, but I thought the whole stealing from the homeless guy thing was quite funny in the context of Brent’s character and the ridiculousness of the situation!

I may have to give it a replay and see if I still like it.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I Saw Black Clouds got horrible reviews and it got much better on the 2nd playthrough of the game, much longer and more detailed events occurred. I’m actually very happy with the game now.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top